Seventh-Day Adventists/Sabbath

QUESTION: Isn't it curious that the 10 commandments doesn't come as a package?  That of all the 10 commandments, the Sabbath is the most controversial?  Can the 10 commandments  simply be broken down to the two simple commandments Jesus mentioned in Matthew 22:37-40?  The first 4 loving God with all our hearts and the last 6 loving our neighbor as ourselves.  God is love.   Isn't the bottom line of verses like Romans 14:5 and Colossians 2:16 about judging?   So whether  one person is convinced in their minds that sabbath is a ceremonial law or Sabbath as the seventh day to rest as part of the 10 commandments all boils down to whether our love for God and our fellowmen prevails.  Can we respect, love each other  and agree to disagree?  Or are we going to think we are better than the person who can't understand or see  the interpretation of the bible as we do?  This would be judging on both sides and only God is the Judge.  

I believe that we are in this world for God to grow us spiritually and shape our characters for eternity.  Everything in this world is for our eternal best interest because "we were made by Him and for Him".Colossians1:16   I love what someone said, "eternal life is a never ending love for God."

ANSWER: Hello Elizabeth,

Thank you for your comments.

I find it curious that the Ten Commandments have been lifted from the law as if they stand alone. I also find it curious that some Christians use the Ten Commandments as their moral compass when the Bible says that we are not under the law but the Spirit.

The Ten Commandments were in fact the words of the covenant with Israel and were rightly placed in the Ark of the Covenant because they were the covenant. The law (including the Ten Commandments) was a unit and could not be divided. The Israelites were told to obey ALL of the commands, decrees, laws and ordinances, etc., so if they broke one law they were guilty of breaking them all.

Since the entire law was fulfilled and nailed to the cross, all believers are now under the Law of Christ, or the Law of Love or Liberty. We will be judged by the law of love for our rewards. There is no law given by God for believers to worship on a particular day under the New Covenant. Our rest is found in the Person of Jesus every day. He is our Sabbath rest. However, if a believer chooses to fellowship with believers on any given day, they are free to choose which day and they are only accountable to their Master.

I totally agree with you that we should not judge each other. I also believe that the Bible is clear regarding the beginning of the law, the end of the law and to whom the law was given (Israel). Gentiles were not given the law of Moses which included the Ten Commandments, which housed the Sabbath commandment. The 7th day Sabbath should not be an issue with non-Jews because it was never given to them.

While I agree that worshiping on any day (including Saturday) is acceptable to God, I disagree that the 7th day Sabbath should be mandated and observed as if it were required for salvation. The Bible plainly speaks against this and it is not a grey area. I also believe that it is the duty of the believer to contend for the faith and lovingly point those who are teaching and promoting error to the truth of God's Word. I don't interpret this as meaning the person thinks he is better or smarter. Just like the purpose of the law is to POINT out sin and make unbelievers realize they need a Savior because they can't keep it, the believer's job is to point "to whom it may concern' to what the Bible actually says, which will lead them to the freedom and rest found in the arms of Jesus.

As you stated, love is the rule for New Covenant believers. It's about a loving relationship with God and others. A day can't speak to you, comfort you, be there for you, help you, encourage you, etc. Only a person can do that.

Eternal life begins when a person truly understands and accepts what Jesus did for him/her on the cross. It is not a work in progress because Jesus did all of the work for us and we are covered with His righteousness by faith.

QUESTION: As I prayed, pondered, studied, read the word of God and began to be confused with the reply (as you will read below), I was convicted to stop our exchange because it is very obvious that you and I feel very strongly about what believe.  This is not drawing me closer to God.  Yes, I have a lot of bad and evil experiences with the Seventh-day
Adventist people, but God has taught me to look to Him only, because we are all human.  My accountability is to Him and Him only and not to anyone else.  

Obviously, we are trying to convince each other and this is not my job.  I thought I simply wanted to share, but after some soul searching of my true motive and praying, God revealed to me that I  really was not sharing, I was trying to convince you.  So, in the spirit of love for God and fellowmen, I agree to disagree with you. We can continue to love and respect each other inspite of our differences of interpretation, understanding, etc.

If we both believe we are right and the other wrong, who is to say who is right and who is wrong?  Who is to know?  Only God.  Let's both continue to study with open hearts and minds and ask the Lord for continued guidance to His truth...He is the Way, the Truth and the Life.  I pray God's promise in 2 Timothy 3:14-17 and 2 Timothy 4:1-5
The following was what I began to write, so it is unfinished.  The rest is for my further study.  God bless.

Can we establish that we are in agreement on the following premises?
1. Our salvation is a gift..."not by works, so that no one can boast..."    Ephesians 2:8-10
2. 10 commandments CANNOT and will NOT SAVE us.  This includes the keeping of the Sabbath.  John 3:17
3. We cannot and will NEVER be able to KEEP the 10 commandments. 7th day Sabbath is not a mandate and its observance is not required for salvation just as the other 10 commandments.  This is already  established  above in    #1.  Romans 7:7,8  Your quote "the law is to POINT out sin and make unbelievers realize they need a Saviour because they can't keep it..."
4. We are only accountable to God and God alone ..."each of us will give an account of himself to God."  Romans 14:12

(I). In reply to your comment, "I find it curious that the 10 commandments have been lifted from the law as if they
stand alone."

Isn't this the standard for how we know right from wrong?  Isn't this how we know what sin is and as you said, "the law is to POINT out sin?"   James 1:23-25  This sounds conflicting to me, but it's ok.  This is where we agree to disagree.

(II). Your next statement "I also find it curious that some Christians use the 10 commandments as their compass when the Bible says that we are not under the law but the Spirit."   
(A) How do you reconcile that with Romans 3:31  "do we, then, nullify the law by this faith?  Not at all!  Rather, we uphold the law."

Dear Elizabeth,

Thank you for your comments and yes, we can agree to disagree. By the way, I do agree with the four (4) points that you listed in your correspondence.

I, too, feel that it is not my job to try to convince because convincing is the work of the Holy Spirit. I try to share as best I can from what I have gleaned from my study of the Word. My mind is always open and I continue to learn of God's amazing love.

I could respond to your unfinished comments but out of respect for your request to agree to disagree I will remain silent.

My prayer is that we will receive understanding and clarity as the Spirit leads and guides us in our studies. May God bless you always.

Seventh-Day Adventists

Patricia Allen

As a former Seventh-day Adventist (SDA), I have insight of value to those who are questioning and/or trying to decide if they should leave or become an SDA. It would be my privilege to discuss SDA church doctrine, structure, Ellen White, the old and new covenants, and their various beliefs. The Bible will be my main source of reference and all quotes, etc. will be documented. I understand that there are different variants of Adventists, but I am only familiar with what I would call traditional or main stream.

I was a Seventh-day Adventist for over 50 years. I attended their schools and I was always active in the churches I attended. I also worked for the denomination for 37 years. Since I was educated in their schools from Grade 1, and because what I was taught came from the Bible, I never questioned my beliefs. I considered myself as one whom the Lord had chosen to bring out of darkness into His marvelous light. In the year 2005, I became keenly aware that Ellen White contradicted the Scriptures numerous times and plagiarized some of her most popular writings. At this point, I had to seriously consider studying for myself with the aid of the Holy Spirit to see if indeed I really had the truth. Sad to say, I discovered that I was deluded and deliberately deceived by the church I loved and served. In 2010, I requested that my name be withdrawn from the membership roster of the church. Since then, it has been my passion to tell those in the SDA church and those considering joining Adventism, the truth and freedom that I have discovered and enjoy daily. I interact on Facebook with SDAs frequently regarding their beliefs and doctrines compared to the Bible. In addition to answering questions on this site, I have a blog ( and the purpose of my articles is to expose the false doctrines of the SDA church After 50 plus years of trying to 'work' my way, I have discovered the sweet rest in the finished work of my Savior. I've also discovered that there is nothing that I have ever done to make Jesus love me less and there is nothing that I can ever do to make Jesus love me more. Jesus just loves me and this I know!

M.A.O.M. degree (Master of Arts in Organizational Management). I also have a B.A.I.C. degree (Born Again in Christ). My calling is to help spread the Good News of the Gospel and to help lift the veil by sharing Jesus, Who is the Truth and the Light.