Seventh-Day Adventists/Abraham keeping commandments statutes & commandments

Hi Sal,

Thank you for your response to my last question.I hope you will be able to clarify this question for me.

The Ten Commandments were not given until Sinai and then, only to the Israelites. There appears to be no record of the Ten Commandments having been given before this. However, I read in Genesis 26:5, "Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws."(KJV) I looked in my Hebrew-Greek-English Interlinear Bible and the Hebrew word for "laws" is "torah" and it is No.8451 in Strongs Exhaustive Concordance.
It has this to say about "torah"..."a precept or statute, espec. the Decalogue or Pentateuch - law."

Would not this indicate that Moses had the Ten Commandments? (Decalogue)

Dear Brother Ron:

No, the law in Genesis 26:5 was not the Ten Commandments. The word "law" does not always and only refer to the Decalogue. As the definition you suppled proves it also refers to precepts, statutes, and law. It also can refer to the Decalogue or to the first 5 books of the Bible (the Pentateuch). So I don't see your problem based on the word's definition from Strongs.

So then what "law" did Abraham obey? Abraham obeyed the commandments, statutes, and laws that God gave to him not those God gave to Israel. Abraham obeyed God’s command to leave his homeland (Genesis 12:1, 4), to change his name (Genesis 17:5), to accept circumcision (Genesis 17:10, 23-24), to change his wife’s name (Genesis 17:15), to offer up his son as a sacrifice to God (Genesis 22:1-2, 10), etc. Abraham also kept, or at least knew of, the moral laws that all men have written on their hearts. Moses himself told the Israelites that no one had ever been given the law that they were given by God. “The Lord, our God, made a covenant with us at Horeb, not with our fathers did he make this covenant, but with us, all of us who are alive here this day” (Deuteronomy 5:2-3). What law was at the very heart of this covenant made at Sinai? "Then the Lord spoke to you from the midst of the fire; you heard the sound of words, but you saw no form—only a voice. So He declared to you His covenant which He commanded you to perform, that is, the Ten Commandments; and He wrote them on two tablets of stone" (Deuteronomy 4:12-13). So the law Abraham did not have was the Ten Commandment law of Sinai.

Thanks for the question. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Brother Sal  

Seventh-Day Adventists

I am privileged to be able to offer an alternative insight into the complicated world of Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) theology. I will rely heavily on the Bible, but will also consider history and use logic in exposing deficiencies in SDA teachings. I would ask anyone who is considering becoming a SDA or if you are already in the SDA church, but are searching for the truth, to please allow me to offer a different explanation for the claims of the SDA. Remember : "The truth will set you free" (John 8:32). I can answer your questions pertaining to the beliefs and history of the SDA. I am not able to answer questions concerning spirituality or church discipline.

I have extensively studied the theology of the Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) for a number of years. I have many books and tape sets produced by experts in this field of study. I have debated current members of the SDA church. I have a great desire to help these people see the truth.

M.S. degree in Food, Nutrition, and Dietetics