Seventh-Day Adventists/The Ten Commandments and Creation

Hi Patricia,
I was reading your answers to the person who asked you about Creation week and the 7th day Sabbath.

You stated that the Sabbath was not given until Sinai with the Ten Commandments. And then you stated that the Sabbath was introduced in Exodus 16. ??????????????????

I'm a little "confused" by your statements.
Which is it? - the Sabbath was made known at Sinai or was it before Sinai in Exodus 16?

If the Sabbath was "introduced" in Exodus 16 - why would God be so harsh as to destroy them for not obeying it when he just introduced it to them. Remember the LORD in that chapter is none other than Jesus himself.

The Bible says in Nehemiah 9 that the Sabbath (and even all of the law) wasn't known to the Israelites UNTIL Sinai.
13 Thou camest down also upon mount Sinai, and spakest with them from heaven, and gavest them right judgments, and true laws, good statutes and commandments:  14 And madest known unto them thy holy sabbath , and commandedst them precepts, statutes, and laws, by the hand of Moses thy servant:

So which is it? Is it Sinai or is it BEFORE Sinai?

My other questions for you are these:
Did the Law (the Ten Commandments) exist before Mt. Sinai?
And did the same Law exist at the time of Creation?
And did the same Law exist in heaven BEFORE this world was created?

I look forward to your comments/answers.
God Bless, David

Dear David,

Thank you so much for your comments, critique and questions.

I wrote:
"The Sabbath was included in the law given at Mt. Sinai (Exodus 20) and it was first introduced to the nation of Israel (and Israel only) in Exodus 16."

I sincerely apologize for the confusion. I really said what I meant but I guess I could have said it better.

In Exodus 16, the Sabbath and manna were introduced as a test of obedience.

Exodus 16:4-5 (NIV)
4  Then the LORD said to Moses, "I will rain down bread from heaven for you. The people are to go out each day and gather enough for that day. In this way I will test them and see whether they will follow my instructions.
5  On the sixth day they are to prepare what they bring in, and that is to be twice as much as they gather on the other days."     

The people were to gather manna on the 6th day for two days because the Lord was giving them a day of rest, a Sabbath. The leaders were confused about this and went to Moses to tell them what they were doing.

Exodus 16:22-23 (NIV)
22  On the sixth day, they gathered twice as much--two omers for each person--and the leaders of the community came and reported this to Moses .
23  He said to them, "This is what the LORD commanded: 'Tomorrow is to be a day of rest, a holy Sabbath to the LORD . So bake what you want to bake and boil what you want to boil. Save whatever is left and keep it until morning.'"    

God's instructions were specific and they were to obey them. They were to gather enough manna for two days and stay within their tents and rest. When some of the people ignored God's commands He said,

Exodus 16:28-30 (NIV)

28  Then the LORD said to Moses, "How long will you refuse to keep my commands and my instructions?
29  Bear in mind that the LORD has given you the Sabbath; that is why on the sixth day he gives you bread for two days. Everyone is to stay where he is on the seventh day; no one is to go out."
30  So the people rested on the seventh day.   

According to Exodus 16, no one was killed or destroyed at this time for Sabbath breaking. When the complete law was given in Exodus 20 (and subsequent chapters) at Sinai, God promised death to anyone who profaned the Sabbath as revealed in Exodus 31. Numbers 15 tells of a man who was stoned for breaking the Sabbath by gathering wood. God in His great love and mercy had given fair warning prior to the man's disobedience.

Exodus 31:15 (AMP)
15  Six days may work be done, but the seventh is the Sabbath of rest, sacred to the Lord; whoever does work on the Sabbath day shall surely be put to death.

Numbers 15:32-36 (NIV)
32 While the Israelites were in the desert, a man was found gathering wood on the Sabbath day.
33  Those who found him gathering wood brought him to Moses and Aaron and the whole assembly,
34  and they kept him in custody, because it was not clear what should be done to him.
35  Then the LORD said to Moses, "The man must die. The whole assembly must stone him outside the camp."
36  So the assembly took him outside the camp and stoned him to death, as the LORD commanded Moses.

So, in essence, the Sabbath and manna were introduced in Exodus 16 as a test of obedience but the law (including the Sabbath) was given to the people in Exodus 20 and subsequent chapters.

You asked:

"Did the Law (the Ten Commandments) exist before Mt. Sinai?
And did the same Law exist in heaven BEFORE this world was created?"

Since the Bible says that sin was in the world before the law was given....

Romans 5:13 (AMP)
13  [To be sure] sin was in the world before ever the Law was given, but sin is not charged to menís account where there is no law [to transgress].

I would have to conclude that the Ten Commandments did not exist before Sinai and creation. I know of no Scripture to prove or to even allude that the Ten Commandments existed in heaven before the world was created. I believe they were made for and given to Israel and Israel only as the covenant agreement between God and Israel.

Exodus 34:28 (AMP)
28  Moses was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights; he ate no bread and drank no water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the Ten Commandments .

I hope I have been clearer this time. God bless!  

Seventh-Day Adventists

Patricia Allen

As a former Seventh-day Adventist (SDA), I have insight of value to those who are questioning and/or trying to decide if they should leave or become an SDA. It would be my privilege to discuss SDA church doctrine, structure, Ellen White, the old and new covenants, and their various beliefs. The Bible will be my main source of reference and all quotes, etc. will be documented. I understand that there are different variants of Adventists, but I am only familiar with what I would call traditional or main stream.

I was a Seventh-day Adventist for over 50 years. I attended their schools and I was always active in the churches I attended. I also worked for the denomination for 37 years. Since I was educated in their schools from Grade 1, and because what I was taught came from the Bible, I never questioned my beliefs. I considered myself as one whom the Lord had chosen to bring out of darkness into His marvelous light. In the year 2005, I became keenly aware that Ellen White contradicted the Scriptures numerous times and plagiarized some of her most popular writings. At this point, I had to seriously consider studying for myself with the aid of the Holy Spirit to see if indeed I really had the truth. Sad to say, I discovered that I was deluded and deliberately deceived by the church I loved and served. In 2010, I requested that my name be withdrawn from the membership roster of the church. Since then, it has been my passion to tell those in the SDA church and those considering joining Adventism, the truth and freedom that I have discovered and enjoy daily. I interact on Facebook with SDAs frequently regarding their beliefs and doctrines compared to the Bible. In addition to answering questions on this site, I have a blog ( and the purpose of my articles is to expose the false doctrines of the SDA church After 50 plus years of trying to 'work' my way, I have discovered the sweet rest in the finished work of my Savior. I've also discovered that there is nothing that I have ever done to make Jesus love me less and there is nothing that I can ever do to make Jesus love me more. Jesus just loves me and this I know!

M.A.O.M. degree (Master of Arts in Organizational Management). I also have a B.A.I.C. degree (Born Again in Christ). My calling is to help spread the Good News of the Gospel and to help lift the veil by sharing Jesus, Who is the Truth and the Light.