Seventh-Day Adventists/Ten Commandment

Question
Hello again, God Bless

There is a person who use to be an adventist who tells people that the Commandments that Jesus kept and said was not the Ten Commanments , this is what he said i will paste his attack on YAHweh Holy Law.  How do we know for sure Jesus is saying keep My Commandments ? Meaning the Ten or is this the two new ones that all we must do is love?

Jesus said, "keep My commandments" NOT the Ten commandments!

Seventh-day Adventists deceive themselves when they misquote these passages in a vain effort to prove Jesus and the apostles told us to keep the 10 commandments!

Here are the most commonly used Sabbatarian proof texts that they misquote in order to falsely prove we must keep the 10 commandments as Christians:

Jn 14:15 If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.
Jn 14:21 He who has My commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves Me
1 Jn 2:3 And by this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments
1 Jn 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and observe His commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome.
2 Jn 6 And this is love, that we walk according to His commandments. This is the commandment, just as you have heard from the beginning, that you should walk in it.
Rev 12:17 who keep the commandments of God and hold to the testimony of Jesus.
Rev 14:12 Here is the perseverance of the saints who keep the commandments of God and their faith in Jesus.
Mt 19:16-19 "And behold, one came to Him and said, "Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may obtain eternal life?" And He said to him, "Why are you asking Me about what is good? There is only One who is good; but if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments." He *said to Him, "Which ones?" And Jesus said, "You shall not commit murder; You shall not commit adultery; You shall not steal; You shall not bear false witness; Honor your father and mother; and You shall love your neighbor as yourself."
B. Now we must say up front that there are times when Jesus did command men to keep the 10 commandments. But notice the following about Mt 19:16-19:

The rich man did not immediately think of the ten commandments. Surely no one would think the rich man was actually thinking Jesus was giving him a option in keeping only 5 of the ten commandments! If the young man had the 10 commandments in mind that means what he really asked was: "which of the ten commandments" must I keep? Such a question is simply preposterous and proves the rich young ruler COULD not have had the 10 commandments in mind when Jesus told him, "Keep the commandments".
When Jesus did quote several of the 10 commandments, HE ALSO quoted the greatest commandment of all, that was not even in the 10 commandments. This proves that "keep the commandments" includes MORE than just the 10 commandments. This is precisely the truth and refutes all Sabbath keepers!
C. The commandments of Jesus are often DISTINCT from the ten commandments!

Jn 15:10-12 "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father's commandments, and abide in His love. "These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full. "This is My commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you.
1 Cor 14:37 "If anyone thinks he is a prophet or spiritual, let him recognize that the things which I write to you are the Lord's commandment." Specifically in the context, the prophet's wives were forbidden to ask questions in the assembly. This was called the Lord's commandment, clearly not one of the 10 commandments!
Mt 28:20 "teaching them to observe all that I commanded you". This certainly would include baptism and the Lord's supper!
John 13:34 "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. This commandment was not part of the 10 commandments! 2 John 5 says, "And now I ask you, lady, not as writing to you a new commandment, but the one which we have had from the beginning, that we love one another." 1 John 1:1 proves that the beginning was not the garden of Eden, but the words of Jesus in 30AD. Notice that when Jesus introduced this commandment in 30 AD it was new. But John in about 95 AD said it was not new, since Jesus was the originator. When Adventists try to say "love one another" was a summary of part of the ten commandments, the contradict Jesus who said it was NEW!
2 Pet 3:2 "that you should remember the words spoken beforehand by the holy prophets and the commandment of the Lord and Savior spoken by your apostles"
Jesus said the greatest commandment was not part of the 10! Mt 22:36-40 (Too bad for Sabbatarians: Great place for Jesus to quote the Sabbath law!)
Matthew 22:36-40 "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?" And He said to him, "'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.' "This is the great and foremost commandment. "The second is like it, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' "On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets."
D. Jesus did not say, "keep the 10 commandments"

He said but "keep my commandments" which far exceeds the 10 commandments
He said "keep the commandments" which included more then the 10 commandments. (see above discussion of Mt 19:16)
Therefore Sabbath keepers are refuted

Answer
Carolem,

The truth is there in God's Word for those that are sincerely seeking God' Truth -- rather than Man's sophistry.  Those who are actually in rebellion against God will always be able to find an argument against God's Truth for He gives them the exact delusion they seek.

2Thes. 2:10-12  "And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.  And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: that they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness."

Those who know The Godhead, at all, know that Jesus is not going to come and give a different set of rules for Man to abide by than the rules He, Himself, abides by.

John 15:10  "If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love."

Those who know The Godhead, at all, know that once God has spoken that He will not take it back and speak something different.

Psalm 89:34  "My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips."

Those who know The Godhead, at all, know that God is not capricious -- meaning: He is not somehow different between the Old Testament and the New Testament.

Malachi 3:6  "For I am the LORD, I change not..."

Jesus, Himself, said that no part of God's Full Law can pass away unless all of heaven and earth pass away in the process.

Matthew 5:17,18  "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.  For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled."

So, when Jesus said "keep my commandments," was He talking about *only* the Ten Commandments?  Absolutely not!  I agree that He was talking about much more; but, He was also not talking about anything *less*, either.  Because of the above verse, you cannot take one of the Ten Commandments away from the others and you cannot take the Ten Commandments away from the rest of God's Full Law.  Jesus said that the *entire* law was dependent upon the two great commandments which He quoted from the Old Testament (Deut. 6:5; Lev. 19:18).

Matthew 22:37-40  Jesus said unto him, "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.  This is the first and great commandment.  And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.  On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

So, you see, those who claim that Jesus gave a new commandment which replaces God's Law are deluded and believing a lie.  It wasn't a new commandment.  The Jews had simply forgotten that it had already been stated in the Torah, The Book of the Law.  Jesus was simply restating something which seemed new to them but was actually something old -- which had been a given from the very beginning, yes, even from the Garden of Eden.

God's entire Law is about Love -- including the Commandment regarding the Seventh-day Sabbath.  Those who want to throw out the Commandment regarding the Seventh-day Sabbath don't actually love God enough to want to spend the actual time with Him which God requested of them.  As part of replacement theology, they rebelliously demand that God accept Man's idea of worship as sufficient.  How blasphemous of them.

Those who actually love God neither see nor feel any burden in doing anything and everything which God has asked of them.  It is a matter of love.

John 14:15,21,23,24  "If ye love me, keep my commandments... words: and... sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me."

May God richly bless you in direct proportion to your desire to know, and to do, the full truth even as it is in Yehsh' haMshyach, Jesus Christ, The Messiah, our Lord, and our Saviour.  Awmane!

Sincerely,
Dave

Seventh-Day Adventists

Dave L Clark