Seventh-Day Adventists/Gospel Sabbath

Zacharia wrote at 2013-11-22 04:55:37
I'm sorry.  I really do not want to be rude or crude but I do not see how you are what you claim to be, an expert of Seventh Day Adventist theology."  Your argumentation would have much more credence if there were not so much wrong with your statements regarding Adventist beliefs.  What you call legalism, for instance, infers that there must be a legalistic following of the law in order to earn salvation.  This is not what Adventists believe.  Adventists believe that love for the Savior, the One who paid for my sin and that of the whole world, is the inspiration for obedience to the God that declared, "If you love me keep my commandments."  On second thought - if obedience to the will of God, out of love for Him is legalism - we are guilty as charged.

Secondly, you assert that SDA make the Sabbath a god.  What????  We simply believe that Jesus' paying of my penalty for past sin does not oblige me to go and openly sin. Sin is still the transgression of  the law, isn't it. In the Bible that I read, God's holy law is not the issue, man's disobedience is.  God's law, like a mirror, points out the sin in our life.  It cannot remove the sin and save anyone.  The blood of Jesus does that.  

To future readers, it is good to question.  God's truth will not come from flawed men but through His Holy word.  Seek your truth there, not here.  Remember, the Pharisees were also scholarly religious leaders who did not recognize God when He was before them, ultimately nailing Him to a tree.  Men cannot be trusted in such things.  Seek God in His word.  

Zacharia wrote at 2013-11-22 04:55:45

Frank wrote at 2013-11-25 02:33:40
11 19 2013 - Gospel Sabbath

The expert’s answer:

As I understand it the difference between the Gospel or Reformed Sabbath and the Old Covenant Sabbath promoted by SDAism is the difference between freedom and slavery. The SDA Church promotes the legalistic Sabbath of the Jews. The Gospel Sabbath is one of great joy free from legalism. The many Sabbath restrictions of the Pharisees of old and the SDAs of today were removed once and for all by Jesus.

<<< Here is the Lord’s prescription for keeping and promised blessing for keeping holy the Sabbath day.

“If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words: Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.” (Isaiah 58:13-14 KJV)

For the Christian, keeping the commandments isn’t legalism. It is the natural outworking of a saving relationship with the Lord Jesus. “For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:” (Hebrews 8:10 KJV) The written law becomes obsolete only when we walk according to its principles that have been written in the heart and mind through faith in Christ and out of love for God and man. “In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.” (Hebrews 8:13 KJV) The law doesn’t vanish away until its principles have been fully established in the heart and mind. “Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.” (Romans 3:31 KJV) >>>

The Old Covenant Sabbath keepers prohibit work on the Sabbath, but Jesus said that the Father and he work on the Sabbath thus work is allowed on the Gospel Sabbath. "For this reason the Jews were persecuting Jesus, because He was doing these things on the Sabbath. But He answered them, 'My Father is working until now, and I Myself am working'" (John 5:16-17 NASB).

<<< Just what things was Jesus doing? He taught and healed on the Sabbath. Activities that SDA’s perform on the Sabbath, also. SDA’s routinely help motorists in distress on the Sabbath and do whatever they can to assist when other emergencies arise.  What they don’t do is common work that can be done on the six working days. There is no excuse for doing that type of work on a day that God blessed and sanctified for the benefit of man. The guiding principle is to leave nothing undone that can be accomplished before the sacred Sabbath hours. >>>  

Paul taught the exact opposite of SDAs when he said that no one should judge the actions of a fellow Christian on the Sabbath. "Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day— things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ" (Colossians 2:16-17 NASB). Yet Old Covenant Sabbath keepers routinely judge what other Christians do or don't do on the Sabbath.

<<< Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.” (Colossians 2:16-17 KJV) SDA’s don’t see things quite the way the expert does. These verses don’t address the actions of Christian Sabbath keeping but the ritual law of the Jewish sanctuary. The shadow services of the Law of Moses ended at the cross. “Then verily the first covenant had also ordinances of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary.” (Hebrews 9:1 KJV) Paul is telling the Gentiles that they aren’t required to participate in the customs of the Jewish ritual law that the Judaizers wanted to impose on them. That law was a shadow of Christ and now that they have the substance, the shadow services are no longer required. To continue in them would be a denial of faith in Christ for forgiveness of sins, a denial of the gospel and a continued reliance on the Old Covenant remedy for sin. >>>  

SDAs have made the Sabbath a god.

<<< SDA’s rest and worship God on the day He blessed and sanctified which is the seventh day of the week (see Gen2:2, 3). It was not part of the “Jewish” law when it was made. Those who keep another day as their weekly Sabbath are worshiping a false God. They are idolaters. >>>

The SDA hierarchy tells it members that they must be willing to die for the Sabbath. The SDAs are very confused on this. It's the Gospel that we are to die for not the Old Covenant Sabbath of the Jews!

<<< The expert has convinced himself that the Sabbath commandment is a ceremonial ordinance that ended at the cross. This is a deadly deception and many are being deceived. One wonders why he is willing to support the idea of a “Gospel" 7th day Sabbath while condemning SDA’s for keeping what he defines as an "Old Covenant" 7th day Sabbath. It seems he is willing to allow any sort of Sabbath keeping on any day except for keeping the Sabbath of the 4th commandment. >>>

You wonder how does one "keep" the Gospel Sabbath? That is the wrong attitude to have. You sound like a Jew or SDA afraid that he will violate one of the many Sabbath rules he has learned.

<<< There is no such thing as a Gospel Sabbath. While keeping the law saves no one, those who are saved keep the law. >>>

The Gospel Sabbath is free from such unholy legalism. You should be filled with great joy and love for God and man. Do good for others. Meet with fellow Christians. Preach the gospel.

<<< None of those things are prohibited by the Sabbath of the 4th commandment unless one includes common work under the definition of doing good for others. The critics of the SDA Church invariably manage to misrepresent its beliefs and teachings in order to promote their own. >>>

Thanks for the question.

God Bless,

Brother Sal

<<< In Christ’s love’

Frank >>>  

Seventh-Day Adventists

Sal