Seventh-Day Adventists/End Times

Do you have any thoughts as to where in earths history you believe we find ourselves?  Any ideas of mark of the beast(where whether that has already happened as Preterists believe), I am quite sure EGWhite is mistaken about her take on end times.  Its confusing because I see many things happening but a great amny things have been happening for quite a while now.  Seems like each generation can make a good case for living in the last generation.  Do you think the Book of Revelation is fulfilled in the past or has been fulfilled in the past with a larger fulfillment in the future?
I ask because unless this test of receiving the mark of the beast has already happened, we still need to be very aware of it so as to not be deceived.

Dear Brother Charles:

I do not concern myself with how close we are to the return of Christ. “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father” (Matthew 24:36 NIV). We are closer to the end with each day. We have been in the last days since the first century. “God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds” (Hebrews 1:1,2 NKJV).

I believe that the Book of Revelation has been fulfilled in the past and will be fulfilled yet again in the future. Ellen White was correct that the Mark of the Beast has to do with worship, however, because she was so fixated on a day she missed the obvious. The Mark of the Beast is received when one worships anything besides the one true God. In other words, the book of Revelation warns Christians to avoid worshipping false gods. John was unconcerned with the day of worship. In John’s day Christians were under great pressure to worship the emperors. Therefore, the book of Revelation is very concerned with who one worships and not at all concerned with when one worships. The New Testament teaches that our eternal destiny hangs on the choice we make concerning who we choose to worship not what day we choose. The book of Revelation is no exception to this. John wrote to his fellow Christians imploring them to only the true God. John, like the rest of the New Testament writers, never mentioned that a particular day had any bearing on one’s salvation. In John’s day it was popular for Romans to be tattooed with a name or symbol of whom they belonged to. For example, soldiers would receive the mark on their hand of the name of their General. Slaves were marked with the name of their master. Some Romans would receive the mark (the name or symbol representation) of a god to whom they were particularly devoted. So John warned Christians of his day that if they worshiped the Roman emperor, the beast, they would receive his mark and belong to him. All those so marked, John warned, would be eternally damned. “Then another angel, a third one, followed them, saying with a loud voice, ‘If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives a mark on his forehead or on his hand, he also will drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is mixed in full strength in the cup of His anger; and he will be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb’” (Revelation 14:9-10 NASB).

So we, like Christians in all ages, must be careful not to receive the mark of the beast by worshiping someone or something other then the Blessed Trinity.

Thanks for the questions.

Brother Sal

Seventh-Day Adventists

I am privileged to be able to offer an alternative insight into the complicated world of Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) theology. I will rely heavily on the Bible, but will also consider history and use logic in exposing deficiencies in SDA teachings. I would ask anyone who is considering becoming a SDA or if you are already in the SDA church, but are searching for the truth, to please allow me to offer a different explanation for the claims of the SDA. Remember : "The truth will set you free" (John 8:32). I can answer your questions pertaining to the beliefs and history of the SDA. I am not able to answer questions concerning spirituality or church discipline.

I have extensively studied the theology of the Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) for a number of years. I have many books and tape sets produced by experts in this field of study. I have debated current members of the SDA church. I have a great desire to help these people see the truth.

M.S. degree in Food, Nutrition, and Dietetics