Seventh-Day Adventists/sda

Does adventism believe and teach that we are under the law of the old testament?

The truth depends upon what you mean or understand about the phrase "'under' the law."  Will all Mankind be judged only by God's Full Law?  Yes, that is true (Revelation 20:12,13).  Can a Man be saved by keeping God's Full Law?  No, that is not true (Ephesians 2:8,9).  Thus, Mankind is not "under" God's Law as a measure of righteousness.  But, by violating any part of God's Law, Man demonstrates that he is not interested in the salvation which God offers and such a Man then comes "under" the full condemnation of that Law -- which is the Second Death in the Lake of Fire.

So, if all Mankind will be judged only by God's Full Law -- and all have broken that Law -- how can anyone be saved?  The Answer is that Jesus Christ is the fulfillment of the Law because Jesus Christ chose to take the Death that we deserved in order that we might have the Life that He deserved.  Thus, those who are saved are covered by the righteousness which Jesus Christ earned by keeping God's Law even unto death.  But, those who end up not being saved are in that situation because only their own performance can be seen -- rather than Jesus Christ's Performance.

Revelation 22:12  "And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be."

If, then, we are saved (covered by Jesus Christ's righteousness as the fulfillment of God's Law), does that mean we are free to sin?  God forbid!  Those who are truly saved will abhor lawlessness and will desire only to come into obedience to God's Law for only that Law will insure our eternal happiness.  Sin was introduced into God's Kingdom by the first law-breaker -- Lucifer/Satan -- and he passed on his lawless nature to Mankind.  The only hope, for what is left of Mankind, is to return to a loving obedience to God's Law and those who are truly saved will not be content with waiting until Jesus comes in order to attain that obedience.  Those who are truly saved will desire that obedience now.  We may still sin; but, it will be our every desire to stop sinning through the transforming power of God the Holy Spirit.

Jude 1:24,25  "Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, to the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen."

There is only one definition for sin and that is the transgression of God's Law.  Period.  Where are the details of God's Full Law found?  They are found in the Torah, the Book of the Law, and Jesus Christ said that His summaries of the two parts of God's Law are dependent upon that same Law.

Matthew 22:37-40  Jesus said unto him, "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.  This is the first and great commandment.  And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.  On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

Did you know that Jesus did not give these as new commandments?  No, no.  He was quoting the Old Testament -- Deuteronomy 6:5 and Leviticus 19:18.  Thus, we simply had to be reminded that these two commandments were already given in the Old Testament as part of the Statutes of God.

May God richly bless you in direct proportion to your desire to know, and to do, the full truth even as it is in Yehsh' haMshyach, Jesus Christ, The Messiah, our Lord, and our Saviour.  Awmane!

Seventh-Day Adventists

Dave L Clark

I can answer most any question which is truly Bible-centric. I make this distinction because there is much which is considered biblical; but, which, is actually based only upon the traditions of men. However, I will also state this caveat: not all traditions are necessarily "bad" by definition. Otherwise, the subject about which I am passionate is The Law of God. There is much misconception in this area. In point of fact, I, myself, only woke up a bit over 10 years ago (2002) to what is truly meant by the Law of God and how that relates to Salvation. This, of course, is a touchy subject when you start mixing the Law of God with the subject of Salvation -- which, everyone should know, is a gift of God, by grace, through faith and not of works; lest any man should boast (Eph. 2:8,9). I am thankful that God the Holy Spirit has opened, and is opening, my eyes to these Truths.

I have taken Bible classes every year since the first grade through 4-year college level and study the Bible every week with others in Sabbath School. I have also continued studying the Bible, on my own, throughout my life -- particularly these last 10+ years. Therefore, I consider myself to have about 48+ years of both formal and informal Bible experience upon which to draw.

I am a current member in good and full standing with the Seventh-Day Adventist Church. I am also a level-7 member of Yahoo!Answers in the Religion & Spirituality group. Lastly, though not a related discipline, I am also a member at because of my professional standing as a computer programmer of more than 35 years.

"The Truth About the Law of God" by Dave L Clark I is a 298-page book available at Some of my writings may also be found on the following websites: << >>; << >>; and, << >>.

I have 3 years of formal college and a 4-year college equivalence degree in Information Technology. Otherwise, I am not formally credentialed in Bible doctrine or theology. However, when did God ever say that He only speaks to or through theologian-type or highly-placed sources?