Seventh-Day Adventists/Jesus and the Sabbath

Just keep these question to the point:

Did Jesus keep the Sabbath because he was a Jew or because he was Lord of the Sabbath?

Hi Seru,

In accordance to Luke 4:16, It was His "custom" to attend the synagogue on the Sabbath. Some think that when the Bible states His "custom" it refers to His "Jewish Tradition" yet...the Greek simply means, "what He was used to" (Strongs 1486). The scripture leads us to believe that Jesus was indeed of Jewish decent and identified with the Jewish people. It is my interpretation of the verse that in Luke 4:16, He honored the Sabbath out of His personal custom rather than tradition. I guess my point is that He followed it becuase He wanted to, not because He was commanded to by the Torah.

He also followed the Sabbath because He created it. Colossians 1:16 - Jesus is our creator, He is the very One who rested on the seventh day thus creating a memorial and an example for us.

Part of His ministry here on earth was to explain to us what the Sabbath was really about, and how it is to actually be followed. He needed to put back the correct meaning, and rebuke the Rabbi's for making the Sabbath a burden for everyone with all their added "rules and regulations".

God bless you in your studies.

Seventh-Day Adventists

I can answer any questions about SDA theology.

I have studied deeply the doctines of the Seventh-Day Adventist faith, testing each one against the Bible. I wish to share these truths with others, that all may be brought into the fullness of light that God has given to His church. Over the past 8 years of my life I have proven over and over again that the Seventh-Day Adventist truth, remains Gods truth.

Amazing Facts, Amazing Discoveries, LLT Productions.

None that apply directly to theology.