Seventh-Day Adventists/Why SDAs dont wear crosses

Could you tell me why SDA's don't wear crosses, is there a bible verse relating to this?

There are two reasons that I can think that Seventh-day Adventists do not wear crosses. The first is that the wearing of a cross is most generally seen as a sign of being a Roman Catholic. To wear one would send mixed signals, even though other Christians sometimes wear the cross.

The second reason is that Seventh-day Adventists do not generally wear ornamentation that is not functional. This would include rings (other than wedding bands), earrings, and different types of necklaces. The Scriptural basis for this is Peter's statement in 1 Peter 3:3, 4.

As a matter of symbology, early Christians, who saw the cross used as a form of capital punishment, recognized how horrible an experience it was to die on a cross. Thus, they did not use the cross as their symbol as many Christians do today. The early symbol for Christianity was the sign of the fish, since the Nazarene called His followers to be "fishers of men."

I hope this answer helps.

Seventh-Day Adventists

Kevin L. Morgan

Questions regarding Seventh-day Adventist doctrine and history, especially pertaining to Ellen G. White.

26 years pastoral experience; edited two books on Seventh-day Adventist history; published articles on theology; published one book on Adventist doctrines and one on Ellen G. White

Pastor Warrensville Seventh-day Adventist Church

Ministry magazine

BA Theology, with minor in Biblical languages MA homiletics

Graduated magna cum laude Distinguished preaching award