Seventh-Day Adventists/What does Gen. 2:2-3 refer to?

Question
Dear Patricia:

What do you think it means in Genesis when God rests on the seventh day? "And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made" (Gen. 2:2-3). If this doesn't refer to the Sabbath being instituted at creation then what does it refer to? Remember that Moses called the seventh day "the Sabbath" (Ex. 20:11).

Thanks for your time.
Steve

Answer
Hello Steve,

Thank you so much for your question.

I believe Genesis 2:2-3 means exactly what it says:

Genesis 2:2-3 (KJV)
2  And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
3  And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

God set apart (blessed and sanctified) the 7th day as a day of rest from His creative works. There is nothing in the text that says or even alludes to Him repeating it every 7th day. There is no hint that He invited Adam and Eve to join Him in His rest.

Genesis does not say that God blessed the seventh day because He was making it as a rest day for man. The text clearly gives the reason why God blessed and sanctified the day: BECAUSE in it HE RESTED from HIS works. He may have had future plans for this declaration, but in Genesis and right after creation His reason is clear.

To say that the Sabbath began at Creation because God rested is adding to the canon of Scripture. If it were intended for Adam and Eve why doesn't Scripture say "they" rested? Also God created everything Adam and Eve needed prior to creating them. He declared everything "Good" and then He created them. He could have easily declared a day of rest for them prior to creating them or even after and then give them instructions for keeping it but He didn't.

I believe that it's important to remember that at creation Adam and Eve were in a sinless state and God visited them face to face in the Garden. Why would they need a day to remember Him when they had His presence? Why would they need a rest day right after being created? When they sinned and God cursed the ground, where do we find Him instructing them to keep a Sabbath to rest from their hard labor? There is no instruction because the Bible clearly says that BEFORE THE LAW WAS GIVEN sin was in the world.

Romans 5:13 (AMP)
13  [To be sure] sin was in the world before ever the Law was given , but sin is not charged to menís account where there is no law [to transgress].

The Sabbath was included in the law given at Mt. Sinai (Exodus 20) and it was first introduced to the nation of Israel (and Israel only) in Exodus 16.

Exodus 16:23 (AMP)
23  He said to them, The Lord has said, Tomorrow is a solemn rest, a holy Sabbath to the Lord ; bake and boil what you will bake and boil today; and all that remains over put aside for you to keep until morning.

When the Sabbath was introduced, they had been been delivered from Egypt and traveling in the wilderness for several weeks but not one Sabbath had been kept up to that point or even mentioned by God. Why is that? And when it was given to them, there was no reference of their ancestors (Adam, Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, etc.) keeping it.

Up until Exodus 16, the Bible is silent about anyone keeping a Sabbath.

I hope this answer has been helpful. Be blessed.  

Seventh-Day Adventists

Patricia Allen