Seventh-Day Adventists/Vegetarianism

Dear Patricia:

Isn't vegetarianism the most healthy way to eat? I think that study after study agrees with that. So if vegetarianism is best for humans why wouldn't God want that for His children? You don't seem to support dietary restriction at all. Do you know better then the Bible? The books of Leviticus and Deuteronomy are clear that God's people should obey dietary restrictions. Also don't forget that Adam and Eve did not eat meat in the Garden of Eden.

Dear Tom,

Thank you so much for your comments and questions.

Your question : Isn't vegetarianism the best way to eat?

I don't know that it is. Have you not read how polluted our fruits and vegetables are with pesticides, etc.? Our food is absolutely not as healthy as it was when I was growing up. Today's wheat has been gene spliced into something unlike the original and unhealthy to produce more yield and money. Vegetables are loaded with pesticides to grow bigger and to make us bigger. Addictive additives are added in most foods to flare up our appetites for more and more food intake resulting in obesity as never before in our country's history. Our kids are growing big and tall and girls bodies are developing earlier because of the food manufacturers are allowed to produce and sell.

And what about the gluten a lot of vegetarians eat as a meat replacement? Meat would be healthier in my opinion. Why even try to imitate something that you don't believe should be food and call it health food when it isn't healthy -- just a lot of flour, salt, water and oil.

Your question : If vegetarianism is best why wouldn't God want it for his children?

There is no doubt that God wants the best for His children. That's biblical. However, your conclusion that vegetarianism is the best diet is only supported by studies that man have made and not by the God Who created us. Before sin it was God's diet of choice for Adam and Eve. The better or more relevant questions could be, "Why did God give Noah permission to eat everything that crept and crawled and why did God give Israel permission to eat only clean meats ? We could "logically " conclude (regarding Noah) that the reason was because all vegetation was destroyed after the flood (what I was taught as an Adventist) but is that premise really correct? No! According to the Bible, BEFORE Noah left the ark vegetation had begun to grow. Was Noah a vegetarian prior to the flood? If he were, he certainly knew the difference between clean and unclean meats.

Genesis 7:1-2 KJV

And the Lord said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation. [2] Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female.

Genesis 8:11-12 NIV (There was vegetation on earth before Noah and family left the ark)

When the dove returned to him in the evening, there in its beak was a freshly plucked olive leaf! Then Noah knew that the water had receded from the earth. [12] He waited seven more days and sent the dove out again, but this time it did not return to him.(

Obviously there was vegetation for the dove to eat because he did not return to Noah the second time)

Genesis 9:3 NIV (God's instructions to Noah)

Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you . Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.

Genesis 8:20 KJV

And Noah builded an altar unto the Lord ; and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar.

If vegetarianism is the best diet as the surveys of men claim, why did God make the eating of meat pertinent in the sacrificial system and ceremonies? The priests and the people were commanded to eat their meat offerings. As a Jew, Jesus ate lamb as prescribed for Passover and probably other clean meats. Also God the Son eat fish, fed it to 5000 and He cooked fish and fed it to His disciples for breakfast after the resurrection. Are the surveys of men allowed to trump what God has implemented Himself? Do men know what's best for us better than the God Who created us? I think not!

As the Word clearly reveals, God's chosen people (Israelites) were not vegetarians and the eating of or not eating of meat was never an issue . When God chose Israel as His people they were instructed what meats they could and couldn't eat -- not to refrain entirely from all meats. This is what the books of Leviticus and Deuteronomy (per your reference) are outlining to them. Please share with me the command for vegetarianism for Israel and for believers from Scripture.

Your question : Do I know better than the Bible because Leviticus and Deuteronomy outlines dietary restrictions (paraphrased)?

No I do not know better than the Bible. Just trying to follow its instructions. However, going by the Bible in the Old Testament allowed the Israelites to eat clean meats. Going by the Bible in the New Testament after the Cross, allows all people (including Jew and Gentile believers) to eat all food because all food is declared good . To incorporate the absence of meat in one's diet into a church's belief system is adding to scripture and is not biblical; AND for a person or a church to try to bind Gentiles to the dietary restrictions given to Israel is also not biblical.

BTW, you stated that I should remember that Adam and Eve were vegetarians in the Garden. Is that a fact or fable? The Bible doesn't address your statement as a matter of fact. It does say that their initial diet was fruits, vegetables. etc. but remember Adam and Eve were still in the Garden when they sinned and they were still in the garden when God brought them a covering of animal skins , which suggests that something had died. Whose to say they didn't partake of the slain animal? I am not saying they did but after they sinned everything God told them to do became symbolic of Christ's coming as Messiah. The Bible reveals that portions of the meat sacrifices were eaten by the people and priests, so Adam and Eve may have eaten parts of the slain animal that pointed to a coming Savior . I don't know that but like you, I can make a non-biblical assumption also but it doesn't make it a fact.

2 Chronicles 35:13 NIV   (Israelites eating meat)

They roasted the Passover animals over the fire as prescribed, and boiled the holy offerings in pots, caldrons and pans and served them quickly to all the people.

Leviticus 7:1-7 KJV (Priests eating meat offering)

Likewise this is the law of the trespass offering: it is most holy. [2] In the place where they kill the burnt offering shall they kill the trespass offering: and the blood thereof shall he sprinkle round about upon the altar. [3] And he shall offer of it all the fat thereof; the rump, and the fat that covereth the inwards, [4] And the two kidneys, and the fat that is on them, which is by the flanks, and the caul that is above the liver, with the kidneys , it shall he take away: [5] And the priest shall burn them upon the altar for an offering made by fire unto the Lord : it is a trespass offering. [6] Every male among the priests shall eat thereof : it shall be eaten in the holy place: it is most holy. [7] As the sin offering is , so is the trespass offering: there is one law for them: the priest that maketh atonement therewith shall have it .

Also of note, Abel's offering of meat was accepted by God but Cain's vegetarian offering was rejected .

Just so you know, I support vegetarians, vegans, meat eaters, raw food eaters, juicers and whatever else if that is what the Spirit has convicted the person to partake of. I take this position because I am not their judge, God is.

Romans 14:1-4 NIV

Accept the one whose faith is weak, without quarreling over disputable matters . [2] One person’s faith allows them to eat anything, but another, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. [3] The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them. [4] Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand.

Romans 14:14 NIV
I am convinced, being fully persuaded in the Lord Jesus, that nothing is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for that person it is unclean .

We are admonished to give thanks and ask God to bless our food. Foods' purpose is to go into the body and come out of the body.

1 Timothy 4:1-5 NIV

The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. [2] Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. [3] They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth . [4] For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, [5] because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer

Mark 7:16-23 NIV

[17] After he had left the crowd and entered the house, his disciples asked him about this parable. [18] “Are you so dull?” he asked. “Don’t you see that nothing that enters a person from the outside can defile them ? [19] For it doesn’t go into their heart but into their stomach, and then out of the body.” (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods clean .) [20] He went on: “What comes out of a person is what defiles them. [21] For it is from within, out of a person’s heart, that evil thoughts come ---sexual immorality, theft, murder, [22] adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. [23] All these evils come from inside and defile a person.”

Our primary concern should be what affects our heart because a lodging place inside of us will be found for what we believe. Food is an inconsequential matter but what is allowed in the heart has eternal consequences.

What one eats is subjective. However, if you are convicted by the Holy Spirit to be a vegetarian and you do it not, FOR YOU it is a sin. If and when God wants all of us to be vegetarians and I believe that will happen in the New Earth, He will make it abundantly clear. In the meantime, He permits each person to choose and we would do well to respect each others' choice.

Tom, I hope you can see the role of eating meat as revealed in Scripture. We are not commanded to be vegetarians but if we choose to be vegetarian or 'whatever', it shouldn't be imposed on others. I would invite you to do a concordance search on the word "meat" for further enlightenment.

May God bless and keep you always.  

Seventh-Day Adventists

Patricia Allen

As a former Seventh-day Adventist (SDA), I have insight of value to those who are questioning and/or trying to decide if they should leave or become an SDA. It would be my privilege to discuss SDA church doctrine, structure, Ellen White, the old and new covenants, and their various beliefs. The Bible will be my main source of reference and all quotes, etc. will be documented. I understand that there are different variants of Adventists, but I am only familiar with what I would call traditional or main stream.

I was a Seventh-day Adventist for over 50 years. I attended their schools and I was always active in the churches I attended. I also worked for the denomination for 37 years. Since I was educated in their schools from Grade 1, and because what I was taught came from the Bible, I never questioned my beliefs. I considered myself as one whom the Lord had chosen to bring out of darkness into His marvelous light. In the year 2005, I became keenly aware that Ellen White contradicted the Scriptures numerous times and plagiarized some of her most popular writings. At this point, I had to seriously consider studying for myself with the aid of the Holy Spirit to see if indeed I really had the truth. Sad to say, I discovered that I was deluded and deliberately deceived by the church I loved and served. In 2010, I requested that my name be withdrawn from the membership roster of the church. Since then, it has been my passion to tell those in the SDA church and those considering joining Adventism, the truth and freedom that I have discovered and enjoy daily. I interact on Facebook with SDAs frequently regarding their beliefs and doctrines compared to the Bible. In addition to answering questions on this site, I have a blog ( and the purpose of my articles is to expose the false doctrines of the SDA church After 50 plus years of trying to 'work' my way, I have discovered the sweet rest in the finished work of my Savior. I've also discovered that there is nothing that I have ever done to make Jesus love me less and there is nothing that I can ever do to make Jesus love me more. Jesus just loves me and this I know!

M.A.O.M. degree (Master of Arts in Organizational Management). I also have a B.A.I.C. degree (Born Again in Christ). My calling is to help spread the Good News of the Gospel and to help lift the veil by sharing Jesus, Who is the Truth and the Light.