Seventh-Day Adventists/IJ

Frank wrote at 2013-05-29 04:32:47

5 26 2013 - IJ  

<<<The expert’s answer: >>>

The Investigative Judgment is a doctrine that is unique to Seventh-day Adventists (SDA). This should serve as a clue that this is a false doctrine. Since the full gospel was handed on to the faithful in the first century (see Jude 3), and no Christian ever heard of this doctrine until 1844 it must be a false doctrine as per Paul.

“…Some who wish to alter the gospel of Christ must have confused you. For even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel not in accord with the one we delivered to you, let a curse be upon him! I repeat what I have just said: if anyone preaches a gospel to you other than the one you received, let a curse be upon him!” (Galatians 1:7-9).

<<< The investigative judgment does not alter the gospel. The yearly round of the Hebrew sanctuary services illustrates the entire plan of salvation including the Day of Atonement. Anyone with unconfessed sin at that time was cut off from the camp of Israel. And so it will be at the end of the age. >>>

In brief, Investigative Judgment is the belief that on October 22, 1844, Jesus left the Holy Place in the Heavenly Temple and for the first time entered the Most Holy Place coming into the presence of God the Father there Jesus began the final phase of his Atonement which he had begun on the Cross. Now he began investigating the lives of each individual Christian beginning with the dead. The object of Investigative Judgment is for Jesus to determine who belongs to him and who does not, who is saved and who is lost.

<<< The judgment is for professed believers. If we have any cherished sin that we have refused to give up He cannot save us. We are made out to be liars and the truth is not in us (I John 1:8). The unrepentant are self-condemned as they have refused to avail themselves of the forgiveness made available through the merits of Christ’s atoning sacrifice. They are judged at a later time. >>>

The keeping of the Ten Commandments, particularly the Sabbath command, is emphasized by the SDA for obvious reasons. After the Investigative Judgment is complete, Jesus will return to the earth.

<<< Does God investigate before executing judgment?

Genesis 6:5 “And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.”

Genesis 11:5 “And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded.”

Genesis 18:20 “And the LORD said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous;”

Genesis 18:21  “I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know.”

“This is the interpretation of the thing: MENE; God hath numbered thy kingdom, and finished it. TEKEL; Thou art weighed in the balances, and art found wanting. PERES; Thy kingdom is divided, and given to the Medes and Persians.” (Daniel 5:26-28 KJV).

“And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment: And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless. Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”

(Matthew 22:11-13 KJV) >>>

A closely associated doctrine is the Shut Door. When Jesus entered the Most Holy Place he shut the door of mercy. According to Ellen G. White (EGW), prophetess of the SDA Church, this occurred on October 22, 1844. Since the door of mercy was shut no one could be saved after that date. One was either a saved SDA or lost.

<<< The events surrounding the expected return of Christ cannot be easily summed up with any accuracy. Use this link for more information. http://www.whiteestate.org/books/mol/Chapt44.html

The truth is the critics use the “shut door doctrine” to discredit the Spirit of Prophecy and turn the attention away from the true message of the anti-typical Day of Atonement. “And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.” (Matthew 25:10 KJV) When Michael stands up the door of probation closes and the seven last plagues fall (Rev 16:17). It will then be too late for those who ignored the message, “And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.” (Revelation 18:4 KJV) >>>

EGW predicted that Jesus would return shortly after October 22, 1844.

<<< Apart from her belief, along with the Millerites, that Christ would come on Oct. 22, 1844, Mrs. White never set a date for the second coming. >>>

When this failed to happen and people appeared to be saved, the SDA Church had a problem. How could EGW's Shut Door theory be true if people were still being saved? Further when EGW stated in 1850 that Jesus would return in a few months (see Early Writings, pp. 58, 67) this only increased the problem.

<<< EGW – Neither James White or Ellen White believed in Joseph Bates theory which he published in 1850.

http://www.whiteestate.org/book/egw/EGWHCc16.html#c16 >>>

It was believed that the Investigative Judgment would end on October 22, 1851. When this date passed without incident, James White, EGW's husband, took matters into his own hands. He published his wife's visions, but with an important omission. He deleted all references to the Shut Door from her writings. When some fellow SDAs confronted him on the omissions, he promised to publish EGW's complete visions. This was a promise that he never kept.

<<< It’s too bad the expert doesn’t see fit to include references for his outlandish claims.  

It is charged that Mrs. White's motive in deletions was specifically to hide a discarded belief in the shut-door and the seven-year theory, and that the change of belief came in the summer of 1851. However, The Review and Herald continued to present the shut-door theory beyond the summer of 1851. Also, when James and Ellen White brought out ‘Experience and Views’ in 1851, they left in statements that appear to teach the shut door as definitely as any of the deleted passages. >>>

The Biblical evidence against the Shut Door/Investigative Judgment doctrine is massive.

“Like a sure and firm anchor, that hope extends beyond the veil through which Jesus, our forerunner, has entered on our behalf, being made high priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek” (Hebrews 6:19-20).

Jesus had entered through the veil in the first century not the 19th as the SDA falsely claim. What does it mean that Jesus went through the veil?

“Hang the veil from the clasps. The ark of the commandments you shall bring inside, BEHIND THIS VEIL which divides the Holy Place from the Holy of Holies (the Most Holy Place). Set the propitiatory on the ark of the commandments in the Holy of Holies” (Exodus 26:33-34).

“…the Lord spoke to Moses and said to him, ‘Tell your brother Aaron that he is not to come whenever he pleases into the sanctuary, INSIDE THE VEIL, in front of the propitiatory on the ark…' “(Leviticus 16:1-2).

“…he shall take a censer full of glowing embers from the altar before the Lord, as well as a double handful of finely ground fragrant incense, and bringing them INSIDE THE VEIL, there before the Lord he shall put incense on the fire, so that a cloud of incense may cover the propitiatory over the commandments; else he will die” (Leviticus 16:12-13).

“Then he shall slaughter the people's sin-offering goat, and bringing its blood INSIDE THE VEIL…sprinkling it on the propitiatory and before it” (Leviticus 16:15).

These passages make it clear that for Jesus to go through the veil means for him to enter the Most Holy Place and to be in the presence of the Father.

<<< The High Priest only went into the Most Holy Place, “within the veil” once a year on the Day of Atonement. The two verses from Leviticus 16 are instructions for the Day of Atonement. The rest of the year the High Priest ministered in the Holy Place which was also behind a veil. “Therefore thou and thy sons with thee shall keep your priest's office for everything of the altar, and within the vail; and ye shall serve: I have given your priest's office unto you as a service of gift: and the stranger that cometh nigh shall be put to death.” (Numbers 18:7 KJV) The altar of sacrifice is in the courtyard and within the vail is the Holy Place (sometimes called the Tabernacle of the Congregation). Only Aaron (High Priest) is allowed in the Most Holy Place so for the sons to minister within the vail it must be in the Holy Place. >>>

Although there was a veil at the entrance into the Holy Place also, this is obviously not what is meant. Jesus only entering the Holy Place would not at all fit with Paul's motif of portraying Jesus as “superior to”. In this instance Paul is showing Jesus to be superior to the Old Covenant priesthood. He is “made a priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek”. In view of the fact that the Aaronite priests could enter “through the veil” into the Most Holy Place (see Leviticus 16:1-34), Paul must mean that Jesus has done likewise or his priesthood would be inferior to theirs.

<<< Only the High Priest was allowed to enter the Most Holy Place and then only on the Day of Atonement. The High Priest typified Christ. The rest of the year the High Priest could only minister in the Holy Place of the tabernacle. It is because of the expert’s misinterpretation of the role of Levitical Priesthood that he makes these errors. No one man could fulfill the role of High Priest in the earthly tabernacle because its services continued around the clock. So there were many priests but they all typified Christ as High Priest.

The expert begins the presentation of his evidence on the meaning of “within the veil” by quoting the apostle Paul from Hebrews 6:19, 20 in which he uses the phrase “within the veil”. He then quotes several Old Testament passages that use the same or similar phraseology. All the Old Testament passages he uses clearly refer to the veil between the Holy and Most Holy Places of the Hebrew sanctuary.  This begs the question. Is Paul’s use of the phrase “within the veil” consistent with the usage of the phrase by the Old Testament writers that the expert highlighted? Consider how Paul describes the sanctuary in contrast with these Old Testament writers. “For there was a tabernacle made; the first, wherein was the candlestick, and the table, and the shewbread; which is called the sanctuary. And after the second veil, the tabernacle which is called the Holiest of all”  Hebrews 9:2-3 KJV) Note that Paul identifies the veil between the Holy and Most Holy Places of the sanctuary as the ‘second’ veil. That leads us to the conclusion that when Paul wrote “which entereth within the veil” further along in the book of Hebrews, he was referring to the veil between the courtyard and the Holy Place. This is consistent with the usage of the phrase “within the vail” in Numbers 18:7. The expert’s disclaimer that Paul wasn’t speaking of the first veil in verse 19 has no foundation. >>>

Jesus is said to have gone to God's right hand in the first century, not in 1844! “…when he had cleansed us from our sins, he took his seat at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven” (Hebrews 1:3).

“The main point in what we are saying is this: we have such a high priest, who has taken his seat at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in heaven…” (Hebrews 8:1).

“But Jesus offered one sacrifice for sins and took his seat forever at the right hand of God…” (Hebrews 10:12).

“…Christ is seated at God’s right hand” (Colossians 3:1).

“Who shall condemn them? Christ Jesus, who died or rather was raised up, who is at the right hand of God and who intercedes for us?” (Romans 8:34).

“He has taken his seat at the right of the throne of God” (Hebrews 12:2).

“Exalted at God’s right hand, he first received the promised Holy Spirit from the Father, then poured this Spirit out on us” (Acts 2:33).

“He whom God has exalted at his right hand …” (Acts 5:31).

“My little ones, I am writing this to keep you from sin. But if anyone should sin, we have, in the presence of the Father, Jesus Christ, an intercessor who is just” (1 John 2:1).  

God invited Jesus to “Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies your footstool” (Hebrews 1:13).

“I will give the victor the right to sit with me on my throne, as I myself won the victory and took my seat beside my Father on his throne” (Revelation 3:21).

Where is the throne of God located?

“After the death of Aaron's two sons, who died when they approached the Lord's presence, the Lord spoke to Moses and said to him, ‘Tell your brother Aaron that he is not to come whenever he pleases into the sanctuary, INSIDE THE VEIL, in front of the propitiatory on the ark; otherwise, when I reveal Myself in a cloud above the propitiatory, he will die” (Leviticus 16:1-2; see also Numbers 7:89; 1 Samuel 4:4; 2 Kings 19:15).

God's throne is always in the Most Holy Place (the Holy of Holies). This is where Jesus went after his Ascension. In order to be at God's right hand one must be in the Most Holy Place and not in the Holy Place, for neither God nor His throne is located there.

There is much evidence proving that Jesus, immediately after his Ascension, went into the presence of God the Father.

“So then the Lord Jesus, after he spoke to them, was taken up to heaven and took his seat at the right hand of God” (Mark 16:19).

“Stephen meanwhile, filled with the Holy Spirit, looked to the sky above and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at God's right hand” (Acts 7:55).

“It is like the strength He showed in raising Christ from the dead and seating him at His right hand in heaven…” (Ephesians 1:20).

“Since you have been raised up in company with Christ, set your heart on what pertains to higher realms where Christ is seated at God's right hand” (Colossians 3:1).

“For Christ did not enter into a sanctuary made by hands, a mere copy of the true one; he entered heaven itself that he might appear before God now on our behalf” (Hebrews 9:24).

“He went to heaven and is at God's right hand, with angelic rulers and powers subjected to him” (1 Peter 3:22).

For further evidence see Hebrews 1:3, 8:1, 10:12, 12:2.

<<< Does the fact that scripture states Christ took His seat at the right hand of the father mean He couldn’t have served as mediator  in the Holy Place at His ascension and until 1844? Perhaps the critic is being too literal in his understanding of what it means to be seated at the Father’s right hand. “Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.” (Psalms 16:11 KJV) At thy right hand means walking in obedience to the will of the Father. That would include, in the case of the risen Savior, serving in the Holy Place of the heavenly sanctuary as mediator and then during the anti-typical Day of Atonement performing the work of the cleansing of the sanctuary beginning in 1844.

Before He came to earth as a man Jesus occupied His rightful place at the right hand of the Father. Even though he was at the Father’s right hand, He often spoke with man on earth as mediator, as the ‘Angel of the Lord’ or as ‘Michael the prince’. Paul tells us in Romans that while Christ is risen and is at God’s right hand he is also functioning as mediator. “Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.” (Romans 8:34 KJV) Furthermore, while in exile on the island of Patmos the Apostle John writes in the Book of Revelation about the things he saw in vision in the Holy Place of the heavenly sanctuary. “And I turned to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks; And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle.” (Revelation 1:12-13 KJV) Jesus tells John, “. . . the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches.” (Revelation 1:20 KJV) The seven churches represent seven time periods in the history of the Christian Church and the 7th, the current and final one, is called “Laodicea” which means ‘a judging of the people’ or more simply ‘people judged’. The prior church ‘Philadelphia’ was the church of the protestant reformation. That church has formed an image to the beast in their acceptance and promotion of the Papal Sabbath (Rev 13:14, 15) even though they deny it’s the Papal Sabbath. They call it “The Lord’s Day”. The time period of the current church (Laodicea) begins with the start of the anti-typical Day of Atonement which is Oct. 22, 1844. >>>

Investigative Judgment requires that judgment began in 1844 and will continue until Christ's return. Yet Paul is clear that judgment will occur at Christ's return. “In the presence of God and Christ Jesus, who is coming to judge the living and the dead…" (2 Timothy 4:1).

<<< One has to wonder if the expert didn’t include the entire verse because it would invalidate his conclusion. Here is the entire text. “I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;” (2 Timothy 4:1 KJV) There are two phases in the judgment, the investigative phase and the executive phase. The first phase is to determine who is saved and who is lost so God can gather His people at the second coming to be with Him (Mat 25,: 32, 33). That is the judgment at His appearing. The judgment at His kingdom is the Great White Throne judgment at the end of the thousand years. (Rev. 20:11-15) All the wicked who have ever lived are raised to receive their sentence and are then destroyed in the fire prepared for the devil and his angels. (Mat 25:41)>>>

Further the object of Investigative Judgment is for Christ to determine who is his and who is the Devil's, in other words who is saved and who is lost. The Bible, however, gives a very different understanding then the SDA Church has taught. Jesus did not wait until 1844 in order to determine if his Apostles would be with him in the next world.

“Then it was Peter's turn to say to him: ‘Here we have put everything aside to follow you. What can we expect from it?' Jesus said to them: ‘I give you my solemn word, in the new age when the Son of Man takes his seat upon a throne befitting his glory, you who have followed me shall likewise take your places on twelve thrones to judge the twelve tribes of Israel' “ (Matthew 19:27-28).

Does Jesus need to “investigate” in order to know who his sheep are? “I am the good shepherd. I know my sheep and my sheep know me” (John 10:14). “But the foundation God has laid stands firm. It bears the inscription: ‘The Lord knows those who are his'…”(2 Timothy 2:19). John obviously did not believe that Jesus needed to investigate people. “For Jesus knew from the first who those were that did not believe, and who it was that should betray him” (John 6:64).

<<< Jesus’ foreknowledge of events does not invalidate the natural order of those events and that includes an investigation before passing judgment. Several examples of God investigating before executing judgments have already been presented in this response. The Lord knows who are His because He has perfect foreknowledge. We are shown those events through the prophets and they must be interpreted in the light of their natural order. >>>

Paul does not seem to know anything like the SDA dogma of Investigative Judgment. “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. From now on a merited crown awaits me; on the Day of the Lord, just judge that he is, will award it to me-and not only to me, but to all who have looked for his appearing with eager longing” (2 Timothy 4:7-8). John, likewise, does not know of such a judgment. In fact John sees no need for any judgment to begin in 1844. “He who believes in him is not judged: he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God” (John 3:18).

<<< Why does the expert say John sees no need for a judgment? The dispute is over our interpretation of the first half of John 3:18. John writes, “He who believes in him is not judged”. The investigative judgment doctrine tells us the same thing. Believers do not enter in judgment. However, There must be an investigation to determine from among those who have professed faith in Christ for victory over sin, those who have allowed Christ to give them victory over sin through obedience to the Holy Spirit. “This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.” (Gal 5:16)) and those who have not, “He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.” (1 John 2:4 KJV) The Decalogue is the standard of righteousness in the judgment.

The doctrine of the investigative judgment is ‘present truth’. John the Baptist gave present truth for those living at the time of Christ. “In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea, And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.” (Matthew 3:1-3 KJV)

As John the Baptist proclaimed Christ’s first advent so the Seventh-day Adventist Church is raised up to proclaim His second. >>>

Investigative Judgment teaches that the Atonement of Christ is being completed in heaven. Again, Paul knows nothing of this belief.

“For if, when we were God's enemies, we were reconciled to him by the death of His Son, it is all the more certain that we who have been reconciled will be saved by his life. Not only that; we go so far as to make God our boast through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation” (Romans 5:10-11).

Being reconciled to God is the same thing as saying being made right with God. Atonement is being made right with God.

<<< Paul had the understanding that it was up to us to run the race and fight the good fight of faith (2 Tim 4:7). That is why he did not say in the above verses “have been saved by his life”. Rather he says “will be saved by his life”. Because he fought the good fight and kept the faith he knew that he would receive from Christ a crown “on that day” (resurrection day). And not only to him but all who love his appearing (2 Tim 4:8). >>>

One must ask, “If Investigative Judgment is so plain, and one cannot be saved without believing in it, why is it that no Christian, including the Apostles, ever heard of it before 1844?”

<<< This is just anti-SDA rhetoric. He is attempting to discredit the church by implying that SDA’s believe that salvation is through the doctrinal belief of an investigative judgment rather than through faith in Christ. >>>

I find it even stranger still of God to have supposedly raised up the SDA church to bring this extremely important message to the world, and yet the very first thing that happened was that they got the year wrong-1843 instead of 1844. Then they got what was supposed to happen on that date wrong-at first believing that it was supposed to be the year of Christ's return. Also strange is why God would entrust this message at first to William Miller who opposed “the little flock” of SDA offshoots led by James & Ellen White?

<<< This is just more anti-SDA rhetoric. The SDA church was raised up to proclaim the three angels messages of Revelation 14 and the soon coming of Christ. It is bad enough that the critics put a negative interpretation on the events written about by the ones who experienced them, while at the same time being very careless in their reporting of the details. The SDA Church did not get the year wrong. The SDA Church did not get what was supposed to happen wrong. The Millerites did. And the little flock was not an offshoot. They remained true to the first and second angels messages even through the confusion. The others fell away. As for William Miller, Mrs. White wrote the following, “God suffered him to fall under the power of Satan, the dominion of death, and hid him in the grave from those who were constantly drawing him from the truth. Moses erred as he was about to enter the Promised Land. So also, I saw that William Miller erred as he was soon to enter the heavenly Canaan, in suffering his influence to go against the truth. Others led him to this; others must account for it. But angels watch the precious dust of this servant of God, and he will come forth at the sound of the last trump. {Early Writings 258.2} >>>

So we see how anti-biblical the SDA doctrines of Shut Door and Investigative Judgment really are. Unfortunately for the SDA, their prophetess saw “in vision” that these doctrines were true. So now they are stuck with having to teach them in the light of the Biblical evidence against them. It may be informative to know that Ellen White did not study the Scriptures and discover the truth of the Investigative Judgment. Rather she had a “vision” confirming Hiram Edson's vision. Then SDA apologists tried to find some Biblical support. Failing to find anything substantial, they have resorted to twisting & distorting Scripture in order to prop up their Prophetess’ defense of this unique SDA doctrine. Remember that the greatest minds Christianity has ever known, the greatest Scriptural exegetes, never knew anything of the so-called Investigative Judgment. This should be enough to alert the keen mind to the falsehood of this unique SDA doctrine. Let Paul’s words be ours to our SDA friends.

<<< One has to wonder who these great minds and great scriptural exegetes could be. If they lived and died before the three angels messages began to be proclaimed why would anyone expect that they could or should have known about them? If they were alive they would have accepted the doctrine. Oh wait. . . . they were alive! They did accept the doctrine of the investigative judgment. They were called “the little flock”. >>>  

“I am amazed that you are so soon deserting him who called you in accord with his gracious design in Christ, and are going over to another gospel. But there is no other. Some who wish to alter the gospel of Christ must have confused you. For even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel not in accord with the one we delivered to you, let a curse be upon him! I repeat what I have just said: if anyone preaches a gospel to you other than the one you received, let a curse be upon him!” (Galatians 1: 6-9).

<<< The gospel being preached by the SDA Church is not the gospel that the critics say they are preaching. The controversy is over the law of God. The controversy is over the Sabbath of the law of God. It is not over the good news of salvation through faith in Christ for righteousness. The controversy is over the law because Christ’s adversary wants the worship due God alone and has established a false Sabbath through the Papacy. In rejecting the Sabbath of the 4th Commandment and calling Sunday the Lords Day, apostate Protestantism has made an image to the Papacy. The Seventh-day Adventist Church is raised up to repair the breach in the law. The standard of righteousness is the law of God. God’s seal is the 4th Commandment of the law. The seal gives the document its authority. The one who gave the law is the Lord, creator of heaven and earth and the sea and everything in them. Those who are believing in Christ for salvation when he comes are sealed by the Holy Spirit and will be in compliance with the broken law. Those who say we must keep any other law are not in compliance with God’s standard of righteousness. That is not legalism. That is love. >>>

I pray that this helps in your effort to enlighten your SDA friend. Please let me know if I can be of further help.

God Bless You,

Brother Sal  

<<< In Christ’s love,

Frank >>>  

Seventh-Day Adventists

Sal