Seventh-Day Adventists/The "Moral Law"

Dear Patricia:

I would like to ask you as a former SDA when I speak to an SDA and say that the law has changed she will say, "There's no change in the moral law." Even though I did not mention "the moral law". If I say the priesthood has changed she says, "The moral law hasn't changed." Even though I didn't mention the moral law. If I say the covenant has changed she says, "The moral law hasn't changed." Is she really listening to me or do SDAs just have a "script" that they stick to? Do SDAs usually mean by the term "moral law" the Ten Commandments? Wouldn't that imply that only the commandments found in the Ten Commandments are moral?

Have a great day!

Dear Lisa,

Thank you so much for your questions.

I would agree that your observation is accurate. The following is taken from their book, Questions on Doctrines (QD), page 129, which will help explain SDAs mindset regarding the Ten Commandments:

"On what grounds do Seventh-day Adventists consider as separate the "moral law" and the "ceremonial law," in view of what our Lord accomplished on Calvary's cross?

We feel that there are ample Biblical grounds for making this distinction. The Ten Commandments, or the Decalogue, constitute in principle God's eternal law. Not only is this law eternal, but it is immutable. It is the foundation of His throne; it is the expression of His character. Since it represents His characteróor what God Himself isówe believe it is as eternal as the everlasting God."

My Response:

So yes, when SDAs speak of the moral law, they are referring to the Ten Commandments. However, they fail to see that the 4th commandment, which is included in the Ten, is ceremonial in nature. The Sabbath commandment had/has certain rituals attached to it that had/have to be observed in a specific manner and/or on a certain day.

Also, any time the word commandment is used in Scripture, SDAs usually conclude that the Ten Commandments are being referenced. For instance:  

1 John 2:3 (KJV)
And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments .

Revelation 22:14 (KJV)
14  Blessed are they that do his commandments , that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
The word 'commandments' in each of these verses according to Strong's Greek and Hebrew Dictionary is referring to authoritative principles. Taken from <G1781> (entellomai); injunction, i.e. an authoritative prescription :- commandment, precept.

"Commandments" in the above texts is not referring to the law given at Sinai or the Ten. SDAs use the above texts as proof texts to erroneously teach that Christians are under the law.

You asked:
Wouldn't that imply that only the commandments found in the Ten Commandments are moral?

My response:

Yes, I agree that their position implies that the only moral laws are found in the Ten. I believe the Holy Spirit would totally disagree with that position since born-again believers are led and empowered by the Spirit and not the law.

The fact remains that the entire law, including the covenant agreement with Israel (the Ten Commandments) was given to Israel and Israel only. SDAs are preaching, teaching and trying to live under the Old Covenant given to Israel.

Exodus 34:28 (KJV)
And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

Jesus fulfilled the law in its entirety on the cross and we are now commanded to love God and love each others. Gentiles were never under the law given to Israel. I hope this answer has been somewhat helpful.  

Seventh-Day Adventists

Patricia Allen

As a former Seventh-day Adventist (SDA), I have insight of value to those who are questioning and/or trying to decide if they should leave or become an SDA. It would be my privilege to discuss SDA church doctrine, structure, Ellen White, the old and new covenants, and their various beliefs. The Bible will be my main source of reference and all quotes, etc. will be documented. I understand that there are different variants of Adventists, but I am only familiar with what I would call traditional or main stream.

I was a Seventh-day Adventist for over 50 years. I attended their schools and I was always active in the churches I attended. I also worked for the denomination for 37 years. Since I was educated in their schools from Grade 1, and because what I was taught came from the Bible, I never questioned my beliefs. I considered myself as one whom the Lord had chosen to bring out of darkness into His marvelous light. In the year 2005, I became keenly aware that Ellen White contradicted the Scriptures numerous times and plagiarized some of her most popular writings. At this point, I had to seriously consider studying for myself with the aid of the Holy Spirit to see if indeed I really had the truth. Sad to say, I discovered that I was deluded and deliberately deceived by the church I loved and served. In 2010, I requested that my name be withdrawn from the membership roster of the church. Since then, it has been my passion to tell those in the SDA church and those considering joining Adventism, the truth and freedom that I have discovered and enjoy daily. I interact on Facebook with SDAs frequently regarding their beliefs and doctrines compared to the Bible. In addition to answering questions on this site, I have a blog ( and the purpose of my articles is to expose the false doctrines of the SDA church After 50 plus years of trying to 'work' my way, I have discovered the sweet rest in the finished work of my Savior. I've also discovered that there is nothing that I have ever done to make Jesus love me less and there is nothing that I can ever do to make Jesus love me more. Jesus just loves me and this I know!

M.A.O.M. degree (Master of Arts in Organizational Management). I also have a B.A.I.C. degree (Born Again in Christ). My calling is to help spread the Good News of the Gospel and to help lift the veil by sharing Jesus, Who is the Truth and the Light.