Seventh-Day Adventists/$5,000 offer for one verse

QUESTION: Dear Patricia:

I will give you $5,000 if you can give me just one Bible verse that commands Christians to worship on Sunday or shows the Sabbath is changed to Sunday. Since you are an avowed anti-sabbatarian you should be able to show us all at least one verse that supports the spurious Sabbath that is Sunday worship. If you fail then you prove to all of us that your teaching on the Sabbath not being for Christians is wrong. If you donít answer me then you prove that you are a fake.

I await your reply,

Thank you for the challenge although I must say that I really don't know why you issued it to me. I have never said that Christians are commanded to worship on Sunday. Neither have I ever said that the Sabbath was changed to Sunday. You have assumed some things that I have never said or believe, so the $5,000 challenge is not applicable to me. Sorry!

However , if you would like to issue the same $5,000 challenge to me to prove to you from the Bible and the Bible only (meaning nothing that Ellen White has re-interpreted as truth) that:

1. The Sabbath was given to the Israelites and the Israelites only under the Old Covenant.

2. That New Covenant believers are not under the Old Covenant law.

3. That Gentiles were never under the law and when they became believers the law still did not apply to them.

4. That New Covenant believers find their DAILY rest in Jesus (a Person) and not in a specific day.

5. That believers are free to choose or not to choose a specific day to worship in a building.

6. That the 7th day Sabbath was changed to "Today", etc.....

7. That all believers are now under the New Covenant, a new Priest from the tribe of Judah and under a new system or way of doing things.

Then, I would be more than delighted to accept your $5,000 challenge. My only condition is that the challenge would be contingent only on what the Bible says and it would not be contingent on whether you believe what the Bible says . I can't make you believe anything because that is the work of the Spirit, but I can point you to what the Bible says.

So, if you are so inclined, let's do this!

QUESTION: Dear Patricia:

I am very interested in you proving #4 & #6 above.

Per your request, following are my responses to #4 and #6.

#4 . That New Covenant believers find their DAILY rest in Jesus (a Person) and not in a specific day.

Jesus tells us in Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV) .....

28 "Come to me , all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest .
29  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
30  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Jesus asks us to come to Him so that He can provide rest for our body and soul. A day cannot provide what a Person can.

Paul tells us in Colossians 2:16-17 (NIV) that the religious festivals and sabbaths were all shadows that pointed to Christ.

16  Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.
17  These are a shadow of the things that were to come ; the reality, however, is found in Christ.

Old Testament laws, holidays, and festivals pointed toward Christ. Paul calls them "shadows" of the reality that was to comeóChrist himself. When Christ came, he dispelled the shadows. If we have Christ, we have what we need to know and please God.
Life Application Study Bible.

#6. That the 7th day Sabbath was changed to "Today".

Hebrews 4:1-7 (NIV)
1  Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it.
2  For we also have had the gospel preached to us, just as they did; but the message they heard was of no value to them, because those who heard did not combine it with faith.
3  Now we who have believed enter that rest, just as God has said, "So I declared on oath in my anger, 'They shall never enter my rest.'" And yet his work has been finished since the creation of the world.
4 For somewhere he has spoken about the seventh day in these words: "And on the seventh day God rested from all his work. "
5  And again in the passage above he says, "They shall never enter my rest."
6  It still remains that some will enter that rest, and those who formerly had the gospel preached to them did not go in, because of their disobedience.
7  Therefore God again set a certain day, calling it Today , when a long time later he spoke through David, as was said before: "Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts."

Please take note in verse 4 that God set aside the seventh day to rest from His work but the Israelites could not enter His rest because of unbelief, lack of faith and disobedience (see verses 2, 6).

Verse 6 tells us that some will enter His rest so God AGAIN set a certain day, calling it Today . I'm sure you know that the word 'again' means that something was done before but this time instead of calling it the seventh day, He is calling it Today. Today means everyday because every brand new day is Today. We are to rest in our relationship with Jesus 24/7/365.

God wants us to enter his rest. For the Israelites of Moses' time, this rest was the earthly rest to be found in the Promised Land. For Christians, it is peace with God now and eternal life on a new earth later. We do not need to wait for the next life to enjoy God's rest and peace; we may have it daily now! Our daily rest in the Lord will not end with death but will become an eternal rest in the place that Christ is preparing for us (John 14:1-4).
Life Application Study Bible.

In summary, it's not about a day; it's about a Person, Jesus, the reality that the shadows pointed to.

Seventh-Day Adventists

Patricia Allen

As a former Seventh-day Adventist (SDA), I have insight of value to those who are questioning and/or trying to decide if they should leave or become an SDA. It would be my privilege to discuss SDA church doctrine, structure, Ellen White, the old and new covenants, and their various beliefs. The Bible will be my main source of reference and all quotes, etc. will be documented. I understand that there are different variants of Adventists, but I am only familiar with what I would call traditional or main stream.

I was a Seventh-day Adventist for over 50 years. I attended their schools and I was always active in the churches I attended. I also worked for the denomination for 37 years. Since I was educated in their schools from Grade 1, and because what I was taught came from the Bible, I never questioned my beliefs. I considered myself as one whom the Lord had chosen to bring out of darkness into His marvelous light. In the year 2005, I became keenly aware that Ellen White contradicted the Scriptures numerous times and plagiarized some of her most popular writings. At this point, I had to seriously consider studying for myself with the aid of the Holy Spirit to see if indeed I really had the truth. Sad to say, I discovered that I was deluded and deliberately deceived by the church I loved and served. In 2010, I requested that my name be withdrawn from the membership roster of the church. Since then, it has been my passion to tell those in the SDA church and those considering joining Adventism, the truth and freedom that I have discovered and enjoy daily. I interact on Facebook with SDAs frequently regarding their beliefs and doctrines compared to the Bible. In addition to answering questions on this site, I have a blog ( and the purpose of my articles is to expose the false doctrines of the SDA church After 50 plus years of trying to 'work' my way, I have discovered the sweet rest in the finished work of my Savior. I've also discovered that there is nothing that I have ever done to make Jesus love me less and there is nothing that I can ever do to make Jesus love me more. Jesus just loves me and this I know!

M.A.O.M. degree (Master of Arts in Organizational Management). I also have a B.A.I.C. degree (Born Again in Christ). My calling is to help spread the Good News of the Gospel and to help lift the veil by sharing Jesus, Who is the Truth and the Light.