Seventh-Day Adventists/Ten Commandments are not obsolete

Frank wrote at 2013-03-10 04:19:34

3 9 2013 - Ten Commandments are not obsolete

Of course we still know the Ten Commandments. They are still in our Bibles. We know them as nine moral commands and one ceremonial sign. We know them as the covenant document between God and Israel. We know them as the historical document that made Israel a nation.

<<< The Covenant is still between God and Israel. “For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:”

(Hebrews 8:8 KJV). This is not the literal house but a spiritual one. “Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.” (1 Peter 2:5 KJV) We know that God did not write any of the ritual law that ended at the cross on the tables of stone. The book of Hebrews says that was a separate law. “Then verily the first covenant had also ordinances of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary.” (Hebrews 9:1 KJV) That law was given through Moses. The Sabbath was made at the end of the Seventh day and it is the 4th Commandment of the Decalogue that defines it. The day that the expert says is a ceremonial commandment was in fact made before sin and therefore cannot be ceremonial. There may be those who view work as a curse but no one worked six days and rested on the seventh in the Old Testament as a consequence of sin. It was ordered that way from the beginning. “For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.” (Exodus 20:11 KJV) SDA’s believe that it was ordained from creation that man should work six days and rest on the seventh and it will continue to be so for as long as there is a heaven and earth. >>>

I say that the Old Covenant is obsolete because that is what the Bible says.  “In speaking of a new covenant, he makes the first one obsolete. And what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away” (Hebrews 8:13 ESV). What does the Bible say is the first or Old Covenant?

<<< SDA’s believe that the Ten Commandment law, written by God in stone at Sinai, represents the entire transgressed moral law. SDA’s reject any teaching that says the Ten Commandment law is not the same law that Adam and Eve transgressed. SDA’s believe the moral law is not negotiable. SDA’s believe it is unchangeable and eternal, that it represents the character of God and it is his character that God wants to reproduce in us, his created beings. SDA’s believe it is the principles of the Ten Commandment law written in the heart and mind that were to govern unfallen man throughout the ceaseless ages of eternity. Sin interrupted that plan so another plan was devised that would remove the penalty for sin and restore in fallen man a righteous character. The moral law was not given as a means of salvation. Once the moral law was transgressed, all it could do was reveal our sin and our need for a Savior. “And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.”

(Romans 7:10 KJV) In the earth made new, the principles of the moral law will have been written in the heart and mind of all who have believed and will be unreservedly observed throughout eternity. Sin will not arise a second time. “What do ye imagine against the LORD? he will make an utter end: affliction shall not rise up the second time.” (Nahum 1:9 KJV) >>>     

“Then the Lord spoke to you out of the midst of the fire. You heard the sound of words, but saw no form; there was only a voice.  And he declared to you his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, that is, the Ten Commandments, and he wrote them on two tablets of stone” (Deuteronomy 4:12-13 ESV).

<<< Let’s not omit the fact that the Old Covenant also had “ordinances of divine serve, and a worldly sanctuary.”  (Hebrews 9:1 KJV) This is the law that became obsolete. >>>

So the Bible is clear that the Ten Commandments were the Old Covenant and the Old Covenant is obsolete. If your theology cannot accept these clear statements from Scripture then you need to change your theology not the Bible.

<<< One needs to understand that the expert does not recognize the Ten Commandments given at Sinai as the revelation of God’s broken moral law as given to fallen man. He disregards the verse that states the law written on the stones was complete. “These words the LORD spake unto all your assembly in the mount out of the midst of the fire, of the cloud, and of the thick darkness, with a great voice: and he added no more. And he wrote them in two tables of stone, and delivered them unto me.” (Deuteronomy 5:22 KJV) The Ten Commandments are the words of the Covenant. The children of Israel were commanded to perform them. The children of Israel agreed to keep them.  “And Moses came and told the people all the words of the LORD, and all the judgments: and all the people answered with one voice, and said, All the words which the LORD hath said will we do.” (Exodus 24:3 KJV) They did not. “. . . they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.” (Hebrews 8:9 KJV) >>>

What is meant by obsolete is that the Old Covenant, including the Ten Commandments, has lost its power over God’s people. “But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not subject to the law” (Galatians 5:18 NRSV). The Law gives sin its power. “The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law” (1 Corinthians 15:56 NRSV). The Law’s job was to make sin known.  “Moreover the law entered that the offense might abound. But where sin abounded, grace abounded much more” (Romans 5:20 NKJV). The Law increased awareness of sin thereby driving man to Christ.

<<< Before sin there must have been a law or there could have been no sin as sin is transgression of the law (see 1 John 3:4).  We who are being saved are no longer under the condemnation of the law. We have been justified by Christ and no longer sin as we follow after the Holy Spirit. If we do sin in ignorance we have the assurance, “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” (1 John 1:9 KJV) SDA’s believe that the 4th Commandment is still a righteous requirement of the law and sin is still transgression of the law, so they continue to observe it. “For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins” (Hebrews 10:26 KJV) >>>

“But before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed. Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor” (Galatians 3:23-26 NKJV).

<<< The law was to teach God’s Covenant keeping people in the Old Testament that transgression of the moral law results in the death of either the unrepentant sinner, or in the death of the innocent lamb of God that would make possible the forgiveness of confessed sins. When Paul says Christians are no longer under a tutor he means the sacrificial law that revealed the plan of salvation is ended and the principles of the Ten Commandments are now written in the heart and mind of Christians and established by the transforming power of the Holy Spirit. >>>

Again we see clearly that the Law, the Old Covenant, the Ten Commandments, has vanished away as our accuser. This is a good thing because it means that sin loses its power over Christians. “For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace.” (Romans 6:14 NASB)

<<< The principles of the law are established, “Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law” (Romans 3:31 KJV) while the ceremonies have been rendered obsolete, “And the sun was darkened, and the veil of the temple was rent in the midst.” (Luke 23:45 KJV) The rending of the veil between the Holy and Most Holy Places of the earthly sanctuary signified the end of the ceremonial law and that repentant sinners now had access to the father for forgiveness of sins through the shed blood of His son. The condemnation of the law has been removed by Christ and has lost its power, but the principles of the law are established, not done away with or rendered obsolete. (Romans 3:31)>>>

One final note, I do not ignore the Ten Commandments as you contend. I try to obey the nine moral commandments. The ceremonial sign of the Old Covenant, the 7th day Sabbath, the fourth commandment, was never binding on Gentiles or Christians. What you think is ignoring the Ten Commandments in reality is acknowledging their proper place in salvation history a place that many sabbatarians have yet to learn.

<<< One cannot ignore the 4th Commandment without ignoring the other nine. Those who have been honestly deceived will come out of “Babylon” and accept the Sabbath truth. As the expert has said in past answers, the Ten Commandments stand together or they fall together and SDA’s know that they will stand forever and ever. “The works of his hands are verity and judgment; all his commandments are sure. They stand fast for ever and ever, and are done in truth and uprightness.” (Psalms 111:7-8 KJV) >>>   

God Bless You,

Brother Sal

<<< In Christ’s love,

Frank >>>

Seventh-Day Adventists

Sal