Seventh-Day Adventists/IJ

A U. S. Vet wrote at 2013-05-28 18:12:46
Sal, I am a life long SDA who disagrees with you very strongly. I am also a veteran of the Army. I appreciate what you had to say this Memorial Day about the sacrifices of so many Americans. Sacrifices without which we would not have the freedom that we enjoy today. So let me offer a special thanks to your great uncle Angelo for his sacrifice for this country without men like your great uncle we could not have defeated the Axis powers and won World War II.  

Frank wrote at 2013-05-29 12:31:37
5 27 2013 - IJ 2

Expert - The first three quotes relate to salvation and the last four relate to judgment. Unfortunately for him your SDA friend's Bible references have nothing to do with an Investigative Judgment. If he meant to show that there will be a judgment he need not have wasted his time. A judgment does not equal the Investigative Judgment. Just as commandments do not equal the Ten Commandments. Some say that SDAs are brainwashed (I don't agree with them). Your friend equating "judgment" with Investigative Judgment as well as many SDAs equating "commandments" with Ten Commandments or "rest" with Sabbath tends to give support to those who believe SDAs are brainwashed.

SDA Response – The name “investigative judgment” is not the issue. The issue is the unwillingness of professed Christians to consider the evidence rather than reject doctrine simply because it is Seventh-day Adventist doctrine.

The expert seems to take issue with the concept of God investigating before executing judgment. It is difficult to understand why, as it is through investigation that the facts for judging a case are gathered. He believes the saints don’t come into judgment and SDA’s agree. There must be an investigation however, to differentiate between genuine saints and counterfeit saints. “Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.” (Matthew 7:21 KJV) In order to know who has done the Father’s will, there must be an investigation.

“And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment: And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless. Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”

(Matthew 22:11-13 KJV)

The investigative judgment is found in scripture. Even then those who don’t want to believe will refuse to see it.

“The coming of Christ as our high priest to the most holy place, for the cleansing of the sanctuary, brought to view in Daniel 8:14; the coming of the Son of man to the Ancient of days, as presented in Daniel 7:13; and the coming of the Lord to His temple, foretold by Malachi, are descriptions of the same event; and this is also represented by the coming of the bridegroom to the marriage, described by Christ in the parable of the ten virgins, of Matthew 25.       The cleansing of the sanctuary . . . involves a work of investigation --a work of judgment. This work must be performed prior to the coming of Christ to redeem His people; for when He comes, His reward is with Him to give to every man according to his works.”

“For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.” (Matthew 16:27 KJV)

“But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God; Who will render to every man according to his deeds: To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life: But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile; But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile: For there is no respect of persons with God. For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;” (Romans 2:5-12 KJV)

“And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.” (Revelation 22:12 KJV)

Some say that the judgment to reward every man according to His works is not the investigative judgment. What they fail to understand is that the reward being determined is not a reward for good works because all receive their reward but is either the reward of obedience to eternal life for those who have believed or the reward of disobedience to eternal damnation for the finally unrepentant.  

These are the verses that relate to the Investigative Judgment.

“And he said unto me, Unto two thousand and three hundred days; then shall the sanctuary be cleansed.” (Daniel 8:14 KJV)

“I beheld till the thrones were cast down, and the Ancient of days did sit, whose garment was white as snow, and the hair of his head like the pure wool: his throne was like the fiery flame, and his wheels as burning fire. A fiery stream issued and came forth from before him: thousand thousands ministered unto him, and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him: the judgment was set, and the books were opened.” (Daniel 7:9-10 KJV)

“I saw in the night visions, and, behold, one like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before him.” (Daniel 7:13 KJV)

“Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name. And they shall be mine, saith the LORD of hosts, in that day when I make up my jewels; and I will spare them, as a man spareth his own son that serveth him. Then shall ye return, and discern between the righteous and the wicked, between him that serveth God and him that serveth him not.” (Malachi 3:16-18 KJV)

In Christ’s love,

Seventh-Day Adventists

I am privileged to be able to offer an alternative insight into the complicated world of Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) theology. I will rely heavily on the Bible, but will also consider history and use logic in exposing deficiencies in SDA teachings. I would ask anyone who is considering becoming a SDA or if you are already in the SDA church, but are searching for the truth, to please allow me to offer a different explanation for the claims of the SDA. Remember : "The truth will set you free" (John 8:32). I can answer your questions pertaining to the beliefs and history of the SDA. I am not able to answer questions concerning spirituality or church discipline.

I have extensively studied the theology of the Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) for a number of years. I have many books and tape sets produced by experts in this field of study. I have debated current members of the SDA church. I have a great desire to help these people see the truth.

M.S. degree in Food, Nutrition, and Dietetics