Seventh-Day Adventists/Question

Question
Hi
I wanted to know why Jesus got baptized at the age of 30 why not before at a younger age. What verse in the bible says that Jesus had to be 30 to get baptized?

Answer
Dear Sister Miriam:

Jesus was baptized at 30 years old and not before because this fulfilled the type. The type was the Levitical priesthood particularly the Aaronic high priesthood. A Levite could not begin his priestly ministry until he was 30 years old. For example,  "Then the Lord spoke to Moses and Aaron, saying: 'Take a census of the sons of Kohath from among the children of Levi, by their families, by their fathers’ house, from thirty years old and above, even to fifty years old, all who enter the service to do the work in the tabernacle of meeting' (Numbers 4:1-3; see all of chapter 4). They were purified with a ritual washing.  "Then Moses brought Aaron and his sons and washed them with water" (Leviticus 8:6). Jesus was baptized in water. The high priest was anointed with oil. " And he poured some of the anointing oil on Aaron’s head and anointed him, to consecrate him: (Leviticus 8:12). Jesus was anointed with the Holy Spirit. "When He had been baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened to Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting upon Him" (Matthew 3:16; cf. Luke 3:21-22). At the first ordination the glory of the Lord was revealed. "And Moses and Aaron went into the tabernacle of meeting, and came out and blessed the people. Then the glory of the Lord appeared to all the people" (Leviticus 9:23). So at Jesus' "ordination" the glory of the Lord, the Holy Spirit and God's confirmation, was revealed. "When He had been baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened to Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting upon Him.  And suddenly a voice came from heaven, saying, 'This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased'” (Matthew 3:16-17). So you can see the baptism of Jesus being at 30 years old is related to Jesus being the New Covenant high priest, a greater than Aaron. For example, "And every priest stands ministering daily and offering repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. But this Man, after He had offered one sacrifice for sins forever, sat down at the right hand of God" (Hebrews 10:11-12). Another interesting fact is that David was a type of the Messiah to come, Jesus. Take note of when David began to reign as king. "David was thirty years old when he began to reign, and he reigned forty years" (2 Samuel 5:4).

Thank you for the question.

God Bless You,

Brother Sal

(All Scriptural quotations in this answer were taken from the New King James Version of the Holy Bible.)  

Seventh-Day Adventists

Sal