Seventh-Day Adventists/Jesus and Michael are One

Question
Sal-
Don't you realize that Jesus had many names and titles by which he was known? Michael the archangel is one of these names. The name Michael means "One who is like God". This name obviously points to this being Jesus and no other.
Tina

Answer
Dear Sister Tina:

You are correct that Jesus does have other names and titles that identify him; however, Michael the archangel isn’t one of them. Here are a few of them:

Lord.
“One day Jesus was praying in a certain place. When he finished, one of his disciples said to him, ‘Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples’” (Luke 11:1 NIV).

“You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am” (John 13:13 NIV).

The Son of God.  
“The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God” (Mark 1:1 NASB).

“And they all said, ‘Are You the Son of God, then?’ And He said to them, ‘Yes, I am’” (Luke 22:70 NASB).

The Son of Man.
“Which is easier: to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up and walk’? But I want you to know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins.’ So he said to the paralyzed man, ‘Get up, take your mat and go home’” (Matthew 9:5-6 NIV).

“For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, ‘He has a demon.’ The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.’ But wisdom is proved right by her deeds” (Matthew 11:18-19 NIV).

The Son of David.
“And a Canaanite woman from that region came out and began to cry out, saying, ‘Have mercy on me, Lord, Son of David; my daughter is cruelly demon-possessed’” (Matthew 15:22 NASB).

“I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things in the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, the Bright and Morning Star” (Revelation 22:16 NKJV).

The Messiah/Christ.
“Jacob was the father of Joseph the husband of Mary, by whom Jesus was born, who is called the Messiah” (Matthew 1:16 NASB).

“Simon Peter answered, ‘You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.’ And Jesus said to him, ‘Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven’…Then He warned the disciples that they should tell no one that He was the Christ” (Matthew 16:16, 17, 20 NASB).

The Alpha & the Omega.
“And He said to me, ‘It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End…’” (Revelation 21:6 NKJV).

“I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last” (Revelation 22:13 NKJV).

Please note that Jesus is clearly identified with each name. He even refers to himself by these names. Unfortunately for your theory Jesus is never clearly identified nor does he clearly refer to himself as Michael the archangel. Also Paul who wrote much of the New Testament referred to Jesus by many names and titles. Again, unfortunately for your theory Paul never referred to Jesus as Michael the archangel. Peter who was intimately associated with Jesus during his earthly ministry never referred to Jesus as Michael the archangel. Since Jesus never identified himself as Michael the archangel and no one in the New Testament clearly referred to Jesus as Michael the archangel I believe your theory to be false.  

The name Michael could mean, as you said, "One who is like God" or it could mean "Who is like God?" Two very different meanings. The first means the being named Michael is like God and the second means no one is like God.

Thank you for your comments.

Brother Sal

Seventh-Day Adventists

Sal