Seventh-Day Adventists/10 commandments

Frank wrote at 2013-07-20 23:27:53

7 18 2013 - 10 commandments

<<<The expert’s answer: >>>

It’s great to hear from you again. You ask an excellent question. Let’s look at Revelation 11 in the English Standard Version (ESV).

<<< The questioner says the Ten Commandments were replaced with Jesus’ “love commandment”. Love for God and love for one another, the two greatest commandments in the law, do not replace the law (see Matthew 22:36-40). They are the means through which it is established.  “Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.” (Romans 3:31 KJV) The commandment to love God was not first given in the New Testament. It is found in the Old Testament book of Deuteronomy. “And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.” (Deuteronomy 6:5 KJV) It is repeated in the New Testament by Jesus as, “Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.” (Matthew 22:37 KJV) Likewise, the commandment to love one another was first given in the Old Testament book of Leviticus, “. . . but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD.” (Leviticus 19:18 KJV) And it is repeated in the New Testament as, “. . . Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.” (Matthew 22:39) >>>

Then I was given a measuring rod like a staff, and I was told, “Rise and measure the temple of God and the altar and those who worship there, 2 but do not measure the court outside the temple; leave that out, for it is given over to the nations, and they will trample the holy city for forty-two months. 3 And I will grant authority to my two witnesses, and they will prophesy for 1,260 days, clothed in sackcloth.” 4 These are the two olive trees and the two lampstands that stand before the Lord of the earth. 5 And if anyone would harm them, fire pours from their mouth and consumes their foes. If anyone would harm them, this is how he is doomed to be killed. 6 They have the power to shut the sky, that no rain may fall during the days of their prophesying, and they have power over the waters to turn them into blood and to strike the earth with every kind of plague, as often as they desire. 7 And when they have finished their testimony, the beast that rises from the bottomless pit will make war on them and conquer them and kill them, 8 and their dead bodies will lie in the street of the great city that symbolically is called Sodom and Egypt, where their Lord was crucified. 9 For three and a half days some from the peoples and tribes and languages and nations will gaze at their dead bodies and refuse to let them be placed in a tomb, 10 and those who dwell on the earth will rejoice over them and make merry and exchange presents, because these two prophets had been a torment to those who dwell on the earth. 11 But after the three and a half days a breath of life from God entered them, and they stood up on their feet, and great fear fell on those who saw them. 12 Then they heard a loud voice from heaven saying to them, “Come up here!” And they went up to heaven in a cloud, and their enemies watched them. 13 And at that hour there was a great earthquake, and a tenth of the city fell. Seven thousand people were killed in the earthquake, and the rest were terrified and gave glory to the God of heaven. 14 The second woe has passed; behold, the third woe is soon to come. 15 Then the seventh angel blew his trumpet, and there were loud voices in heaven, saying, “The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Christ, and he shall reign forever and ever.” 16 And the twenty-four elders who sit on their thrones before God fell on their faces and worshiped God, 17 saying,“We give thanks to you, Lord God Almighty, who is and who was,for you have taken your great power and begun to reign. 18 The nations raged, but your wrath came, and the time for the dead to be judged,and for rewarding your servants, the prophets and saints, and those who fear your name, both small and great, and for destroying the destroyers of the earth.” 19 Then God's temple in heaven was opened, and the ark of his covenant was seen within his temple. There were flashes of lightning, rumblings, peals of thunder, an earthquake, and heavy hail.

The Ark of the Covenant represents God’s Holy Presence and, therefore judgment. At this point in the book those who reject Christ are judged by God. The outer court of the temple in the holy city is trampled by unbelievers (v. 2). God sends two witnesses to preach the Gospel to them (v. 3). God will protect them until their testimony is finished (v. 7). Then God will raise His witnesses as another testimony to unbelievers (vs. 11-13). Those in heaven recognize that this means victor for God (v. 15). They all praise God for His righteous judgment (v. 18). After announcing God’s judgment to destroy the unbelievers God’s temple in heaven is opened (v. 19). God’s Holy Presence is seen which for unbelievers means judgment. God is known to appear above the Mercy Seat of the Ark (cf. Exodus 25:22; 30:6; Numbers 7:89). This appearance of the Ark is followed by lightning, thunder, earthquake, and hail all of this indicates the great power of God in judgment.

This has nothing to do with the continuation of the Ten Commandments. The Bible teaches that the Ten Commandments were the Old Covenant.

<<< The sanctuary on the earth was patterned after the true heavenly sanctuary (see Exodus 25:9). It represented, in type, Christ’s atoning sacrifice and His work as our High Priest in the heavenly sanctuary after His resurrection. To suggest that the heavenly ark does not contain the law of God as did the shadow on earth is a repudiation of logic of the highest order. >>>

“Then the Lord spoke to you out of the midst of the fire. You heard the sound of words, but saw no form; there was only a voice. And he declared to you his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, that is, the Ten Commandments, and he wrote them on two tablets of stone” (Deuteronomy 4:12-13 ESV).  

<<< It is impossible for the moral law (the Ten Commandments) to come to an end. The Covenant waxed old because it was rendered obsolete when Christ ratified the Abrahamic Covenant on the cross. Why was the Old Covenant replaced with the new? It is because the Children of Israel did not keep the Old (see Hebrews 8:9). The law of the Covenant remains.  “The works of his hands are verity and judgment; all his commandments are sure. They stand fast for ever and ever, and are done in truth and uprightness.” (Psalms 111:7-8 KJV) >>>

Further we read that this covenant became obsolete with the advent of the New Covenant. “In speaking of a new covenant, he makes the first one obsolete. And what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away” (Hebrews 8:13 ESV).

<<< Why did the Covenant become obsolete? Under the New Covenant, the Old Covenant ritual remedies for sin are no longer required because Christ is the true remedy for sin that the Old Covenant rituals foreshadowed. His death caused the sacrifice and oblation to cease, (see Daniel 9:27) fulfilling the ordinances of divine worship and the sanctuary service, rendering them obsolete. The Ten Commandments are the precepts of the universal moral law. The Ten Commandments written in stone are also written on the tables of the human heart. “But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.”

(Jeremiah 31:33 KJV) >>>

Thanks for the question. Let me know if I can be of further help.

Brother Sal  

<<< In Christ’s love,

Frank >>>

Seventh-Day Adventists

Sal