Seventh-Day Adventists/clean unclean meats

Question
hamburger, beef/turkey bacon, these meats especially store bought are laden with blood and fat. is it wrong for me to eat it?

Answer
Mike,

I would never tell someone else what is right or wrong for them.  I would also point out that not only are such matters between the individual and God; but, are also not matters of salvation or righteousness.  No one can be saved by obeying God's Law.  Obedience to God must be a matter of love and for no other reason.

What I can do, though, is to testify of my own experience and understanding.  Up until 2002 I never asked myself the question you are asking now.  Since that time I started questioning everything I had been taught regarding God's Word for our time.  So, I went back to the Bible and studied it very thoroughly for myself.  I will even have a book coming out this year on this subject.

The conclusion I came to is based on a very considered understanding of just what Jesus was saying in Matthew 5:17,18.  People use the first verse of that passage to justify the very opposite thing Jesus was actually saying.  Jesus explained that first verse by continuing with the second verse I cited.  He said that not even the least part of God's Law can end unless all of heaven and earth pass away first.  Did that happen?  No.

My conclusion, then, is that the spirit of every commandment, statute, and judgment God gave to Man still applies to me, today, and was not just for the Jews but for all Mankind and for all time.  Now, does that mean, for example, that I think we should still be sacrificing clean animals on altars?  No, because God specifically gave us the prophecy that these things would end with the Sacrifice of His Son (Daniel 9:27).  That also means that such animal sacrifices were not actually part of God's Law or they could not have come to an end.  Instead, they were simply the temporary means regarding how Man could fulfill the requirements of one of God's Laws.

Leviticus 17:11  "For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul."

So, what did Christ fulfill in Matthew 5:17?  He became the permanent atonement for all those who will truly accept His Sacrifice in place of their own.  Once we have done that then we begin to truly love Him because of what He has done for us.  The result of that love relationship is that we also begin to desire to be completely obedient to Him and everything He stands for.  So, what did He uphold?  He upheld His Father's Law.

John 15:10  "If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love."

Notice that Jesus didn't say "Ten Commandments."  If you read Leviticus 27:34 you should also begin to understand that all of God's Statutes are also His commandments.  You don't even have to take my word for that.  Jesus, Himself, cited just two of God's Statutes and called them commandments.  In fact, He called them the two great commandments upon which all of God's Law is based.  You can read that in Matthew 22:36-40 and then compare Deuteronomy 6:5 and Leviticus 19:18.

Do you think Jesus has a different set of rules for us than the ones He, Himself, lived by?  I don't think so.  Thus, for me, the following statutes are also just as applicable for me, today, as they were for Man back in those times.

Leviticus 7:22-27  And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, "Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, Ye shall eat no manner of fat, of ox, or of sheep, or of goat.  And the fat of the beast that dieth of itself, and the fat of that which is torn with beasts, may be used in any other use: but ye shall in no wise eat of it.  For whosoever eateth the fat of the beast, of which men offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD, even the soul that eateth it shall be cut off from his people.  Moreover ye shall eat no manner of blood, whether it be of fowl or of beast, in any of your dwellings.  Whatsoever soul it be that eateth any manner of blood, even that soul shall be cut off from his people."

Leviticus 17:12  "Therefore I said unto the children of Israel, No soul of you shall eat blood, neither shall any stranger that sojourneth among you eat blood."

May God richly bless you in direct proportion to your desire to know, and to do, the full truth even as it is in Yehsh' haMshyach, Jesus Christ, The Messiah, our Lord, and our Saviour.  Awmane!

Sincerely,
Dave

Seventh-Day Adventists

Dave L Clark