Seventh-Day Adventists/The Bible and prophecy

Question
Patricia,
I was just wondering why you are willing to discuss SDA doctrine to help people realize they are in the wrong church but won't discuss prophecy? Prophecy is such a big part of Adventism. All their doctrines really center around prophecy - it's all tied in. Is the Adventists understanding of the 2300 day prophecy false? If so I would like to know why.  

God Bless,
Paul

Answer
Dear Paul,

Thank you so much for your valid comments and questions. They are well received.

Even though I said I would not deal with prophecy, I haven't been able to avoid it because as you pointed out, one really can't get around it since the SDA church is prophecy based. At the time, I was quite new to doing anything of this nature and I did not want to deal with all the symbolism, etc. in Daniel and Revelation since there seems to be several interpretations. However, I have answered several questions regarding the cleansing of the sanctuary and the so-called Investigative Judgment, which SDAs consider to be prophetic and is the central pillar of their church. This prophecy is based on Daniel 8:14...

Daniel 8:14 (KJV)
14  And he said unto me, Unto two thousand and three hundred days; then shall the sanctuary be cleansed.

Taken from Cultic Doctrine of Seventh-day Adventism by Dale Ratzlaff, the doctrine of the cleansing of the heavenly sanctuary and the investigative judgment is linked to the following:

1. The SDA Sabbath message
2. The "three angels" messages.
3. The "seal of God" and the "mark of the beast."
4. The SDA concept of remnant.
5. The SDA health reform message.
6. The imminent second coming of Christ.
7. The evangelistic mission of the SDA church.
8. The glue that links all these SDA messages together is the prophetic ministry and visions of Ellen White .

I believe the Adventists understanding of the 2300 day prophecy is false. To try to reconstruct how they came up with their teaching is complex, convoluted and most confusing. To put it simply, their prediction of what was to happen in the future had already taken place.

Contrary to what SDAs believe, the cleansing of the sanctuary had nothing to do with the heavenly sanctuary. According to the Bible, it had everything to do with the earthly sanctuary. They are attempting to replicate in the heavenly sanctuary a lot of what happened in the earthly and especially on the Day of Atonement. According to Scripture, the atonement was completed on the cross and when Jesus ascended to heaven, He sat down next to His Father. Also, when the Levitical priests performed their duties, they always stood because their work was never finished. It's significant that Jesus did not come from the tribe of Levi and it's also significant that Jesus sat down.

The Bible speaks of the 2300 days as 2300 mornings and evenings but the SDAs teach that they represent 2300 years. SDAs teach that the sanctuary involved is the heavenly sanctuary when Scripture clearly shows it to be the literal Jewish sanctuary that was desecrated by Antiochus when he offered a pig on an altar in the sanctuary and erected an image to Zeus. He was also the reason temple worship ceased for a while.

Most scholars are of the opinion that the little horn represented Antiochus Epiphanes IV because Daniel states that the power came from one of the divisions of Alexander's empire. However, the SDAs teach that the little horn refers to Rome, with no Bible support.

William Miller prophesied that Jesus would return in 1844, which according to SDA teaching was the end of the 2300 days that they translated into years. When Jesus didn't return, they said that Jesus intentionally covered some pertinent information with His hand in order to test them. Later they reinterpreted Miller's prophecy by teaching that instead of Jesus coming to earth, He moved from the Holy Place to the Most Holy Place to begin the work of judgment.

This, in essence, means that Jesus' work on the cross was incomplete even though Jesus said, "It is finished."

After Miller reinterpreted his prediction, as usual, Ellen White had a vision to confirm it.

The cleansing of the sanctuary and investigative judgment doctrine is unique to the SDA church. No other church teaches or preaches it. The interesting fact is that they cannot prove it from the Bible because it was given to them from Ellen White, who says it was confirmed to her in vision.

What I found mind-blowing was that a super-secret committee was formed called the "Committee on Problems in the Book of Daniel." It was formed under the leadership of the then President of the General Conference, R. R. Figuhr. The name of the committee tells us that they knew there were problems with their interpretation of Daniel.

According to Dale Ratzlaff, in Cultic Doctrines of Seventh-day Adventism , the committee's assignment was to find a way to honestly support the SDA doctrine of the cleansing of the heavenly sanctuary and the investigative judgment from the Bible. This committee met between 1961 and 1966. During this time, not only did the committee members work on the problem but others were asked to submit papers as well.

To make a long story short, the best minds of Adventism could not find biblical proof to support the sanctuary and investigative judgment doctrine.  After five years of working on the problem, they adjourned without issuing a report.

A great site that goes into detail about how the SDA church was founded based on what they considered prophecy (Daniel 8:14) is located at:

http://www.tithing-russkelly.com/sda/id17.html

Traditional Adventists also consider the SDA church as the remnant church and that they are a special people with a special message for these last days -- thus the preaching of the Three Angels' Message, which they consider the everlasting gospel. A call for judgment is not the everlasting gospel. The gospel is the good news about what Christ became and did for us.

My comments are short in comparison to what they could be because this subject is quite involved. If you have a specific question or questions, I will do my best to answer. Bottom line, all of William Miller's and Ellen White's predictions and teachings come from a lack of understanding the Old and New Covenants. They talk about Christ but they lift up the law.

Again, I really appreciate your comments, they were an eye-opener and I will delete the portion from my profile about not answering questions pertaining to prophecy since there is honestly no way around it. ;-)

Be blessed.

Seventh-Day Adventists

Patricia Allen