Seventh-Day Adventists/MATTHEW 12: 32

Question
Dear Mr Thurber,

Be blessed in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. I would like to get some clarifications about what sin against the HOLY SPIRIT is? What kind of sins is the Bible referring to? Thank you very much. May God continue to use you Sir.

Answer
Here is the Message version of the text.

31-32"There's nothing done or said that can't be forgiven. But if you deliberately persist in your slanders against God's Spirit, you are repudiating the very One who forgives. If you reject the Son of Man out of some misunderstanding, the Holy Spirit can forgive you, but when you reject the Holy Spirit, you're sawing off the branch on which you're sitting, severing by your own perversity all connection with the One who forgives.

The sin against the Holy Spirit that you asked about is like the Final Divorce from God, where a person says that's it, I never want to talk with you or see you again. That would put us in a position where we no longer want to be blessed by God or forgiven by God or any kind of friendship with God.

That indeed is a terrible and lonely place to be, cut off from the very God who pursues us so vigorously and loves us so completely. It would be the last sin we could commit that we would never be forgiven for since we would not seek forgiveness from a God we did not want to talk to.

The one who keeps talking to God and trusting in Him has not committed this sin, they may sin in many other ways but 1 John 1:9 says that we still have an advocate with the Father, a righteous One who Forgives us our sins. Amen I say. I hope you do too.

Seventh-Day Adventists

Marty Thurber