Seventh-Day Adventists/Michael and Jesus

Question
Dear Sal:
Isn't the SDA belief that Jesus was the archangel Michael a heresey? I was told by an SDA that Michael and Jesus are the same person. He said that Jesus is an angel. You know this people first hand. How do you deal with this heresey of the first order?
Thanks for all you do,
David

Answer
Dear Brother David:

It depends on what is meant by "angel". If the SDA means that Jesus is one of the created beings traditionally referred to as angels then he is clearly wrong since Jesus was not created. According to the Bible Jesus is God. "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God" (John 1:1 NIV). Using Michael to deny Jesus' divinity is the well-known heresy of the Jehovah's Witnesses (JW). If by "angel" he means a messenger than I have no problem with that since the Bible clearly says that Jesus was a messenger for the Father.

"In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe. The Son is the radiance of Godís glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven. So he became as much superior to the angels as the name he has inherited is superior to theirs" (Hebrews 1:1-4 NIV).

In my personal study of the Bible I have come to the conclusion that Michael and Jesus are two separate beings. However, if SDAs want to believe otherwise I will respect that so long as they  do not reach the JW conclusion that Jesus was not God.

I hope this answer was helpful to you. Let me know if I can be of further help.

A happy, healthy New Year to all,
Brother Sal  

Seventh-Day Adventists

Sal