Seventh-Day Adventists/Tithing today

Question
Dear Sal:

One cannot honestly say that tithing was an Old Covenant law that ended with the Old Covenant because Abraham tithed in Genesis 14 well before the Law of Moses. So tithing could not have ended with the Old Covenant. So it is still a valid thing for Christians to do and we should tithe.

God Bless,
Lisa

Answer
Dear Sister Lisa:

Just because something existed prior to the establishment of the Old Covenant does not mean that we are obligated to observe it today. If we follow your logic then one may say that adultery is not a sin today because it first occurred prior to the Old Covenant stating, “You shall not commit adultery” (Exodus 20:14; Deuteronomy 5:18). Abraham slept with Hagar committing adultery (see Genesis 16:4). What about murder (see Genesis 4:8)? I’m sure you do not allow for adultery and murder, but do you see the problem of your logic here? Again, just because something can be shown to have occurred prior to Sinai does not mean that automatically it is a valid practice in the New Covenant. Marriage is an example of something that began before Sinai, was included in the Old Covenant, but is still valid today. I believe that tithing is an example of something that began before Sinai, was included in the Old Covenant, but was not repeated after Calvary as a requirement for Christians.

God Bless You,
Brother Sal

Seventh-Day Adventists

Sal