Seventh-Day Adventists/God's Laws Written Upon Our Heart

Frank wrote at 2013-05-22 15:41:06
5 5 2013 - God's Laws Written Upon Our Heart - Follow up

Essentially, yes. But remember that the Old Covenant is an inferior covenant compared to the new Covenant.

<<< The Old Covenant is inferior because it was not given as a means of salvation. There is nothing inferior about the Covenant law.  It is “holy, and just, and good” (Romans 7:12 KJV). >>>

In the New Covenant, “a better covenant”, Jesus reveals a new higher standard of conduct for his people. “For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 5:20 NASB).  

<<< The righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees was not the standard. The standard of righteousness did not change in the New Covenant.  It is given to fallen man in the form of Ten Commandments and revealed in the law given at Sinai. >>>

Then he gives concrete examples of the superiority of the New Covenant morality (see Matthew 5:21-48).

<<< The definition of sin is the same whether it is sin in thought or sin in deed. The antediluvian world was destroyed because, "the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually" (Genesis 6:5 KJV). The law given at Sinai was not given as a means of salvation. The Old Covenant ritual law (Law of Moses) taught the people about the promised Messiah. When the moral law was transgressed a ritual sacrifice that represented the Messiah was required. The moral law itself did not change nor could it. It is truth and is as unchanging as the creator Himself. “Thy righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, and thy law is the truth.” (Psalms 119:142 KJV) “The law of truth was in his mouth, and iniquity was not found in his lips: he walked with me in peace and equity, and did turn many away from iniquity.” (Malachi 2:6 KJV) >>>

Paul calls this New Way the Law of Christ (see 1 Corinthians 9:21; Galatians 6:2).

<<<The law of Christ is that we love one another. There is no law against having love for one another. As has already been explained, love is the fulfillment of the law, not its end. >>>

The great commandment of the New Law is to love as Jesus loves. “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another” (John 13:34-35 NIV; see also 15:9-17).

<<< Jesus is the means of salvation (under both Covenants).

“. . . if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.” (Matthew 19:17 KJV)

“If ye love me, keep my commandments.” (John 14:15 KJV)

“If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.” (John 15:10 KJV)

“By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.” (1 John 5:2-3 KJV)

Jesus is the means of salvation and He came to show us and to tell us how to keep the commandments and why. Every transgression of the commandments he gave the disciples is defined by the Ten Commandment law. Obedience to the commandments to love God and to love one another results in perfect conformity to the moral precepts given at Sinai. When Jesus gave His new commandment it did nothing to change the moral law. >>>

The righteousness of God’s people is no longer determined by conformity to Old Covenant rules, regulations, and sacrifices, but by conformity to the teachings of Jesus.

<<< If the righteousness of God’s people under the Old Covenant was according to how well they kept their traditional and ritual law, the Pharisees would have been be first in rank for a position in God’s kingdom. >>>

I pray that this was of help to you,

Brother Sal

<<< In Christ’s love,

Frank >>>

Narrow Way Media wrote at 2013-09-27 14:05:07
Thanks, Brother Frank.  That makes perfect sense.  The Old Covenant failed because of the promises of the people.  There was no fault with the law, and that is apparent because in the New Covenant that law is written in our hearts!  If the fault were in the law, why God a faulty law be written in our hearts?  No, but rather the fault is in our promise to keep that law.  The New Covenant is GOD'S promise to write that law in our hearts.  In this manner, we become free from the law of sin and death, and our sin and iniquities are remembered no more.  We are cleansed by the blood of the Lamb and made holy and righteousness by the Spirit of Jesus Christ.  He, the living law, is lived out within our lives.  Is Christ the minister of sin?  God forbid!  Then will I break His law?  Absolutely not.  I will have no other God's before Him; I will not speak His name in vain; I will remember the seventh-day Sabbath to keep in holy, not doing any work on that day; I will not kill, steal, or commit adultery.  Not because <I> say I will not, but because Jesus says, "Thou shalt not..."  Praise His name!

"But now hath [Jesus] obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also He is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.  For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.  For finding fault with them, He saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah: not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in My covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.  For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put My laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts:and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to Me a people: and they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord:for all shall know Me, from the least to the greatest.  For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more." (Hebrews 8:6-12)

Seventh-Day Adventists

I am privileged to be able to offer an alternative insight into the complicated world of Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) theology. I will rely heavily on the Bible, but will also consider history and use logic in exposing deficiencies in SDA teachings. I would ask anyone who is considering becoming a SDA or if you are already in the SDA church, but are searching for the truth, to please allow me to offer a different explanation for the claims of the SDA. Remember : "The truth will set you free" (John 8:32). I can answer your questions pertaining to the beliefs and history of the SDA. I am not able to answer questions concerning spirituality or church discipline.

I have extensively studied the theology of the Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) for a number of years. I have many books and tape sets produced by experts in this field of study. I have debated current members of the SDA church. I have a great desire to help these people see the truth.

M.S. degree in Food, Nutrition, and Dietetics