Seventh-Day Adventists/The Law

Question
Hello,
I would be very thankfull if you could made me understand the following issue regarding the SDA doctrine. I have always felt drawn to the adventist message in general but I have one particular problem that I cannot resolve in the light of the New Testament grace: Sabbath keeping and the dietary rules. In the New Testament I understand from the writings of the Apostole Paul that the law of the Old Testament is completed by the last commandment that comprises all: love for God and the other. In many passages I read the way in which Paul speaks about how certain Christian communities tried to return to the Law for receiving the Grace. (Galatians) Or like in    1 Corinhians 10:25 or   Romans 14. I understand that Paul says that we should not be concerned with what we eat or what days of the week we keep because this is not required from us anymore. Moreover I read that those that eat only vegetables are weack and that we should not condemn anyone for what he eats or feast celebrate because this is the shadow of the Law which has been fulfilled in Christ. Thank you very much for reading this and I hope that I can understand what is the truth.

Answer
Hi Madeleine,

Thank you for your question!

In Galatians sometimes it is hard to differentiate between the two laws that get mentioned. Paul talks about both the 10 commandment law and also the sacrificial law that was taken away at the cross.  In order for me to really be of any support on Galatians you would have to list some specific examples. The key phrases to look for are those that deal with feast days, sacrifices, new moons etc. All such language is telling us that Paul is talking about the sacrificial law that Moses wrote, not the ten commandments that God wrote.

In 1 Corinthians 10 deals specifically with food that has been offered to idols. It is not really telling us specifically what to eat or what not to eat, but in regards to if the food has been offered to idols or not. If you eat the food in ignorance, then so be it…yet if someone tells you specifically that the food was indeed offered to idols, you should not partake.

Romans 14 deals with judging others about what they eat…not necessarily what we should eat ourselves.  The key to this chapter is that we should not be a stumbling block to those people who have a problem with meat, wine, etc. and as such we should negate the eating and drinking of such things (see Vs. 21).  As for vegetables making us weak…well it would make us weak to only eat vegetables. We need to also eat beans, legumes, and grains which provide the real sustenance and energy burning material for our bodies. :)

If you wish, please do a follow up question with maybe some specific examples from Galatians?

God bless you in your study!

Matt  

Seventh-Day Adventists

Matt