Seventh-Day Adventists/Baby Dedication

Patricia Allen
It is my understanding that S.D.A. do not baptize babies, instead they have a baby dedication ceremony. Could you please provide some information on this ceremony? What does the event entail? Does the baby become a member of S.D.A? Does the dedication require god-parents? Is a dedication the same as a christening?

I appreciate your time and assistance.

Dear Lilly,

Thank you for your questions.

You are correct that the SDA church does not baptize babies but instead have a Baby Dedication service.

Usually the pastor will have dates set aside on his calendar for such services but some pastors are open and willing to accommodate the parents. The purpose of the ceremony is for the parents or legal guardians to publically declare their intent to train their child to know the Lord. Proverbs 22:6 is often quoted: "Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it."

God-parents are not required to participate. To begin the ceremony, the pastor will invite the family involved to come forward with their child(ren). This may consist of any or all family members present, close friends and god-parents, if applicable.

The pastor usually asks questions to the parents that require a response in the affirmative regarding their intent to rightly train their child and to set godly examples, etc. He will then ask members of the congregation if they promise to be supportive of the child and parents. They answer in the affirmative.  The pastor will then take the baby, offer a prayer to dedicate him to the Lord and ask God's favor and blessing on him. The child does not become a member of the church.

Christening is the old word for baptism, which is why Adventists and some other churches that don't baptize babies use the term Baby Dedication. Some SDA churches also refer to the service as a Baby Blessing instead of Baby Dedication.

I hope this has been helpful.  

Seventh-Day Adventists

Patricia Allen

As a former Seventh-day Adventist (SDA), I have insight of value to those who are questioning and/or trying to decide if they should leave or become an SDA. It would be my privilege to discuss SDA church doctrine, structure, Ellen White, the old and new covenants, and their various beliefs. The Bible will be my main source of reference and all quotes, etc. will be documented. I understand that there are different variants of Adventists, but I am only familiar with what I would call traditional or main stream.

I was a Seventh-day Adventist for over 50 years. I attended their schools and I was always active in the churches I attended. I also worked for the denomination for 37 years. Since I was educated in their schools from Grade 1, and because what I was taught came from the Bible, I never questioned my beliefs. I considered myself as one whom the Lord had chosen to bring out of darkness into His marvelous light. In the year 2005, I became keenly aware that Ellen White contradicted the Scriptures numerous times and plagiarized some of her most popular writings. At this point, I had to seriously consider studying for myself with the aid of the Holy Spirit to see if indeed I really had the truth. Sad to say, I discovered that I was deluded and deliberately deceived by the church I loved and served. In 2010, I requested that my name be withdrawn from the membership roster of the church. Since then, it has been my passion to tell those in the SDA church and those considering joining Adventism, the truth and freedom that I have discovered and enjoy daily. I interact on Facebook with SDAs frequently regarding their beliefs and doctrines compared to the Bible. In addition to answering questions on this site, I have a blog ( and the purpose of my articles is to expose the false doctrines of the SDA church After 50 plus years of trying to 'work' my way, I have discovered the sweet rest in the finished work of my Savior. I've also discovered that there is nothing that I have ever done to make Jesus love me less and there is nothing that I can ever do to make Jesus love me more. Jesus just loves me and this I know!

M.A.O.M. degree (Master of Arts in Organizational Management). I also have a B.A.I.C. degree (Born Again in Christ). My calling is to help spread the Good News of the Gospel and to help lift the veil by sharing Jesus, Who is the Truth and the Light.