Seventh-Day Adventists/Why Lord of the Sabbath?

Question
Sal—Why would Jesus say he is Lord of the Sabbath if the day was to end as you say repeatedly? What would be the point? In Matthew 12:8 Jesus is saying that all people are meant to keep the Sabbath.  Tina

Answer
Dear Sister Tina:

Thanks for the question. It’s great to hear from you again. You ask a good question. Please keep in mind that Jesus spoke those words at a time when the Old Covenant was still in effect. Also remember that he spoke those words, in context, to Jews who were living under the Old Covenant. The Jews were rightly concerned about how Jews were to observe the Sabbath. They were not asking who was supposed to keep the Sabbath. The dispute with the Pharisees arose not over the question of who was supposed to keep the Sabbath, but rather over how the Sabbath was to be kept and who had the authority to determine how the law was to be applied. To that end Jesus replied that he was the Lord of the Sabbath. It was he that had the sole authority to determine how the Sabbath was to be observed, and that dear sister, was his point.     

God Bless You,
Brother Sal

Seventh-Day Adventists

Sal