Seventh-Day Adventists/God's Laws Written Upon Our Heart

Question
QUESTION: Sal,

"For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put My laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to Me a people." (Hebrews 8:10)

According to this verse, the New Covenant that God makes with His people is to write His laws upon the hearts and minds of His people.  What are these laws?

ANSWER: Dear Brother Lee:

The New Covenant Law consists of the Holy Spirit being poured out on believers and put into their innermost being or "heart". The Old Covenant had laws or instructions that were written on stone and paper. The New Covenant has laws or instructions written "...not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts" (2 Corinthians 3:3 ESV).  In the New Covenant God dwells with His people and guides them from within by the power of the Holy Spirit. Christians do not need a written code. The New Covenant laws or instructions is the Holy Spirit "written" in our innermost being.

Thanks for the question.

Have a blessed day,
Brother Sal

QUESTION: So, you would agree that the difference between the New Covenant and the Old Covenant is not a matter of the law of God, but rather where that law is written?  In the Old Covenant, the law was written upon tables of stone and the people promised to keep it; in the New Covenant, the people don't make the promises, but rather it is God's promise to write His laws upon the hearts of the believers.

So, rather than "Thou shalt not covet...," "Thou shalt not commit adultery," "Thou shalt not steal," "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord your God in vain...," "Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy..." being written in stone, it is written in the heart, thus enabling the believer by the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ to be "free from the law of sin and death," being made free by "the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus..." (Romans 8:2)  The Spirit of Jesus abides in the believer enabling him to live as Jesus lived.  This in agreement with the apostle Paul in Galatians:

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave Himself for me." (Galatians 2:20)

Answer
Hello Brother Lee:

Essentially, yes. But remember that the Old Covenant is an inferior covenant compared to the new Covenant. In the New Covenant, “a better covenant”, Jesus reveals a new higher standard of conduct for his people. “For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 5:20 NASB).  Then he gives concrete examples of the superiority of the New Covenant morality (see Matthew 5:21-48). Paul calls this New Way the Law of Christ (see 1 Corinthians 9:21; Galatians 6:2). The great commandment of the New Law is to love as Jesus loves. “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another” (John 13:34-35 NIV; see also 15:9-17). The righteousness of God’s people is no longer determined by conformity to Old Covenant rules, regulations, and sacrifices, but by conformity to the teachings of Jesus.

I pray that this was of help to you,
Brother Sal

Seventh-Day Adventists

Sal