Seventh-Day Adventists/Ten Commandments are not obsolete

Question
Dear Sal:

You say that the Ten Commandments are “obsolete”. You use Heb. 8:13 to prove this. It says the obsolete thing has “vanished away” but the Ten Commandments are still with us. We know the Ten Commandments. Therefore they have not “vanished away”. You just choose to ignore them.

God help you,
Carl

Answer
Dear Brother Carl:

Of course we still know the Ten Commandments. They are still in our Bibles. We know them as nine moral commands and one ceremonial sign. We know them as the covenant document between God and Israel. We know them as the historical document that made Israel a nation.

I say that the Old Covenant is obsolete because that is what the Bible says.  “In speaking of a new covenant, he makes the first one obsolete. And what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away” (Hebrews 8:13 ESV). What does the Bible say is the first or Old Covenant?

“Then the Lord spoke to you out of the midst of the fire. You heard the sound of words, but saw no form; there was only a voice.  And he declared to you his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, that is, the Ten Commandments, and he wrote them on two tablets of stone” (Deuteronomy 4:12-13 ESV).

So the Bible is clear that the Ten Commandments were the Old Covenant and the Old Covenant is obsolete. If your theology cannot accept these clear statements from Scripture then you need to change your theology not the Bible.

What is meant by obsolete is that the Old Covenant, including the Ten Commandments, has lost its power over God’s people. “But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not subject to the law” (Galatians 5:18 NRSV). The Law gives sin its power. “The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law” (1 Corinthians 15:56 NRSV). The Law’s job was to make sin known.  “Moreover the law entered that the offense might abound. But where sin abounded, grace abounded much more” (Romans 5:20 NKJV). The Law increased awareness of sin thereby driving man to Christ.

“But before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed. Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor” (Galatians 3:23-26 NKJV).

Again we see clearly that the Law, the Old Covenant, the Ten Commandments, has vanished away as our accuser. This is a good thing because it means that sin loses its power over Christians. “For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace” (Romans 6:14 NASB).  

One final note, I do not ignore the Ten Commandments as you contend. I try to obey the nine moral commandments. The ceremonial sign of the Old Covenant, the 7th day Sabbath, the fourth commandment, was never binding on Gentiles or Christians. What you think is ignoring the Ten Commandments in reality is acknowledging their proper place in salvation history a place that many sabbatarians have yet to learn.  

God Bless You,
Brother Sal

Seventh-Day Adventists

Sal