Seventh-Day Adventists/The Sabbath Is For God's People

Frank wrote at 2013-03-02 00:41:02
<<< The expert’s answer: >>>

If the Sabbath is still in effect and is required of Christians, why doesn’t the New Testament say so? The Old Testament stated very clearly and very often that the Sabbath was to be observed by the Israelites. The New Testament does not have like statements addressed to Christians to observe the Sabbath. If the Sabbath is as important for Christians as you claim it’s a shame that the Holy Spirit didn’t inspire at least one New Testament writer to record this important fact.

<<< It is not necessary for any of the Ten Commandments to be repeated in the New Testament for them to still be valid commandments for Christians. The New Testament writers didn’t give the moral law. They were not empowered to make new laws. >>>    

Below are some Holy Spirit inspired Old Testament commands for Israel to keep the Sabbath.

“He said to them, This is what the Lord commanded: ‘Tomorrow is to be a day of sabbath rest, a holy sabbath to the Lord. So bake what you want to bake and boil what you want to boil. Save whatever is left and keep it until morning’” (Exodus 16:23 NIV).

“See! For the Lord has given you the Sabbath; therefore He gives you on the sixth day bread for two days. Let every man remain in his place; let no man go out of his place on the seventh day” (Exodus 16:29 NKJV).

<<< The two verses just quoted concern the children of Israel as they were led from Egypt to Sinai. They were being tested to see if they would keep God’s law. “Then said the LORD unto Moses, Behold, I will rain bread from heaven for you; and the people shall go out and gather a certain rate every day, that I may prove them, whether they will walk in my law, or no.” (Exodus 16:4 KJV) >>>

“Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates” (Exodus 20:8-10 NKJV).

<<< The expert has left out the last, and arguably the most important, verse of the 4th commandment. It is the verse that identifies who the lawgiver is, establishing His authority to continue the Covenant agreement with the new nation He is about to establish in the Promised Land. (see Exodus 19:5, 6) >>>   

“Six days you shall do your work, and on the seventh day you shall rest, that your ox and your donkey may rest, and the son of your female servant and the stranger may be refreshed” (Exodus 23:12 NKJV).

“The Lord spoke to Moses, saying, But as for you, speak to the sons of Israel, saying, ‘You shall surely observe My sabbaths; for this is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the Lord who sanctifies you. Therefore you are to observe the sabbath, for it is holy to you. Everyone who profanes it shall surely be put to death; for whoever does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from among his people. For six days work may be done, but on the seventh day there is a sabbath of complete rest, holy to the Lord; whoever does any work on the sabbath day shall surely be put to death. So the sons of Israel shall observe the sabbath, to celebrate the sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant.’ It is a sign between Me and the sons of Israel forever; for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, but on the seventh day He ceased from labor, and was refreshed” (Exodus 31:12-17 NASB).

“You shall work six days, but on the seventh day you shall rest; even during plowing time and harvest you shall rest” (Exodus 34:21 NASB).

“Then Moses gathered all the congregation of the children of Israel together, and said to them, ‘These are the words which the Lord has commanded you to do:  Work shall be done for six days, but the seventh day shall be a holy day for you, a Sabbath of rest to the Lord. Whoever does any work on it shall be put to death. You shall kindle no fire throughout your dwellings on the Sabbath day’” (Exodus 35:1-3 NKJV).

“For six days work may be done, but on the seventh day there is a sabbath of complete rest, a holy convocation. You shall not do any work; it is a sabbath to the Lord in all your dwellings” (Leviticus 23:3 NASB).

“Observe the sabbath day to keep it holy, as the Lord your God commanded you. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a sabbath of the Lord your God; in it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter or your male servant or your female servant or your ox or your donkey or any of your cattle or your sojourner who stays with you, so that your male servant and your female servant may rest as well as you. You shall remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the Lord your God brought you out of there by a mighty hand and by an outstretched arm; therefore the Lord your God commanded you to observe the sabbath day” (Deuteronomy 5:12-15 NASB).

<<< Since the Lord knew His people would be prone to forget, he often repeated the Sabbath commandment in the Law of Moses. >>>

“Thus says the Lord: For the sake of your lives, take care that you do not bear a burden on the sabbath day or bring it in by the gates of Jerusalem. And do not carry a burden out of your houses on the sabbath or do any work, but keep the sabbath day holy, as I commanded your ancestors” (Jeremiah 17: 21-22 NRSV).

Although the following verses do not command the Israelites to observe the Sabbath they do command them to offer certain sacrifices in order to properly keep the Sabbath. Please note to whom God’s command to offer these sacrifices were directed.

“The Lord said to Moses, ‘Give this command to the Israelites and say to them: Make sure that you present to me at the appointed time my food offerings, as an aroma pleasing to me…On the Sabbath day, make an offering of two lambs a year old without defect, together with its drink offering and a grain offering of two-tenths of an ephah of the finest flour mixed with olive oil. This is the burnt offering for every Sabbath, in addition to the regular burnt offering and its drink offering” (Numbers 28:1, 2, 9, 10 NIV).

<<< After sin, sacrifices were added to all seven days of the week. The Sabbath, being a Holy day, had an offering requirement in addition to the regular added daily offerings. This “law of sacrifices” was a separate and distinct law from the Ten Commandment law written by God in stone at Sinai and was to last until the atoning sacrifice was accomplished. The Sabbath Commandment was never abolished, contrary to what others might say. It, along with the principles of the other nine Commandments of the Decalogue, are being written in the hearts and minds of God’s ratified Abrahamic (New) Covenant keeping people as they walk in obedience to the Holy Spirit. >>>

The Old Testament leaves no doubt that the Sabbath was required of all Israelites. If the Sabbath is now required of Christians why are there no such direct commands found in the New Testament?

<<< The Israelites were under the Law of Moses (grace + ceremonial law) while Christians are under grace only. The moral law in both dispensations is the same and is represented by the Ten Commandments written in stone at Sinai, whose principles are written in the heart and mind of Christians. >>>  

I sometimes am asked an associated question, “What’s wrong with keeping the Sabbath?” Nothing is wrong with keeping the Sabbath if done in the proper spirit of tolerance for the choice of other Christians as Paul made clear in the following passage which enunciates his principle of don’t judge others in non-salvation issues.

<<< The expert’s point is that He believes it is OK to keep any day of the week or no day. He teaches the Ten Commandments as the rule of law ended at the cross right along with the temporary ceremonial law. >>>

“Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand. One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind. Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God” (Romans 14:4-6 NIV).

<<< Modern translations of these verses often include meaning that isn’t found in the original language and the NIV is no exception. The original Hebrew gives no sanction for presenting days as being compared in terms of sacredness or holiness as modern translations incorrectly do. In context Paul was talking about not being judgmental about what and when one eats or doesn’t eat. He summarizes what he has said from verse 1 through verse 16 by concluding, “For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost. (Romans 14:17 KJV) There is no mention of the relative holiness of days. There is nothing that can be interpreted as Paul teaching that the 4th commandment is no longer a righteous requirement of the law. Even with the use of a corrupt modern translation, it is irrelevant that one man might “consider” one day “more sacred” than another. Man’s consideration of a day can do nothing to change the status of the 7th day which was established by God when He blessed and sanctified it when it ended (see Genesis 2:2, 3). “. . . for thou blessest, O LORD, and it shall be blessed for ever. (1 Chronicles 17:27 KJV)>>>

Not one Holy Spirited inspired writer states that the Sabbath will be the test of obedience to God under the New Covenant.  

<<< SDA’s don’t believe that the Old Testament writers were not Holy Spirit inspired. The New Covenant promise of a savior was made in the book of Genesis when Adam and Eve sinned (see Genesis 3:15). The cross did nothing to change the moral law. Jesus went to the cross because the moral law could not be changed to accommodate Adam and Eve’s transgression. His death on the cross did nothing to lessen its claims on redeemed man. Rather, its principles are established in the heart and mind by the Holy Spirit (see Romans 3:31, Hebrews 8:10). >>>

Yes, there are uninspired writers who have stated the necessity of the Sabbath for Christians. Ellen G. White, for example, “I saw that the Holy Sabbath is, and will be, the separating wall between the true Israel of God and unbelievers” (Early Writings, p. 33). I ask you to consider if it is wise to disregard the biblical evidence, as outlined above, and in its place accept contrary statements from uninspired writers?

<<< Does anyone see the irony in the expert’s statement that the Sabbath will not be the test of obedience for God’s people at the end of time while at the same time it is the only commandment of the Ten that the greater part of the Protestant Church is unwilling to embrace?  >>>  

Thank you for sharing your belief.

God Be With You,

Brother Sal  

<<< In Christ’s love,

Frank >>>

Gods Worker wrote at 2014-08-29 12:02:47
Don't be fooled by "brother sal" The real answers are in the bible! not in a mans mouth.

http://www.newtestamentsabbath.com/

Seventh-Day Adventists

Sal