Seventh-Day Adventists/Origin of the elements (seeds) that lead to sin

Could you be able to explain the origin of sin, since I cant fully comprehend that Satan is the author of sin.
My reason being that, in order for Satan to have made the decision to sin, he had to have had the choice of sinning meaning sin was in theory a possibility so it means the potential to sin was always there even before Satan sinned which brings me to the question what is the origin of  sin .A similar example is well played in the scene where Cain wants to kill  the brother and God tells him to overcome the thought .In order for any one to make any decision one must have a choice between 2 or more things so if I was God, in order to give my creatures freedom of choice would need to also create the choices, so I would create evil and good (thoughts) which would mature to some action which is good or evil so meaning I would be the author or the creature of the seeds of evil and good.
I would be happy if you would share your thoughts on this topic.

You have one of the common misconceptions that good and evil can be compared as equal entities at opposing positions.  Yes, in one sense they are.  But, in another sense, they are not.  The expression comes to mind, "You're comparing apples to oranges."  It is similar to saying that cold is the opposite of heat (which it's not) or that dry is the opposite of moist.  Rather, cold is the absence of heat and dry is the absence of moisture.  The former noun describes a condition while the latter noun describes something tangible.

To get a true opposite, in this case, you have to use nouns which both describe a condition or both describe something tangible.  Thus, cold is the opposite of hot and dry is the opposite of wet.  You can see, then, that hot is the presence of heat and wet is the presence of moisture.  The tangible entities of heat and moisture have no opposite -- only conditions which describe their absence or their presence.  (An example of tangible opposites are a wall with a door vs. a wall without a door.)

Thus, the misconception many people arrive at (that evil is the opposite of good) is actually a problem of language.  But, Jesus Christ was very, very clear on this subject:

And, behold, one came and said unto him, "Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?"  And he said unto him, "Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God..." (Matthew 19:16,17)

What Jesus is saying, here, is that God is (or the Godhead are) the tangible entity of all that can be called "good."  Everything They created They then pronounced as having the condition of being "good" (Genesis 1:4,10,12,18,21,25,31).  But, Jesus is quite clear that that does not make them "good" in the same sense that God is good.  The former is the condition while the latter is the tangible entity.

Hence, to start wrapping up...  God also gave His intelligent creatures the power of choice.  They could choose to retain the condition of "good," with respect to how they were initially created, or they could choose to give up that condition -- the opposite of which is the condition of being evil.  Thus, with every choice, we have the God-given right to chose the presence of God (which is the condition of being "good") or we can chose the absence of God (which is the condition of being "evil").

Likewise, we have the subject of the origin of sin.  Yes, Lucifer is the author of sin because Lucifer was the first one to choose the absence of God.  Again, sin isn't a tangible entity -- i.e., not something that had to be created.  Sin is a condition (first found in Lucifer; Ezekiel 28:15) which results from choosing to let go of the condition of being "good."  Meaning: God's Law is also good (Romans 7:12; 1Timothy 1:8) in the same sense that God is good because God's Law is also the tangible entity by which God operates -- i.e., a transcript of His Character.

So, the two choices created by God are not the choice to do good versus the choice to do evil.  Rather, the two choices created by God are the choice to obey God (choosing the presence of the tangible entity) or the choice not to obey God (choosing the absence of the tangible entity).  These two choices were represented in the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil -- to eat (disobey) or not to eat (obey), that was the choice.  Everything after that is a condition resulting from that choice.

May God richly bless you in direct proportion to your desire to know, and to do, the full truth even as it is in Yehsh' haMshyach, Jesus Christ, The Messiah, our Lord, and our Saviour.  Awmane!

Seventh-Day Adventists

Dave L Clark

I can answer most any question which is truly Bible-centric. I make this distinction because there is much which is considered biblical; but, which, is actually based only upon the traditions of men. However, I will also state this caveat: not all traditions are necessarily "bad" by definition. Otherwise, the subject about which I am passionate is The Law of God. There is much misconception in this area. In point of fact, I, myself, only woke up a bit over 10 years ago (2002) to what is truly meant by the Law of God and how that relates to Salvation. This, of course, is a touchy subject when you start mixing the Law of God with the subject of Salvation -- which, everyone should know, is a gift of God, by grace, through faith and not of works; lest any man should boast (Eph. 2:8,9). I am thankful that God the Holy Spirit has opened, and is opening, my eyes to these Truths.

I have taken Bible classes every year since the first grade through 4-year college level and study the Bible every week with others in Sabbath School. I have also continued studying the Bible, on my own, throughout my life -- particularly these last 10+ years. Therefore, I consider myself to have about 48+ years of both formal and informal Bible experience upon which to draw.

I am a current member in good and full standing with the Seventh-Day Adventist Church. I am also a level-7 member of Yahoo!Answers in the Religion & Spirituality group. Lastly, though not a related discipline, I am also a member at because of my professional standing as a computer programmer of more than 35 years.

"The Truth About the Law of God" by Dave L Clark I is a 298-page book available at Some of my writings may also be found on the following websites: << >>; << >>; and, << >>.

I have 3 years of formal college and a 4-year college equivalence degree in Information Technology. Otherwise, I am not formally credentialed in Bible doctrine or theology. However, when did God ever say that He only speaks to or through theologian-type or highly-placed sources?