Seventh-Day Adventists/Genesis 2:2, 3

Since you removed the “add to this answer” dialogue here is the response.

<<< Patricia’s answer: >>>

I believe Genesis 2:2-3 means exactly what it says:

Genesis 2:2-3 (KJV)
2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

God set apart (blessed and sanctified) the 7th day as a day of rest from His creative works. There is nothing in the text that says or even alludes to Him repeating it every 7th day.

<<< According to this logic, there never was a day that was blessed and sanctified by God. If it wasn’t blessed and sanctified until it ended (which is true) and it never repeated itself then it never really existed in the first place and that is complete nonsense. >>>

There is no hint that He invited Adam and Eve to join Him in His rest.

<<< Everything God did was for His new creation. And that includes six days for work and a day of rest. “And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the Garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.” (Genesis 2:15 KJV) We do not believe that God would bless and sanctify a day and then not tell His new creation about it, thus causing them to profane it.

The year, month, and day are measured by the sun and moon and stars. Only in scripture can we find the origin of the seven day week. We believe it is repeated every seventh day because there is no other explanation for a seven day week. In more than twenty languages the name for the seventh day of the week is “Sabbath”. There is much more evidence for a seven day week with the seventh day as the Sabbath than there is for no seven day week and no Sabbath or even a seven day week with no Sabbath. >>>

Genesis does not say that God blessed the seventh day because He was making it as a rest day for man. The text clearly gives the reason why God blessed and sanctified the day: BECAUSE in it HE RESTED from HIS works. He may have had future plans for this declaration, but in Genesis and right after creation His reason is clear.

<<< The plan of God is clear. The first week is the measure for every week that followed it. The Commandment that defines the week says, “For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.” (Exodus 20:11 KJV) He didn’t bless and sanctify it at Sinai. He did it at creation. We know that they kept it because the first sin was that of disobedience, not profaning the Sabbath. >>>

To say that the Sabbath began at Creation because God rested is adding to the canon of Scripture. If it were intended for Adam and Eve why doesn't Scripture say "they" rested?

<<< The first seventh day wasn’t blessed and sanctified until it ended. Also, they had done no work to “rest” from. >>>

Also God created everything Adam and Eve needed prior to creating them.

<<< God wouldn’t have made the Sabbath if man did not “need” it.  As God rested and was refreshed (Exodus 31:17) on the seventh day so man was to have a day every week to rest from his work and be refreshed. >>>

He declared everything "Good" and then He created them.
He could have easily declared a day of rest for them prior to creating them or even after and then give them instructions for keeping it but He didn't.

<<< To invoke what God could have done is meaningless. Does Patricia expect us to believe that everything that was said and done is only that which is recorded? Concerning Jesus’ ministry on earth the Apostle John wrote, “And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.” (John 21:25 KJV) As Jesus told His disciples that he was now their example when He walked with them, “This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.” (John 15:12 KJV); He was Adam and Eve’s example of how to keep the Sabbath when He walked with them in the garden. >>>

I believe that it's important to remember that at creation Adam and Eve were in a sinless state and God visited them face to face in the Garden. Why would they need a day to remember Him when they had His presence? Why would they need a rest day right after being created?

<<< Why would they need a day of rest right after being created? As Patricia pointed out in her answer, God did not bless and sanctify it until it ended. The first Sabbath was not for Adam and Eve except that it served as an example as they spent the day with their creator. We do not believe it is against scripture to believe that God told Adam and Eve that He would meet with them every seventh day (Sabbath) so they could share with Him all they had learned and experienced. While they were engaged in their work was when the serpent tempted Eve and there is no suggestion that God was walking with her (or Adam) at that time (even though he undoubtedly already knew everything that would happen). >>>

When they sinned and God cursed the ground, where do we find Him instructing them to keep a Sabbath to rest from their hard labor?

<<< The narrative concerning the expulsion from the garden says nothing about the broken law. The broken law isn’t revealed until the story of the Exodus and the encampment at Sinai. >>>

There is no instruction because the Bible clearly says that BEFORE THE LAW WAS GIVEN sin was in the world.
Romans 5:13 (AMP)
13  [To be sure] sin was in the world before ever the Law was given , but sin is not charged to men’s account where there is no law [to transgress].

<<< And yet God destroyed the world and all of its inhabitants save eight because “every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.” So there must have been a law. (Gen 6:5 KJV) Also Cain sinned when he killed his brother. “If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door  . . .” (Genesis 4:7 KJV) Potiphar’s wife attempted to seduce Joseph into committing adultery but he resisted and said to her, “. . . how then can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God?
(Genesis 39:9 KJV) There clearly was a law before Sinai and SDA’s believe it is the same law the God wrote in stone at Sinai. Before sin, the principles of the law were written in the heart and were to guarantee life for man throughout eternity. Sin interrupted that plan. The apostle Paul stated this truth succinctly when he wrote, “And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.” (Romans 7:10 KJV) We believe that after sin a loving God then explained to Adam and Eve the broken law and told them about the promised atoning sacrifice. Even though it had not yet been given to the nation of Israel for a law, it was given to Adam and Eve by their creator and passed from generation to generation by word of mouth or when necessary was communicated either by Jesus or by angels. >>>

The Sabbath was included in the law given at Mt. Sinai (Exodus 20) and it was first introduced to the nation of Israel (and Israel only) in Exodus 16.

<<< “Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the LORD, to serve him, and to love the name of the LORD, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant; Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people. The Lord GOD which gathereth the outcasts of Israel saith, Yet will I gather others to him, beside those that are gathered unto him.” (Isaiah 56:6-8 KJV)

“Moreover concerning the stranger, which is not of thy people Israel, but is come from a far country for thy great name's sake, and thy mighty hand, and thy stretched out arm; if they come and pray in this house;
Then hear thou from the heavens, even from thy dwelling place, and do according to all that the stranger calleth to thee for; that all people of the earth may know thy name, and fear thee, as doth thy people Israel, and may know that this house which I have built is called by thy name.” (2 Chronicles 6:32, 33 KJV)  >>>

Exodus 16:23 (AMP)
23  He said to them, The Lord has said, Tomorrow is a solemn rest, a holy Sabbath to the Lord ; bake and boil what you will bake and boil today; and all that remains over put aside for you to keep until morning.

When the Sabbath was introduced, they had been been delivered from Egypt and traveling in the wilderness for several weeks but not one Sabbath had been kept up to that point or even mentioned by God. Why is that? And when it was given to them, there was no reference of their ancestors (Adam, Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, etc.) keeping it.

<<< After 400 years of Egyptian bondage and not keeping the Sabbath are we now to believe that it wasn’t a creation ordinance because the children of Israel weren’t told to keep it while fleeing from the Egyptians? What a ludicrous suggestion. When they were introduced (as in reintroduced) to the Sabbath it was a test of obedience to “. . . prove them, whether they will walk in my law (torah), or no.” (Ex 16:4). SDA’s believe the Sabbath of the 4th Commandment will be a test of obedience at the end of time as well. >>>

Up until Exodus 16, the Bible is silent about anyone keeping a Sabbath.

<<< The moral law is one law. It existed from the beginning and continues forever.

“Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.”
(John 17:17 KJV)
“This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.” (1 John 5:6 KJV)
“Thy righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, and thy law is the truth.” (Psalms 119:142 KJV)
“Thou art near, O LORD; and all thy commandments (Strong’s: mitzvah, collectively, the Law) are truth.” (Psalms 119:151 KJV)
“Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” (John 14:6 KJV)

“I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.” (3 John 1:4 KJV) >>>

I hope this answer has been helpful. Be blessed.

<<< Those who want to discredit the beliefs and teachings of the Seventh-day Adventist Church are condemned to misinterpret scripture. Some have said there was law before Sinai but not the Decalogue. They talk about a natural law that everyone “just knows”. Scripture does not support that point of view. “What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.” (Romans 7:7 KJV) Either there was then and is now moral law or there wasn’t then and isn’t now moral law. (Romans 2:15 refers to the principles of the moral law written in the heart). Morality is absolute. Jesus died on the cross because the moral law was transgressed. That is the law men's deeds are measured by and therefore does not and cannot change. If the law could have been changed to accommodate sin, Christ would not have had to endure the agonies of the cross. “Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 5:19 KJV)  

<<< In Christ’s love,
         Frank >>>

Hello Frank,

Thank you for your response and rebuttal.

I was taught and I have heard your arguments many times over for defense of the Sabbath but I really would like for you to show it to me in Scripture. You can't say "there must have been" because that is an assumption. Please point me to Scripture(s) saying that the Sabbath began in the Garden of Eden.

If God wants me to keep and if He had invited me to keep the Sabbath, I would not object to it. In fact, when I thought He wanted me to, in my frailty, I attempted to keep it for decades. At the same time, if He has not commanded me to keep it, I don't have to and I am free to treat all days the same or choose which one or ones I want to corporately worship Him on. It boils down to a relationship with a Person and not a day. Sabbath for me is every day because it's resting from my works of trying to save myself and trusting in the finished work that was accomplished on the Cross for me. A day cannot save me but a Person can. My rest is in Jesus.

Furthermore, please show me in Scripture where Gentiles are commanded to keep the Sabbath since it was given to the Israelites exclusively. Even the Acts 15 Council did not make the Sabbath a command for Gentiles to keep.

I truly understand that everything is not contained in the Bible BUT everything that God wants us to know for our time and salvation is. Everything that He wants us to build a foundation on is included. How can you justify making a commandment applicable to Gentiles when God gave it to Israel only? How can you justify making the Sabbath a condition of salvation (since the Sabbath in the SDA church is viewed as the seal of God)? How can you justify calling the Sabbath the seal of God when the Bible says the Holy Spirit is? Why is it so important to keep lifting up a day when it is our duty to lift up Jesus? To many, the day has become a religion instead of the Savior.

Frank, I truly respect your position and understanding because I believe you to be sincere, it's just that what you believe is not my understanding. You speak of what the SDA church believes about the law, etc. and that is their right and privilege but believing it doesn't make it truth when in fact those beliefs are an addition to Scripture. I believe the Bible backs me up and that my conclusions are not based on assumptions nor from silence. To me, it speaks loud and clear and I believe it.

I have no problem with disagreements, it's a healthy part of life when done respectfully. It's good to share and allow people to research and study for themselves in order to arrive at their own conclusions aided by the Holy Spirit. That's my sincere goal whenever I am asked a question. I answer to the best of my ability from the Bible and I don't feel it to be my place or duty to try to tell people what to believe. They are free to accept or reject some or all of my response because I am not the final word. The Spirit is more than capable to lead and guide sincere seekers of truth.

Be blessed as always.

Seventh-Day Adventists

Patricia Allen

As a former Seventh-day Adventist (SDA), I have insight of value to those who are questioning and/or trying to decide if they should leave or become an SDA. It would be my privilege to discuss SDA church doctrine, structure, Ellen White, the old and new covenants, and their various beliefs. The Bible will be my main source of reference and all quotes, etc. will be documented. I understand that there are different variants of Adventists, but I am only familiar with what I would call traditional or main stream.

I was a Seventh-day Adventist for over 50 years. I attended their schools and I was always active in the churches I attended. I also worked for the denomination for 37 years. Since I was educated in their schools from Grade 1, and because what I was taught came from the Bible, I never questioned my beliefs. I considered myself as one whom the Lord had chosen to bring out of darkness into His marvelous light. In the year 2005, I became keenly aware that Ellen White contradicted the Scriptures numerous times and plagiarized some of her most popular writings. At this point, I had to seriously consider studying for myself with the aid of the Holy Spirit to see if indeed I really had the truth. Sad to say, I discovered that I was deluded and deliberately deceived by the church I loved and served. In 2010, I requested that my name be withdrawn from the membership roster of the church. Since then, it has been my passion to tell those in the SDA church and those considering joining Adventism, the truth and freedom that I have discovered and enjoy daily. I interact on Facebook with SDAs frequently regarding their beliefs and doctrines compared to the Bible. In addition to answering questions on this site, I have a blog ( and the purpose of my articles is to expose the false doctrines of the SDA church After 50 plus years of trying to 'work' my way, I have discovered the sweet rest in the finished work of my Savior. I've also discovered that there is nothing that I have ever done to make Jesus love me less and there is nothing that I can ever do to make Jesus love me more. Jesus just loves me and this I know!

M.A.O.M. degree (Master of Arts in Organizational Management). I also have a B.A.I.C. degree (Born Again in Christ). My calling is to help spread the Good News of the Gospel and to help lift the veil by sharing Jesus, Who is the Truth and the Light.