Seventh-Day Adventists/covenant

Dear Sal,
God has made many Covenants with His people,in Matt 5:17 Christ said he did not come to abolish the law or the prophets but to fulfill them. The one covenant he did modify is the the type of blood required to ratify that covenant. Exodus 24:8 moses uses blood of sheep and goats to offer as a peace offering to the Lord,Christ replaced that covenant with His blood Luke 22:8. Christ declared the dieatary law of Moses obsolete in Mark 7:7-23 but specificlly reinterates the commandments.The Church since Pentacost has taught the Ten Commandments Christ taught the The Ten Commandments why would they become obsolete in the 21 century? Saint Paul taught the Romans the Ten Commandments in Romans 13.
         Dominus Vobiscum

Dear Brother Glen:

Jesus, the early Church, and Paul all taught commandments, but not the Ten Commandments for the Church. You ask, “why would they (the Ten Commandments) become obsolete in the 21st century?” I respond that they became obsolete in the 1st century. It was Paul who made this fact quite clear.  “By calling this covenant ‘new,’ he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear” (Hebrews 8:13 NIV). What does the Bible say was the first covenant that is now obsolete? “So He declared to you His covenant which He commanded you to perform, that is, the Ten Commandments; and He wrote them on two tablets of stone” (Deuteronomy 4:13 NASB).

The problem with legalists (I’m not saying that you are a legalist) is that they see a commandment in the New Testament that was written on the tablets of stone and they immediately assume that the New Testament is confirming the Ten Commandments as written at Sinai. In so doing the legalist fails to recognize that we are now in a new covenant. In this new covenant are commandments. Some of these commandments are the same as found in the previous or old covenant, some are similar, and some are different. A Christian cannot be condemned for violating an Old Covenant commandment. He can only be condemned for the violation of a New Covenant commandment. As noted above all Old Covenant commandments are obsolete in the New Covenant.

Perhaps the following illustration will prove helpful in understanding this concept. After the colonies declared independence from England, they wrote the laws of the United States of America. Some of those laws were the same as the previous laws imposed by England, some were similar, and some were different. An American could not be charged with violating an English law. He could only be charged with the violation of the laws of America. English laws were, and still are, null and void in the United States.

It is a fact that the nine moral commandments written on the tablets of stone are reiterated numerous times in the pages of the New Testament. Only the ceremonial sign of the Old Covenant, the 7th day Sabbath, is not even once commanded to be observed by Christians. Again if a Christian violates one of those commandments written on stone he is guilty because the commandment is now written in the New Testament not because it was written on stone in the Old Covenant.  

I pray that this clears up your concern,
Brother Sal

Seventh-Day Adventists

I am privileged to be able to offer an alternative insight into the complicated world of Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) theology. I will rely heavily on the Bible, but will also consider history and use logic in exposing deficiencies in SDA teachings. I would ask anyone who is considering becoming a SDA or if you are already in the SDA church, but are searching for the truth, to please allow me to offer a different explanation for the claims of the SDA. Remember : "The truth will set you free" (John 8:32). I can answer your questions pertaining to the beliefs and history of the SDA. I am not able to answer questions concerning spirituality or church discipline.

I have extensively studied the theology of the Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) for a number of years. I have many books and tape sets produced by experts in this field of study. I have debated current members of the SDA church. I have a great desire to help these people see the truth.

M.S. degree in Food, Nutrition, and Dietetics