Seventh-Day Adventists/A Suggestion

Dear Brother Sal:

I read your post on whose voice raised the dead in 1 Thes. 4:16. You did a very good job of defending against the SDA heresy that Jesus is an archangel. I will make one suggestion for you to add to your answer next time. Why would Paul refer to Jesus as having the voice of an archangel? An archangel is an exalted angel of higher rank. An archangel is over armies of other lesser angels. Even so an archangel is still an angel, a lower being than Jesus Christ. Paul would not lower Jesus’ status by comparing his voice with that of an angel. Paul spent time and effort proving Jesus is greater than angels. For example, Hebrews 1:5-8,

5 For to which of the angels did God ever say,
“You are my Son;
   today I have become your Father”?
Or again,
“I will be his Father,
   and he will be my Son”?
6 And again, when God brings his firstborn into the world, he says,
“Let all God’s angels worship him.”
7 In speaking of the angels he says,
“He makes his angels spirits,
   and his servants flames of fire.”
8 But about the Son he says,
“Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever;
   a scepter of justice will be the scepter of your kingdom.

According to SDAs we are to believe Paul now says Jesus speaks with an archangel’s voice. How ridiculous! If SDAs wouldn’t try to defend Ellen White and Church dogma they wouldn’t look like a silly cult to other Christians.

Thanks, Todd

Dear Brother Todd:

Thank you for your feedback on my answer to Sister Tina. I hadn’t thought of the valid points that you made. Thank you for bringing them to my attention.  

Let me point out that while we debate with SDAs the exact meaning of each word in the verse let’s not forget what a wonderful, comforting verse this is for all Christians regardless of one’s denominational affiliation. I will close by asking all Christians to mediate upon the following passage. May you find comfort and hope in these words.

“But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope. For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep. For this we declare to you by a word from the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord. Therefore encourage one another with these words” (1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 ESV).

A Merry Christmas to all!

Brother Sal  

Seventh-Day Adventists

I am privileged to be able to offer an alternative insight into the complicated world of Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) theology. I will rely heavily on the Bible, but will also consider history and use logic in exposing deficiencies in SDA teachings. I would ask anyone who is considering becoming a SDA or if you are already in the SDA church, but are searching for the truth, to please allow me to offer a different explanation for the claims of the SDA. Remember : "The truth will set you free" (John 8:32). I can answer your questions pertaining to the beliefs and history of the SDA. I am not able to answer questions concerning spirituality or church discipline.

I have extensively studied the theology of the Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) for a number of years. I have many books and tape sets produced by experts in this field of study. I have debated current members of the SDA church. I have a great desire to help these people see the truth.

M.S. degree in Food, Nutrition, and Dietetics