Seventh-Day Adventists/SDA and the Sabbath

Dear Sal

To preface my question,  I was raised and educated to the doctorate level in the
SDA religion.  I am now retired and have been a member of the Lutheran church
For many years.  I agree that the SDA religion does not place the simple belief of
Love to your fellow man and by the grace of Christ we are saved  to be the major

That being said my question about the Sabbath is what do you think God meant
When he blessed and sanctified the seventh day  of creation?  I understand that
The creation account described may only have symbolic meaning in light of
Current scientific knowledge.

Thank you

Dear Brother Ralph:

Thank you for the interesting question. All Bible quotations in this answer will be from the New American Standard Bible (NASB).

"Thus the heavens and the earth were completed, and all their hosts. By the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made" (Genesis 2:1-3).

I believe that God meant to convey to us His great joy and satisfaction at His completed Creation. He pronounced His Creation "very good" (Genesis 1:31). The 7th day was the first day of complete harmony between Himself and man. So God blessed and sanctified the day setting it apart from the first six days of creative work. The 7th day was special. It was the apex of Creation just as the first day of the week is the apex of the second Creation or salvation history.

Once sin entered the world that harmony was gone. The "rest" of Creation was lost to the world. Then God went back to "work" in order to bring perfection back to His Creation.  Jesus announced to the Pharisees that God has been "working" since the Fall. "For this reason the Jews were persecuting Jesus, because He was doing these things on the Sabbath. But He answered them, 'My Father is working until now, and I Myself am working'” (John 5:16-17). The same rest that Adam & Eve enjoyed, however briefly, in the Garden is ours for all eternity if we accept the finished work of Christ. For God has made Jesus our holy & sanctified rest.

“Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light” (Matthew 11:28-30).

Only those who put complete faith in Jesus enter the Eden rest of God.

"Therefore, let us fear if, while a promise remains of entering His rest, any one of you may seem to have come short of it. For indeed we have had good news preached to us, just as they also; but the word they heard did not profit them, because it was not united by faith in those who heard. For we who have believed enter that rest..." (Hebrews 4:1-3).

We experience this rest partially now and fully in the world to come.

I pray that this answer was helpful to you. Let me know if I can be of further help.

Brother Sal

Seventh-Day Adventists

I am privileged to be able to offer an alternative insight into the complicated world of Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) theology. I will rely heavily on the Bible, but will also consider history and use logic in exposing deficiencies in SDA teachings. I would ask anyone who is considering becoming a SDA or if you are already in the SDA church, but are searching for the truth, to please allow me to offer a different explanation for the claims of the SDA. Remember : "The truth will set you free" (John 8:32). I can answer your questions pertaining to the beliefs and history of the SDA. I am not able to answer questions concerning spirituality or church discipline.

I have extensively studied the theology of the Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) for a number of years. I have many books and tape sets produced by experts in this field of study. I have debated current members of the SDA church. I have a great desire to help these people see the truth.

M.S. degree in Food, Nutrition, and Dietetics