Seventh-Day Adventists/Gospel Sabbath

Hello Sal:

I have written to you in the past because I believe you offer answers with strong scripture back up as opposed to what may seem to me as just opinions of many others. With that being said, I do not wish to discuss the Gospel Sabbath with Tom Norris because all he says in the answers I have reviewed is that Jesus taught a different style of Sabbath keeping. While I do see how Jesus explained what the pharisees were doing wrong I also see a comment about tithing which according to Tom Norris' analysis we should also tithe as Jesus told they Pharisees they should tithe while also giving weight to other matters. Mat. 23:23

Here is my question.  If Tom Norris is correct where exactly is this found in the bible?  Jesus mentions he gave us 2 commandments of to God and to our neighbors and he said on these 2 hang all the law and the prophets.  I also do not necessarily see how we should keep that Gospel Sabbath since I really do not understand what Tom said regarding that other than it is ok to work.  So what is supposed to be so special about the New Covenant Sabbath?  Is this just a new way for Adventists to save face with at least a portion of their doctrine?

I don't want to swing with each little twist in doctrine as it is hard to become grounded that way.  I like to read and test but there are a whole bunch of opinions about the Sabbath and in actuality Tom Norris has the best case but I still think he is wrong about this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dear Brother Charles:

As I understand it the difference between the Gospel or Reformed Sabbath and the Old Covenant Sabbath promoted by SDAism is the difference between freedom and slavery. The SDA Church promotes the legalistic Sabbath of the Jews. The Gospel Sabbath is one of great joy free from legalism. The many Sabbath restrictions of the Pharisees of old and the SDAs of today were removed once and for all by Jesus. The Old Covenant Sabbath keepers prohibit work on the Sabbath, but Jesus said that the Father and he work on the Sabbath thus work is allowed on the Gospel Sabbath. "For this reason the Jews were persecuting Jesus, because He was doing these things on the Sabbath. But He answered them, 'My Father is working until now, and I Myself am working'" (John 5:16-17 NASB). Paul taught the exact opposite of SDAs when he said that no one should judge the actions of a fellow Christian on the Sabbath. "Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath dayŚ things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ" (Colossians 2:16-17 NASB). Yet Old Covenant Sabbath keepers routinely judge what other Christians do or don't do on the Sabbath.

SDAs have made the Sabbath a god. The SDA hierarchy tells it members that they must be willing to die for the Sabbath. The SDAs are very confused on this. It's the Gospel that we are to die for not the Old Covenant Sabbath of the Jews!

You wonder how does one "keep" the Gospel Sabbath? That is the wrong attitude to have. You sound like a Jew or SDA afraid that he will violate one of the many Sabbath rules he has learned. The Gospel Sabbath is free from such unholy legalism. You should be filled with great joy and love for God and man. Do good for others. Meet with fellow Christians. Preach the gospel.

Thanks for the question.

God Bless,
Brother Sal  

Seventh-Day Adventists

I am privileged to be able to offer an alternative insight into the complicated world of Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) theology. I will rely heavily on the Bible, but will also consider history and use logic in exposing deficiencies in SDA teachings. I would ask anyone who is considering becoming a SDA or if you are already in the SDA church, but are searching for the truth, to please allow me to offer a different explanation for the claims of the SDA. Remember : "The truth will set you free" (John 8:32). I can answer your questions pertaining to the beliefs and history of the SDA. I am not able to answer questions concerning spirituality or church discipline.

I have extensively studied the theology of the Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) for a number of years. I have many books and tape sets produced by experts in this field of study. I have debated current members of the SDA church. I have a great desire to help these people see the truth.

M.S. degree in Food, Nutrition, and Dietetics