Seventh-Day Adventists/need insteadind

Frank wrote at 2013-02-06 23:15:36

<<< The expert’s answer: >>>

Yes, the teaching of the Bible is that the Sabbath was only for the Israelites/Jews.

<<< Rather, it is the teaching of the expert that the Sabbath was only for the Israelites/Jews. The Bible says “And he (Jesus) said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:” (Mark 2:27 KJV) >>>

While the Sabbath is called the sign of God’s covenant with His people in the Old Covenant it is never called such in the New Covenant.

<<< The Sabbath distinguishes those who are keeping the commandments of God rather than Commandments of men or false gods. It identifies those who keep it as acknowledging that it is the Lord God who “made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is” (Exodus 20:11KJV). Those who willingly keep any other day or no day at all are in rebellion to the law of God and remain under its condemnation.  Since it is not part of the law that Christ fulfilled on the cross it remains as a sign for God's people in the New Testament. >>>

The Old Testament contains lists of Sabbath restrictions (see Exodus 16:23, 29; 20:10; 31:14-15; 34:21; 35:3; Nehemiah 13:19; Jeremiah 17:21-22), and the penalty for Sabbath violation-death-is made perfectly clear (see Exodus 31:14-15; 35:2; Numbers 15:35-36).

<<< There is no such thing as an Old Testament list of Sabbath restrictions. The wages of sin is death under both covenants and in both Testaments and sin is transgression of the law (see 1 John 3:4). When the children of Israel were given manna, (Exodus 16:23, 29) it was to last only for a short time. That is, it would have ceased to fall if they had entered the Promised Land as commanded by the Lord shortly after having been given the law at Sinai. Because of disobedience they were condemned to eat manna in the wilderness forty years until that generation had died. They were also forbidden from kindling a fire on the Sabbath (Exodus 35:3). Once in the Promised Land, the manna ceased and there were no “Sabbath restrictions”. The commandment to rest on the seventh day is a freedom from work that is required on the other six days and an opportunity for fellowship with the creator that was bestowed upon us by our creator when He blessed and sanctified the seventh day of creation week. >>>

The New Testament, however, contains no list of Sabbath restrictions and never is Sabbath-breaking listed among New Testament sins (see Mark 7:21-22; Romans 1:29-32; Galatians 5:19-21; 2 Timothy 3:1-4; Revelation 21:8).

<<< The moral law was given to the children of Israel in the form of ten all inclusive commandments at Sinai (see Exodus chapter 20). There are those who choose to believe that this law was original to the nation about to be established. SDA’s believe it is the principles of this law that were written in the heart and mind of Adam and Eve and it is this law that they transgressed when they ate from the forbidden tree. Where in the Gospels did Jesus say the Sabbath was not to be observed after His death? A will or testament is established before the death of the one making it (testator), not after. The expert states that he believes Sabbath breaking is not listed as a “New Testament sin”. Any sin mentioned in the New Testament is proscribed by the Ten Commandment law found in the book of Exodus.  The expert’s texts of sinful behaviors (sins of the flesh) includes idolatry (Galatians 5:20).  Any person who professes Christ as Lord and Savior and doesn’t keep the 4th Commandment of the Decalogue is an idolater. “Another sin from the verses above is heresies. “But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.” (2 Peter 2:1 KJV) Heresies are opinions or beliefs that contradict established religious teaching. When the letters of the New Testament were being written the only established teachings were the Old Testament scriptures. Variance is a similar sin found in the above texts which would include Sabbath breaking. The expert’s answers always include the assumption that the Law given to Israel at Sinai including the Decalogue ended at the cross. SDA’s respectfully disagree. >>>

St. Paul who wrote much to the Gentile converts never even once mentioned that keeping the Sabbath was of any importance.

<<< The Sabbath was never considered to be a candidate for exclusion from the law in the New Testament by any of the Apostles, much less Jesus Himself. When Jesus spoke of, or the New Testament authors wrote about, the law they were always referring to the Old Testament as that was their Bible. Paul did not know that his letters to the churches would become part of a New Testament. He was looking for Jesus’ soon coming. He didn’t know he was making additions to scripture. The written law is not done away with until sin and sinners are destroyed in the Lake of Fire and the Saints have been raised incorruptible. Even then the Sabbath continues as it will have been established along with the rest of the principles of the Ten Commandments as the rule of life (see Romans 3:31). The prophet Nahum writes, “What do ye imagine against the LORD? he will make an utter end: affliction shall not rise up the second time.” (Nahum 1:9 KJV) >>>  

He also never mentioned to the Gentiles how they were supposed to keep this Jewish weekly festival.

<<< The Sabbath of the 4th Commandment is not a weekly Jewish festival. The 4th commandment told how it was to be observed and Jesus made many statements about what was lawful on the Sabbath day when he contended with the Pharisees over their man made restrictions. It is the prophet Isaiah that gave the most eloquent description of the Sabbath promise when he wrote, “If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words: Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.” (Isaiah 58:13-14 KJV) >>>

All this is strange, indeed, if the 7th day Sabbath is still a requirement in the New Covenant as the SDA claims.

<<< What is strange is that so few people are willing to recognize that the whole world has been deceived by the beast power (Papacy) into believing that Sunday is the Christian Sabbath and its change from the seventh day to the first day of the week is simply a mark of its ecclesiastical authority. The expert’s (false) contention that the Sabbath was never part of the law in the New Testament and that mandatory Sunday keeping is not part of the law will not prevent most of the protestant world from believing it is or keep them from forming an image to the beast as they accept and promote the Papal Sabbath. “And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death; and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the beast.” (Revelation 13:3 KJV) >>>

The Ten Commandments were the heart of the Old Covenant. “So Moses stayed there with the Lord for forty days and forty nights, without eating food or drinking water, and he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant: the Ten Commandments” (Exodus 34:28 NIV). “So He declared to you His covenant which He commanded you to perform, that is, the Ten Commandments; and He wrote them on two tablets of stone” (Deuteronomy 4:13 NASB).

<<< It is not the law that is defined by the Ten Commandments that ended at the cross. It was the Covenant promise of life in God’s kingdom that was lost to the Jewish nation. Jesus warned the Pharisees and chief priests, “Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.” (Matthew 21:43 KJV) And who is this nation? Peter tells us that it is the Christian Church, “But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:” (1 Peter 2:9 KJV) The blessings of the covenant have always been contingent upon obedience to the law of God. The law that was written in stone at Sinai is now written in the heart and mind of Christians as they believe in Christ for forgiveness of sins and in the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit for righteousness. >>>

The 7th day Sabbath was the sign of the Old Covenant between God and the Israelites. “Therefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel forever; for in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day He rested and was refreshed” (Exodus 31:16-17 NKJV; see also Exodus 31:13). “Also I gave them My sabbaths to be a sign between Me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD who sanctifies them” (Ezekiel 20:12 NASB; see also Ezekiel 20:20). “You shall remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the LORD your God brought you out of there by a mighty hand and by an outstretched arm; therefore the LORD your God commanded you to observe the sabbath day” (Deuteronomy 5:15 NASB). The Old Covenant that contained the Ten Commandments, including the Sabbath, was for the Israelites only. The only exception would be Gentile converts and others under the authority of the Israelites (see Exodus 20:10).

<<< It is the Sabbath commandment that distinguishes the Lord as the one true God and the creator of the heavens and the earth (see Exodus 20:11). It is this commandment that gives the law its authority and establishes it for as long as the Lord is God. The law of the king of the universe cannot be abolished, much less changed by man. The Sabbath day was made by God when the seventh day ended as He blessed and sanctified it and that established its place in the lives of men for eternity. >>>  

The entire 613-law covenant was for the Israelites only. “Or what great nation is there that has statutes and judgments as righteous as this whole law which I am setting before you today?” (Deuteronomy 4:8 NASB). “He has revealed his word to Jacob, his laws and decrees to Israel. He has done this for no other nation; they do not know his laws” (Psalm 147:19-20 NIV). “And there I have put the ark, in which is the covenant of the LORD which He made with the children of Israel” (2 Chronicles 6:11 NKJV).

<<< Calling the covenant made at Sinai a 613 law covenant is merely repeating the fantasy of a Jewish Rabbi who promoted it hundreds of years after the cross. Included in his list are both moral and ceremonial statutes. There is no distinction made between the law that ended with the death of Christ and the eternal moral law that has governed the race from creation and will last through eternity. The "statutes and judgments" mentioned in Deuteronomy 4:8 do not include the ceremonial ordinances that Christ fulfilled on the cross and is fulfilling in the heavenly sanctuary as our High Priest. >>>

The Bible is clear that the Old Covenant was between God and the Israelites, and no one else.  

<<< The New Covenant promise that began when Adam and Eve sinned is now being fulfilled by spiritual Israel. That is a concept found in scripture and it is a sore spot with those attempting to explain away the Sabbath of the 4th Commandment. Their cherished excuse is the law in the Old Testament was for Israel only. It loses its significance when measured against Bible truth. “For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.” (Romans 2:28-29 KJV) “Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness. Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.” (Galatians 3:6-7 KJV) >>>

This is why God through His prophets never condemns Gentiles for not keeping the Sabbath. It was never God’s plan to have Gentiles, as a people, observe the Sabbath.

<<< The New Covenant law is the principles of the Ten Commandments written in the heart and mind. The Gentiles never questioned the validity of the Sabbath Commandment and Paul never suggested they should keep another day, even when convenient opportunities arose. “And it came to pass in Iconium, that they went both together into the synagogue of the Jews, and so spake, that a great multitude both of the Jews and also of the Greeks believed.” (Acts 14:1 KJV)  “And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks.” (Acts 18:4 KJV)  SDA’s believe that the Ten Commandment law is universal and it is the Jewish ritual law that was for “Israel only”. >>>

Brother Sal

<<< In Christ’s love,

Frank >>>

Seventh-Day Adventists

Sal