Seventh-Day Adventists/How do I deal with family who is SDA?

Question
Hi Patricia!

About a year 1/2 ago, my brother and sis-in-law moved in with me. They are so wonderful and a tremendous blessing in my life and I love them very much. My sis-in-law was raised strict SDA and is very conservative. My brother converted prior to marriage.

After moving in, my sister gave me one of SGW's books, saying they believed her to be a true profit of God. I didn't even open it, knowing that something was very, very wrong (I have been a Christian for 25 years). As time has gone on, the more I learn about SDA, and I have been doing my homework, has lead me to conclude that SDAism is a cult. My question is how to best deal with my family. Do I just tell them what I have learned, do I just pray for them and let the Holy Spirit do His work...

Not sure what to do. They are very well "Bible-versed" via their SDA filter and I don't want to get into a battle of words. My sis-in-law's family is staunchly SDA and it would be monumental for them to question their beliefs.  Do I confront them with what I have learned or just pray and let the Holy Spirit do His work in them? Not sure how to proceed/not proceed, so any guidance would be most appreciated!

God bless you and your willingness to speak out!

Eileen

Answer
Hello Eileen,

Thank you for your questions.

My best advice from experience is to leave the situation to the work of the Holy Spirit. If your relatives bring up beliefs, just discuss and not try to convince them. If statements are made that you know to be untrue just ask them to prove them from the Bible and the Bible only and leave it at that. Sometimes trying to prove a point have led many into truth.

Yes, SDAs are known for how well they know their Bible but reciting Scripture is not knowing the Bible. When I was an SDA, I prided myself in knowing a great many Bible verses from memory, but I had no idea that Scripture was being interpreted through Ellen White's filters and I sincerely thought I knew the truth. It was only God's mercy and grace that lifted the veil that I wasn't even aware I was wearing. I'm sure this is the case for many SDAs - they don't even know that they are being deliberately deceived by the leaders of their church and they take what the church says as the truth and nothing but the truth.

And yes, quoting Scripture will end up being a battle of words along with Ellen White's misguided interpretations because they sincerely believe that she was a prophet and even more than a prophet from God.

Of course, you will need to pray and let the Holy Spirit tell you what or what not to do but I would not 'confront' them unless they initiate the discussion. Even then, don't try to prove anything to them. Let them prove to you their point and you can then take it from there in a non-confrontational way. As a general rule, most SDAs take opposing views as attacks and they can become very defensive and unChristlike.

Since leaving I have discovered that they do not give the Holy Spirit a lot of credit. Some believe that depending on the Holy Spirit for direction when studying is dangerous because they believe that the Spirit can lead them into error but Ellen White's writings won't. It's a situation that causes for much prayer BUT God knows whose are His and only He has the power to lift the veil and allow people to see the beauty of the Son and the Gospel.

My prayers go with you and your family. I hope this has been somewhat helpful. God is truly able!

Seventh-Day Adventists

Patricia Allen