Seventh-Day Adventists/Tithing

Question
Sal-
When God blesses us with something material He requires us to give back a tenth. “Then brought all Judah the tithe of the corn and the new wine and the oil unto the treasuries” (Neh. 13:12, see Lev. 27:30-32, Deut. 12:6-7, 11, 17, 2 Chron. 31:5, Neh. 10:37). The tithe laws are still in effect today for Christians because the New Testament nowhere does away with them.
Tina

Answer
Dear Sister Tina:

First let me thank you for supplying Scripture in support of your belief. I believe if we look at those texts we will see:

1. They are  addressed to Israelites and no one else.
2. They are further addressed to Israelite farmers and herdsmen and no one else.
3. They limit tithes to food and nothing else.

The New Testament does indeed do away with the tithing obligation. In as much as tithing was an Old Covenant doctrine it “vanished away” with the rest of the Old Covenant when the New Covenant came into being.  

“In speaking of a new covenant, he makes the first one obsolete. And what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away” (Hebrews 8:13 ESV).

Further there is not one example in the New Testament of Christians being taught or encouraged to tithe. Also there is not one example of Christians actually tithing. However, there are examples of Christians being exhorted to give generous free-will offerings from the heart.  

“The point is this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver” (2 Corinthians 9:6-7 ESV).

“Now about the collection for the Lord’s people: Do what I told the Galatian churches to do. On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with your income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made” (1 Corinthians 16:1-2 NIV).

“And all who believed were together and had all things in common. And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need” (Acts 2:44-45 ESV).

It appears that according to SDAism we are led by the Spirit except in matters of Christian giving then we are led by the Law of Moses!  

So that you will know that it is not only nonSDAs that believe the SDA Church to be wrong on the tithing issue I will present a quote from a current SDA. Mr. Tom Norris is well-read, knows the theology of the SDA Church, and is very Bible literate. He wrote,

"All should stay away from the confused, divided, and self-destructing SDA's.  They are the most dishonest and manipulative of all those that claim to be Protestant.  Until these arrogant Laodiceans can come to the place where they can repent for their many errors, and tell the truth about church history and the Gospel, no one should trust a word they say about anything, including the false doctrine of NT tithing.  Let all beware the SDA's!"

Mr. Norris' complete answer can be found @ http://en.allexperts.com/q/Seventh-Day-Adventists-2318/2008/4/tithing-1.htm. I highly recommend reading it.

Have a Blessed Day,
Brother Sal  

Seventh-Day Adventists

Sal