Seventh-Day Adventists/Tithing Is For Today!

Dear Sal:

You make a big deal out of the tithe in the Old Covenant being food and not money. the answer to that is simple you see money wasn't used much by Jews so they tithed what they had grain, fruits, animals, etc. Today we tithe money because that is what we use. In the ancient world money wasn't used much if at all. So you are wrong about tithing not being for today.

Dear Brother Anthony:

I make a "big deal" out of tithes being food and not money because that is what the Bible
teaches. I'm simply reporting what a biblical tithe consists of. I'm exposing the false teachings of the tithe teachers. They don't want their people learning the truth about their "tithe lie" because of the great sums of money that deceived tithers put into their churches. I'm afraid many of these pastors line their pockets with tithe money and become burdens to their congregations. Paul clearly taught that the Christian clergy should not be a burden to the people.

"For you remember, brothers, our labor and toil: we worked night and day, that we might not be a burden to any of you, while we proclaimed to you the gospel of God" (1 Thessalonians 2:9 ESV; cf. 3:7-9; Acts 20:33-34; 2 Corinthians 11:7-9; 12:14).

The belief that some form of money wasn't used much, if at all, in Old Testament times is unbiblical. Some examples of money in the form of silver pieces being used in the Old Testament are as follows. Slaves purchased with money (Genesis 17:12-13), Abraham received money from Abimalech (Genesis 20:16), Abraham paid money for land to bury his wife (Genesis 23:16), Joseph was sold by his brothers for money (Genesis 37:28), Joseph gave his brother Benjamin money (Genesis 45:22), Joseph allowed the Egyptians to use food as barter only after their money was spent (Genesis 47:14-17), the Census Tax was paid with money (Exodus 30:12-16), vows were paid with money (Leviticus 27:1-8), first borns were ransomed with money (Numbers 3:46-50), marriage dowries included money (Deuteronomy 22:28-29), Chariots and horses were purchased with money (1 Kings 10:29). Of course, we are all aware of the use of money in the New Testament since our Lord was betrayed by Judas for silver money (Matthew 26:14-16).

The evidence is rather clear that money in the form of silver pieces was well-known in the ancient world before and after tithing began yet money was never tithed. So you see money was not a proper vehicle for tithing (Leviticus 27:30-33; Deuteronomy 12:17-18; 14:22-23). Money is only mentioned once in connection with tithing. If one lived very far from Jerusalem he could exchange his tithe for money before traveling to Jerusalem. Then upon arriving in Jerusalem he would exchange his money for tithes to offer.

"You shall eat in the presence of the Lord your God, at the place where He chooses to establish His name, the tithe of your grain, your new wine, your oil, and the firstborn of your herd and your flock, so that you may learn to fear the Lord your God always. 24 If the distance is so great for you that you are not able to bring the tithe, since the place where the Lord your God chooses to set His name is too far away from you when the Lord your God blesses you, 25 then you shall exchange it for money, and bind the money in your hand and go to the place which the Lord your God chooses. 26 You may spend the money for whatever your heart desires: for oxen, or sheep, or wine, or strong drink, or whatever your heart desires; and there you shall eat in the presence of the Lord your God and rejoice, you and your household" (Deuteronomy 14:23-26 NASB).

So the money was never offered as a tithe. Please note in vs. 23 & 26 that this tithe was to be consumed by the tithers! Does your pastor occasionally tell the congregation to keep the tithe for themselves?

Have a Blessed Day,
Brother Sal  

Seventh-Day Adventists

I am privileged to be able to offer an alternative insight into the complicated world of Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) theology. I will rely heavily on the Bible, but will also consider history and use logic in exposing deficiencies in SDA teachings. I would ask anyone who is considering becoming a SDA or if you are already in the SDA church, but are searching for the truth, to please allow me to offer a different explanation for the claims of the SDA. Remember : "The truth will set you free" (John 8:32). I can answer your questions pertaining to the beliefs and history of the SDA. I am not able to answer questions concerning spirituality or church discipline.

I have extensively studied the theology of the Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) for a number of years. I have many books and tape sets produced by experts in this field of study. I have debated current members of the SDA church. I have a great desire to help these people see the truth.

M.S. degree in Food, Nutrition, and Dietetics