Seventh-Day Adventists/Is the Sabbath Forever?

Frank wrote at 2013-02-23 22:27:07
2 21 2013 – Is the Sabbath Forever

Expert - “As one can plainly see the Sabbath law was spoken through Moses “to the people of Israel” (v. 13) not the world.”

SDA response - Those who know the expert’s doctrinal beliefs know that he says the Ten Commandments are just ten of 613 Old Covenant Commandments. Scripture does not support that view, however. After giving the account of the Lord speaking the Ten Commandments to the children of Israel, just before entering the Promised Land, Moses writes, “These words the LORD spake unto all your assembly in the mount out of the midst of the fire, of the cloud, and of the thick darkness, with a great voice: and he added no more. And he wrote them in two tables of stone, and delivered them unto me.” (Deuteronomy 5:22 KJV) “And thou shalt put the mercy seat above upon the ark; and in the ark thou shalt put the testimony that I shall give thee.” (Exodus 25:21 KJV) “And I turned myself and came down from the mount, and put the tables in the ark which I had made; and there they be, as the LORD commanded me.” (Deuteronomy 10:5 KJV) The earthly tabernacle was but a copy, patterned after the true sanctuary in heaven. God told Moses “And let them make me a sanctuary; that I may dwell among them. According to all that I shew thee, after the pattern of the tabernacle, and the pattern of all the instruments thereof, even so shall ye make it.” (Exodus 25:8-9 KJV) And from the New Testament, “And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in his temple the ark of his testament: and there were lightnings, and voices, and thunderings, and an earthquake, and great hail.” (Revelation 11:19 KJV) “For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us:” (Hebrews 9:24 KJV) “A minister of the sanctuary, and of the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, and not man.” (Hebrews 8:2 KJV) Everything about the earthly sanctuary that took place before the cross was but a shadow or representation of Christ’s atoning sacrifice and work in the heavenly sanctuary in behalf of fallen man after the cross. The law in the ark here on earth before the cross must therefore be the law in the ark in the heavenly sanctuary or God is a liar and we know that can’t be.  

The moral law is defined by the Ten Commandments given at Sinai (see Exodus 20:2-17). It is a transcript of God’s character and it was God’s purpose to reproduce that character in His new creation. “So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.” (Genesis 1:27 KJV) God tested Adam and Eve’s character with a simple command. They were told they could eat from all the trees in the garden except for the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. (See Genesis 2:16, 17) They were told if they ate of it they would die (vs. 17). As a result of their disobedience, they broke their covenant relationship with God and were expelled from the garden, depriving them from access to the tree of life. (See Genesis 3:23). They sinned, which is transgression of the law (see 1 John 3:4).  If the first pair did not have the knowledge of God and His laws, the test of obedience would have been meaningless, “. . . for where no law is, there is no transgression.”

(Romans 4:15 KJV)

Expert – “So in conclusion, even though the Sabbath is indeed said to be perpetual and forever that does not automatically mean Christians must observe it. As we have seen Scripture gives many examples of perpetual and forever things have ceased to be valid in the New Covenant. Also in context Exodus 31:16-17 is binding only on the people of Israel it is not binding on the Church today.”

SDA response –“The works of his hands are verity and judgment; all his commandments are sure. They stand fast for ever and ever, and are done in truth and uprightness.” (Psalms 111:7-8 KJV) “So shall I keep thy law continually for ever and ever.” (Psalms 119:44 KJV) The phrase “forever and ever” is never used in scripture to describe ceremonial ordinances that ended at the cross. Since the Sabbath is defined by the 4th Commandment of the Decalogue and it was made before sin (see Genesis 2:2, 3), it cannot be said that it was ceremonial nor can it be said to have ended at the cross.

In a prior answer the expert pointed that there were sacrifices before the Law of Moses. These sacrifices were required as part of God’s ceremonial law that was instituted after sin (e.g. Genesis 4:4). This was long before there was a Jew. The ceremonial law wasn’t for Israel only but for all who looked to the promised Savior for forgiveness of sins in the Old Testament.

In Christ’s love,

“. . . for by the law is the knowledge of sin.” (Romans 3:20 KJV)

Seventh-Day Adventists

I am privileged to be able to offer an alternative insight into the complicated world of Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) theology. I will rely heavily on the Bible, but will also consider history and use logic in exposing deficiencies in SDA teachings. I would ask anyone who is considering becoming a SDA or if you are already in the SDA church, but are searching for the truth, to please allow me to offer a different explanation for the claims of the SDA. Remember : "The truth will set you free" (John 8:32). I can answer your questions pertaining to the beliefs and history of the SDA. I am not able to answer questions concerning spirituality or church discipline.

I have extensively studied the theology of the Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) for a number of years. I have many books and tape sets produced by experts in this field of study. I have debated current members of the SDA church. I have a great desire to help these people see the truth.

M.S. degree in Food, Nutrition, and Dietetics