Seventh-Day Adventists/SDA & Judaism

Question
Kevin,
Thank you for taking my question. I see a lot of similarities between our two faiths yet also understand there is a great deal of animosity present. Would you kindly discuss the similarities, differences and why the animosity exists? Also, does SDA believe in replacement theology? Thanks in advance.

Answer
Ovadiah,

Thank you for contacting me through AllExperts. Unfortunately, I do not know what your faith is to be able to discuss similarities, differences, and animosities. Are you, by chance, a messianic Jew? With regard to "replacement theology," I can answer better. Seventh-day Adventists recognize that branches are broken off of the olive tree, while others are grafted in. That is the Biblical replacement that we recognize (Romans 11). We also recognize that the New Testament requirements of Gentiles was not equal to that of the Jews. (Acts 15 outlines ordinances that were considered binding on "strangers" in Leviticus 17-19.) Yet, there is some difference among Adventists on this matter. Some attempt to celebrate feasts, as much as one can celebrate them with all the differences from the original Biblical requirements. Others do not. Seventh-day Adventists recognize God's definition of unclean meats and avoid them because of the distinction of animals before the Sinaitic covenant (Gen. 7:2, 8; 8:20). Like the "minim" of the first and second centuries, we consider the Ten Words of the covenant (Exo. 34:28; Deut. 4:13) binding upon the believer and that which God writes upon the heart in the New Covenant (Jer. 31:33, 34; Heb. 8:10-12; 10:16, 17). For those who love God, such commandments are not burdensome (1 John 5:3).

Seventh-Day Adventists

Kevin L. Morgan