Seventh-Day Adventists/$5,000 offer for one verse

Frank wrote at 2012-12-31 22:06:58
<<< The Expert's answer: >>>

First, I don’t believe that the 7th day Sabbath was changed to the 1st day of the week. Second, I don’t support as necessary for Christians worship on the “spurious Sabbath” as you call worship on Sunday. Therefore, I wouldn’t even consider taking up your challenge because I agree that there is no verse that commands that Christians only worship on Sunday or that shows the Sabbath was changed to Sunday. There are those who do believe that the Sabbath is now on Sunday and that we must worship on Sunday, however, I’m not one of them. So my inability to meet your requirements does not mean that I’m wrong.

<<< SDA’s believe the Ten Commandments written by God in stone represent the entire broken law. They believe it is the law that Adam and Eve transgressed and the law whose principles Christ wants to write in the hearts and minds of those He died to redeem. “For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:” (Hebrews 8:10 KJV) >>>

Your challenge is an old sabbatarian ploy designed to take the focus away from the real issue. The issue actually is who was the Sabbath given to, why was it given, and was it carried over into the New Covenant. To that end let’s recall that the Sabbath was only given to the Israelites as the sign of their covenant (the Old Covenant) with God.  

<<< “. . . The Sabbath was made for man . . .” (Mark 2:29 KJV). And the Sabbath commandment itself tells us when it was made. “For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.” (Exodus 20:11 KJV) The Sabbath, along with everything else that God created, was created for the benefit and enjoyment of the new race. The question we must answer is, would God bless and sanctify a day and then allow his new creation to profane it by not telling them about it? There is absolutely no reason to believe He would do that. He undoubtedly spent the day telling Adam and Eve about their new home and what they were to do there. >>>

“The Israelites are to observe the Sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant. It will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he rested and was refreshed” (Exodus 31:16-17 NIV).

<<< Exodus 31:13 tells us why the Sabbath was given to the children of Israel (God’s covenant keeping people in the Old Testament).  “Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you.” The 4th commandment is the seal of God and gives the document its authority. The creator God is the one who rested on the 7th day and blessed and sanctified it and those who keep it are acknowledging His authority as the only creator God and lawgiver. The children of Israel are God’s covenant keeping people in the Old Testament. The covenant was taken from them and given to a nation bringing forth its fruit because they did not keep it. Jesus warned the Pharisees and chief priests, “Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.” (Matthew 21:43 KJV) And who is this nation? Paul tells us that it is the Christian Church, “But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:” (1 Peter 2:9 KJV) The law of the covenant did not change. Instead of being written in stone and a ceremonial remedy imposed, it is written on tables of human hearts and kept through faith in the Redeemer for forgiveness of sins and the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit. “Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.” (2 Corinthians 3:3 KJV) Even the children of Israel under the Mosaic Covenant were not saved by keeping the Law of Moses but through faith in the redeemer, shadowed forth in their ceremonial law, for forgiveness of sins. >>>

The Sabbath was never given to us as the sign of our covenant (the New Covenant) with God.

<<< According to James, the Decalogue written in the heart and mind is the “Law of Liberty”. “For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law. So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty. (James 2:10-12 KJV) If Adam and Eve had not transgressed this law of liberty, the new race would have been assured of holiness and happiness in communion with the Creator for eternity. >>>

Therefore, your request is irrelevant. The Sabbath has no place in the New Covenant. It is never called “a sign” of the New Covenant. The Sabbath went the way of the rest of the Old Covenant into obsolescence. “In that He says, ‘A new covenant’” He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away” (Hebrews 8:13 NKJV). So the Sabbath has not been changed.

<<< The “First” Covenant is the Mosaic Covenant and is called the First or Old Covenant because it was ratified with the blood of an ox before Christ ratified the New (Abrahamic) Covenant with His own blood on Calvary even though the Abrahamic Covenant promise was made before the Mosaic Covenant. The New Covenant promise made with Abraham was in the context of Hebrews chapter 13. The author is quoting an Old Testament prophecy concerning the New Covenant. “But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.” (Jeremiah 31:33 KJV) The law does not change. It cannot change. It reflects the character of our creator and He wrote it in stone with His own finger at Sinai. Under the New Covenant (the ratified Abrahamic Covenant - animal sacrifices no longer required) He puts His laws in our minds and writes them in our hearts. “For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:” (Hebrews 8:10 KJV) There are no “New Covenant” commandments apart from the law given at Sinai. The Covenant that is ready to “vanish away” is the one that required a ceremonial remedy for sin. >>>

The Sabbath is still the 7th day and is still only for Israelites, those under their authority (cf. Deuteronomy 5:13-14), and converts (cf. Isaiah 56: 3, 6). Paul very clearly taught that the Jewish holy days, including the 7th day Sabbath, were not to be required of Gentile Christians.

<<< Paul never taught that observance of the 4th commandment was no longer a righteous requirement of the law. Paul never told any of the churches that the Sabbath need not be observed. Paul does teach that Christians are children of Abraham (Jews in Spirit) “And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.” (Galatians 3:29 KJV) Christians are God’s Covenant keeping people in the New Testament. The ceremonial ordinances (works of the law) are no longer a requirement as their performance would be a denial of the efficacy of Christ’s once for all sacrifice on Calvary. >>>

“So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ” (Colossians 2:16-17 NKJV).

<<< The Mosaic Covenant required sacrificial offerings and the observance of yearly feast days that revealed the plan of salvation and told of Christ’s promised atoning sacrifice and ministry as High Priest in the heavenly sanctuary. This “law of sacrifices” was instituted after Adam and Eve sinned. When the children of Israel were given the law, whose principles had been lost to them after hundreds of years in Egypt, it included the (Jewish) system of worship that centered on the earthly tabernacle which was patterned after the heavenly one. The yearly round of services represented the entire plan of salvation in shadowy symbols and services. This law ended at the cross when Jesus accomplished His atoning sacrifice on Calvary and began His ministry in the Holy Place of the heavenly sanctuary as our High Priest (see Hebrews 2:17, 4:14). It was signified by the Vail in the Temple being torn in two when He died on the cross (see Mark 15:38). >>>

I don’t consider myself anti-sabbatarian because I’m not against Christians observing the Sabbath. The New Testament witness allows Christians to observe the Sabbath if they wish to do so. It’s a personal decision not a moral command. “One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind” (Romans 14:5 NIV).

<<< Romans 14:5 concerns man’s estimation of days, according to the original Greek manuscript. It cannot be a reference to the Sabbath of the 4th commandment. That day was blessed and sanctified by God when the seventh day ended. “And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.” (Genesis 2:3 KJV) Man’s estimation of a day cannot alter that which has been blessed and sanctified by God. The Catholic Church claims to have changed the Sabbath day to Sunday but that also is only man’s estimation of a day. The expert and those who believe what he is promoting are fulfilling prophecy. They are erecting an “image to the beast” by promoting or allowing a Sabbath apart from the 7th day (see Revelation 13:14) just as the Papacy has done. >>>

As an aside there is some debate over exactly what “day” Paul is referring to. If Paul is only referring to days to fast on based on the principle of if it’s not a salvation issue give liberty and don’t judge this would still apply to the day of worship. The majority of SDAs that I have had contact with say that Christians don’t have to observe the Sabbath in order to be saved, therefore, Paul’s principle of give liberty and don’t judge in non-salvation issues would apply to the Sabbath even by SDA standards. Again, remember that the New Testament doesn’t make the day of worship a salvation issue either.

<<< Salvation is by grace through faith, not in keeping the law. SDA’s who say they don’t have to keep the Sabbath to be saved are being quoted out of context. SDA’s believe the principles of the Decalogue are the standard of righteousness in the judgment and therefore keep the commandments because they love Jesus and want to please Him. In other words they keep the Commandments because they “are saved” (by Christ), not “to be saved” (by works). No one living in willful rebellion to any of the commandments can be saved unless they repent and reform. Believers in times past who sincerely believed that Sunday was the day to be reverenced are not necessarily lost. Only Jesus can determine who is in willful violation of any of the principles of His law. >>>

What I am against is some Christians attempting to bind Sabbath observance on the consciences of other Christians. Please note that not even one New Testament author ever wrote that Christians were obligated to observe the sign of the Old Covenant, the 7th day Sabbath.

<<< The “New Testament authors” gave no new commandments. The burden of proof rests upon those who say the Sabbath is no longer to be observed. >>>

In the New Covenant we have a better rest available to us than the Israelites had under the inferior Old Covenant (cf. Hebrews 8:6). They had a physical rest from their labor. A rest that lasted for only 24 hours. We have a spiritual rest that lasts forever. Our rest is not found in the observance of a day. Our rest is found in putting complete faith in the Savior.

<<< Those who have availed themselves of the rest from the bondage of sin through faith in Christ want to keep all the commandments. The controversy is over the 4th commandment as Satan is the power behind the transference of the observance of the Sabbath to the first day of the week by the majority of the Protestant world. >>>

“Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light” (Matthew 11:28-30 NRSV).

<<< “If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words: Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.” (Isaiah 58:13-14 KJV) Jesus offers rest to repentant sinners from the burden of sin with its guilt and condemnation and fearful expectation of a coming judgment. >>>

I suppose if I wanted to I could issue you a similar challenge: supply just one Bible verse that shows that Adam & Eve kept the 7th day Sabbath.

<<< They must have kept it as it was eating from the forbidden tree that was man’s first sin. Not Sabbath breaking. >>>

Have a Happy & Healthy New Year.

Brother Sal  

<<< In Christ’s love,

Frank >>>

Seventh-Day Adventists

I am privileged to be able to offer an alternative insight into the complicated world of Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) theology. I will rely heavily on the Bible, but will also consider history and use logic in exposing deficiencies in SDA teachings. I would ask anyone who is considering becoming a SDA or if you are already in the SDA church, but are searching for the truth, to please allow me to offer a different explanation for the claims of the SDA. Remember : "The truth will set you free" (John 8:32). I can answer your questions pertaining to the beliefs and history of the SDA. I am not able to answer questions concerning spirituality or church discipline.

I have extensively studied the theology of the Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) for a number of years. I have many books and tape sets produced by experts in this field of study. I have debated current members of the SDA church. I have a great desire to help these people see the truth.

M.S. degree in Food, Nutrition, and Dietetics