Seventh-Day Adventists/Seal of God

Question
QUESTION: Hello could you please help me understand something.  I do understand that sunday first day of week is indeed the devils counterfeit sabbath but something that i am needing you to shed some light on is this.  I do understand the seal of God is the fourth commandment but now i read in ephesians that the holy spirit is the seal of God, thenconfusion comes from these sriptures.

In 2 timoth 2:19 ...having this seal? What seal?

Then ephesians 1:13 is saying  SEALED WITH that holy spirit of promise ? Thiis to me is saying we arebsealed with the holy spirit? Help dont understand

Then in ephesians 4:30 it says whereby ye are sealed?? This means and correct me if im wrong but this means it is the holy spirit that is the one who is doing the sealing but the holy spirit is not the seal of God but ratger the sealer.

But eph 1:13 says tge seal is the holy spirit, so is the seal of God then not the sabbath? I must understand this please shed light on these difficult scriptures.

God bless

ANSWER: Dear Willem, Thanks for writing and for sharing your comments.  You have asked some difficult questions here because thousands and thousands of pages and scores of books have been written on the Seal of God.  I don’t know how I can answer these questions with just a few short paragraphs.  I’ll try to share a little with you but often times the study of many Bible subjects are the work of a lifetime and you must ask God to help you understand every time you open your Bible.  Please remember also that God does not give any one of us all the light on any subject at one time.  If God were to reveal all this truth at once it would just overwhelm us.  Each person receives truth at a different rate and God knows just how much light to reveal to each person as they are able to receive it.  So don’t get discouraged if it seems hard for you to understand something.  It takes time and patience and prayer.  I guess I will just start at the top of your letter and add a few comments as I read along.  You are correct that the first day of the week is the devil’s counterfeit of God’s genuine 7th day.  So you already have two opposing forces, the counterfeit and the true.  The “mark of the beast” verses the “Seal of God.”  Incidentally, how is the 4th commandment related to the seal of God?  The 4th commandment is the only commandment of the 10 that contains all the items of an official seal.  Notice some of the highlights of the 4th commandment.  Exodus 20:10  But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God…for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is…”  Besides God having set aside and blessed this day please notice all the items that make up an official seal – name, title and domain or territory.  The name is the Lord God, the title is the maker or creator and the territory or domain is heaven, earth, sea and all that is in them (in other words, the whole universe).  No wonder Satan tries to get rid of this commandment because without it people begin to forget who the real Creator is.  In the next sentence you mention 2Timothy 2:19 and ask, what seal?  Well, the seal of God.  The verse answers the question.  I’ll copy this verse and the one before it.  They read “2:18 Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some. 2:19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.”  Paul says that there were false teachers who have erred and led some astray and overthrew the faith of some.  But Paul says,  even though these false brethren were teaching errors still “the foundation of God stands true because it has this seal.  And the seal is that “The Lord knows them that are His.”  God recognizes His true followers because they have the seal of God.  No, it’s not a literal seal or stamp on their head but God knows them because they obey and follow Him.  Incidentally, the Bible says that you can only receive the Seal of God in your forehead.  But with the devil’s seal or mark, you can receive it either in your forehead or in your hand.  That’s a whole study in itself but let me just mention that the forehead is the seat of reason, the place where all your decisions are made and receiving something in your forehead means that you fully believe and give your full assent to that particular teaching.  But let me try to go on.  It’s so difficult to try to explain so much by typing it and not just speaking it but I have to say it is doing wonders for my typing abilities.  Anyway, let me mention a few more things because there is so much on the subject and I’m trying to condense it by deciding what to leave in and what to leave out.  I don’t want to add too much and then make it more confusing.  Let me copy a key verse on “sealing” and I want to mention one or two things and the rest you have to think through.  The verse is Revelation 7:3, 4 which reads “Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads, 7:4 And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel.”  The number 144,000 is a symbolic number but notice who is sealed in the forehead.  It’s the tribes of “Israel”.  “Israel does not mean the Jewish nation of Israel.  The term “Israel” means “victorious.”  It is a spiritual title given to anyone who prevails over sin through the righteousness of Christ.  Remember the story in Genesis chapter 32 verse 24 and on.  Jacob wrestles all night with who he thought was a man but when he realizes he is wrestling with the Angel of the Lord he says I will not let you go until I receive a blessing.  The Lord asks Jacob his name and then says your name will no longer be Jacob but Israel because you have prevailed or overcome.  Please read that chapter in Genesis 32 to get the full idea.  So now we have more clues as to what the seal of God is and who receives it.  Revelation 7:4 says that the children of “Israel” receive it and Genesis 32 says that those who overcome or prevail are Israel.  By the way, while God is sealing or marking His people, the devil is also marking or sealing his followers. Revelation 13:16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:  13:17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.  The sealing or marking work is the closing work of this world’s history.  This is an end time event and I’m sure you know that we are living in the last days of earth’s history.  The future of every single individual is dependent upon whether one receives the seal of God or the mark of the beast.  In mentioning Ephesians 4:30 you correctly state that the Holy Spirit is the One that does the sealing.  Paul is admonishing the church at Ephesus saying that if anyone stole things then don’t do it anymore.  If you used foul language then learn to say good things.  Don’t be bitter or angry or be a trouble maker because doing these things grieve or make sad the Spirit and it is that Spirit that seals or keeps you secure until the day of redemption.  Ephesians  4:28 Let him that stole steal no more... 4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. 4:30 And grieve not the holy spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.  Willem please don’t get discouraged if some verses are hard to understand.  God will reveal to you everything that you need to know necessary for your salvation.  He promises this.  Sometimes it takes a while to get a good understanding of parts of Scripture.  No one knows everything concerning the Scriptures.  Every day new truths shine forth.  We will be studying the Bible even in the earth made new.  If you come across a verse that says for example that the Holy Spirit does the sealing and then a verse that says He is the sealing remember that this is God and He is not confined to just one function.  The Bible says that God is “justified” and also the “justifier.”  Christ is the High Priest who offers the sacrifice and also the Lamb that is sacrificed, both sacrifice and sacrificer. Notice a play on words with the verse that reads “sealed with the seal of the living God.”  Is the seal applied by the living God or is the seal the living God?  In mentioning Ephesians 1:13 please take into consideration verse 14 also which makes the meaning a little clearer.  It reads “ In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, 1:14  Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.  The passage states that you were sealed with the holy Spirit of “promise” which is the earnest of our inheritance….”  It is the promise of the Holy Spirit which is the earnest (assurance) of our inheritance.  This verse is referring to the act of the Holy Spirit whereby He makes a pledge (earnest) providing assurance to the believer of eternal life in Christ.  The important thing for now is knowing that God’s Holy Spirit - the Spirit of Truth – seals each person who receives Jesus as their personal savior and Lord.  The evidence that person belongs to Christ is revealed in that person’s willingness to obey God in all things – to keep His commandments.  When you do this God’s seal is made evident in at least three ways in a person’s life.  The person has faith in Jesus, the person experiences a change in their character and the person grows in giving their obedience to God.  If you read the Old Testament you can see how God identified His sign or seal.  Ezekiel 20:20 And hallow my sabbaths; and they shall be a sign between me and you, that ye may know that I am the LORD your God.  Ezekiel 20:12 Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them.  These verses show that the 7th day Sabbath is the sign between us and God and part of the sealing process.  So when is the sealing work done?  Again this is a whole Bible study in itself because the Bible mentions two sealings, the first sealing is common to all who love God and are called and  another sealing that is not common to all  is reserved for the 144,000 but we can save this for another time.  So I’m going to stop here for now and you continue your studies and most importantly ask the Lord to help you along and He will you know because He loves you very much.  Do some studying and we will talk again soon.  Your friend, anthony  

QUESTION: Thank you Anthony for shedding the light of our Great God and Savior on this matter but you have said something very interesting and i would like to quote you so here goes.

But with the devil’s seal or mark, you can receive it either in your forehead or in your hand.  That’s a whole study in itself

What do u mean, please teach us all about this

God bless

Answer
Dear Willem, Here are some pages from the writings of E.G. White on the topic of the Seal of God that you might find helpful. anthony

«Great Controversy 1888, Page 691
In Ezekiel 9:4 the word used in the original is translated mark. Gesenius says, “a mark, sign.” The Septuagint gives the same word in this text that is given in the Greek of Romans 4:11, rendered “sign.” Thus the words sign, mark, and seal are applied to the same things, or used as of like signification, in the scriptures.
In Ezekiel 9:4 and Revelation 7:2, 3, the mark or sign is said to be placed in the foreheads of the servants of God. Both these scriptures refer to a time when utter destruction is coming on the ungodly. The seal is placed upon God’s people as a safeguard to preserve them from the evil impending. But “the forehead” is evidently used as a figure, to denote the intellect or mind, as “the heart” is used to denote the disposition or affections. To mark or seal in the forehead is the same as to “write in the mind.” Hebrews 10:16.
The Sabbath is the sign of God; it is the seal of His law. Isaiah 8:16. It is the token of His authority and power. It is a sign whereby we may know that He is God, and therefore it is appropriately said to be placed in the forehead. The worshipers of the beast (Revelation 13) are said to receive his mark in their foreheads or in their hands. As the forehead represents the intellect, the hand represents power, as Psalm 89:48, “Shall he deliver his soul from the hand of the grave?” Compulsory worship is not acceptable to God; His servants are sealed only in their foreheads. But it is acceptable to wicked powers; it has always been craved by the Romish hierarchy. See chapter 25 for proof on the nature of this mark. The sign or seal of God is his Sabbath, and the seal or mark of the beast is in direct opposition to it; it is a counterfeit Sabbath on the “day of the sun.” According to Revelation 14:9-12, they who do not receive the mark of the beast keep the commandments of God; and the Sabbath is in the fourth precept; they keep the Sabbath of the Lord; they have his sign or seal. The importance of this sign is shown in this, that the fourth commandment is the only one in the law which distinguishes the Creator from false gods. Compare Jeremiah 10:10-12; Acts 17:23, 24; Revelation 14:6, 7, etc. and it is that part of his law for keeping which his people will suffer persecution. But when the wrath of God comes upon the persecutors who are found enforcing the sign or mark of the beast, then they will realize the importance of the Sabbath,—the seal of the living God. They who turn away from that which the Lord spoke when his voice shook the earth, will confess their fatal error when his voice shall shake the heavens and the earth. Hebrews 12:25, 26; Joel 3:9-16, and others. See also pages 639, 640 of this book.
God’s Ideal for His Church, October 9
That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish. Ephesians 5:27. The Lord God is a jealous God; yet He bears long with the sins and transgressions of His people in this generation. If the people of God had walked in His counsel, the work of God would have advanced, the messages of truth would have been borne to all people that dwell on the face of the whole earth.... But because the people are disobedient, unthankful, unholy, as were ancient Israel, time is prolonged that all may hear the last message of mercy proclaimed with a loud voice. The Lord’s work has been hindered, the sealing time delayed. Many have not heard the truth. But the Lord will give them a chance to hear and be converted. What are you doing ... in the great work of preparation? Those who are uniting with the world are receiving the worldly mold and preparing for the mark of the beast. Those who are distrustful of self, who are humbling themselves before God and purifying their souls by obeying the truth—these are receiving the heavenly mold and preparing for the seal of God in their foreheads. When the decree goes forth and the stamp is impressed, their character will remain pure and spotless for eternity. Now is the time to prepare. The seal of God will never be placed upon the forehead of an impure man or woman. It will never be placed upon the forehead of the ambitious, world-loving man or woman. It will never be placed upon the forehead of men or women of false tongues or deceitful hearts. All who receive the seal must be without spot before God—candidates for heaven. Every individual soul, if he would receive the seal of the living God, must hear the Word of the Lord, and do it with exactitude. There must be no such thing as haphazard religion if men would have a place in the family of God. Now is the time, while the four angels are holding the four winds, to make our calling and election sure.
Evangelism, Page 235
those who still continue in transgression will receive the mark of the beast. With rapid steps we are approaching this period. When Protestant churches shall unite with the secular power to sustain a false religion, for opposing which their ancestors endured the fiercest persecution, then will the papal sabbath be enforced by the combined authority of church and state. There will be a national apostasy, which will end only in national ruin.—Manuscript 51, 1899.
When Seal of God Is Refused—If the light of truth has been presented to you, revealing the Sabbath of the fourth commandment, and showing that there is no foundation in the Word of God for Sunday observance, and yet you still cling to the false sabbath, refusing to keep holy the Sabbath which God calls “My holy day,” you receive the mark of the beast. When does this take place? When you obey the decree that commands you to cease from labor on Sunday and worship God, while you know that there is not a word in the Bible showing Sunday to be other than a common working day, you consent to receive the mark of the beast, and refuse the seal of God.—The Review and Herald, July 13, 1897.
As a Result of Disregard of Light—God has given men the Sabbath as a sign between Him and them, as a test of their loyalty. Those who, after the light regarding God’s law comes to them, continue to disobey and exalt human laws above the law of God in the great crisis before us will receive the mark of the beast.—Letter 98, 1900.  

Seventh-Day Adventists

Anthony