Seventh-Day Adventists/JWs and SDAs

John wrote at 2014-01-13 16:49:10
I really don’t understand this adolescent obsession with the beliefs of the SDAs.  

For those of you who may not understand, SDAs are Christians who have accepted the loving sacrifice of Jesus as their guarantee of salvation (John 3:16 – 21), and who have also exercised the religious freedoms we currently enjoy in this country by deciding to join the SDA church.

So what if SDAs believe that the 10 Commandments were not nailed to the cross and worship God on His Creation Sabbath?  So what if SDAs have an interest in the prophesies of Daniel and Revelation because they are anxious for the soon return of our Lord and the eternal elimination of sin from this universe?  So what if SDAs believe that Ellen White was a modern day prophet who tried to warn the world of the deceptions that are already upon us and spent her life trying to guide mankind to Christ as our only true Savior?  Why be so prejudicial towards other Christians just because they believe different than you?

Prejudice, judgment and harassment have no place in Christianity and anyone who understands its principles correctly will work to lead those who are truly lost to Jesus, not bicker with fellow believers over doctrine.

Frank wrote at 2014-01-14 05:13:00
1 12 2014 – JWs and SDAs

<<< The expert’s answer: >>>

Dear Brother Ronald:

Yes, I have noticed the similarity, but I would not equate the JWs & the SDAs. JWs do not believe that Jesus is God to them he is an angel. SDAs do believe that Jesus is God. That’s a big difference.

<<< Yes and they believe He is co-eternal with the Father. >>>

SDAs may be a cult depending on your definition of a cult (see You are correct that JWs predicted the return of Jesus in 1914. When that failed in order to save face the organization announced that Jesus had returned invisibly!

<<< The “secret rapture” theory states that Christ will come invisibly and take the Church to heaven. Protestants have accepted this theory as it means they can believe they won’t have to endure the great tribulation. So many times when a critic of the SDA Church accuses it of being a cult or that it teaches false doctrines, they end up accusing themselves. >>>

Such a return of Jesus is not in accordance with what we read in the Bible, but cults are rarely concerned with what the Bible has to say if it does not support their unique beliefs (for an SDA example see the Investigative Judgment).

<<< Many Christians would rather believe in the doctrine of “once saved, always saved” and have the false assurance that they can’t be lost after having believed than accept the doctrine of the investigative

judgment. >>>

“For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first” (1 Thessalonians 4:16 ESV). “Behold, He is coming with clouds, and every eye will see Him, even they who pierced Him. And all the tribes of the earth will mourn because of Him. Even so, Amen” (Revelation 1:7 NKJV). With phrases like, “cry of command”, “sound of the trumpet”, and “every eye will see Him” we can safely say that according to the Bible Jesus’ return will be anything but invisible.

<<< Just so there is no misunderstanding, SDA’s do not believe Christ will or has come invisibly. SDA’s have been foremost in announcing the soon return of Christ and that it will be seen and experienced by all who are alive at the time as the expert has stated. SDA’s believe and teach that He will not walk the earth at that time but the resurrected and glorified saints will be caught up together to be with Him in the air and taken to heaven in the same manner that He went to heaven after His resurrection. (See Rev 20:6). >>>

You are not quite accurate concerning the other prophecy of Jesus’ return as it relates to SDAs. The SDA Church had not yet begun when a Baptist preacher named William Miller predicted the return of Jesus to be in 1843. When that prophecy failed he again set a date for Jesus’ return.

<<< A prediction and a prophecy when given through the Holy Spirit are not the same. William Miller never set a specific date for the return of Jesus. A man by the name of Samuel S. Snow determined the exact date for cleansing of the sanctuary or what they believed would be the date of Christ’s return. >>>

This time it was October 22, 1844. This second failure is referred to as “The Great Disappointment”. Many believers in William Miller sold their homes and all their belongings in anticipation of Jesus' prophecies return.

<<< There are stories of those who left crops in the field and closed their businesses but not of selling all they had. >>>

When that didn't happen some people went insane and some committed suicide. In the aftermath of this disaster was conceived the SDA Church.

<<< The great disappointment was not a “disaster”. There are no reports of people going insane or committing suicide. >>>

In order to save face these SDA “pioneers” claimed the Miller wasn’t wrong about the date, but was wrong concerning what was supposed to happen. They now claimed that on October 22, 1844 Jesus moved from the Holy Place in the heavenly sanctuary to the Most Holy Place. He did this to begin the Investigative Judgment (IJ) after completing the IJ he would then return to earth. Of course, making it "invisible" means no one can prove you wrong.

The JWs (1914) learned this from their cousins the SDAs (1844).

<<< The expert is an expert in using deceptive wording to make SDA beliefs appear to be something other than Bible doctrine. The true meaning of the phrase, “And he said unto me, Unto two thousand and three hundred days; then shall the sanctuary be cleansed.” (Dan 8:14 KJV) was not arrived at to make the event “invisible”. It is because IJ doctrine denies the “once saved, always saved” doctrine, a doctrine that isn’t Biblical by the way, that they are obligated to reject it out of hand. In rejecting this prophecy, the Protestant world also rejected Daniel 9:24-27 because it has the same starting date. Those verses tell of the end of the Jewish probationary period and the first advent of the Messiah. As a consequence they have accepted the Jesuit counter-reformation theology that the 70th week of the prophecy will be fulfilled at the time of the ‘secret rapture’ and they apply it to the antichrist, not the Messiah.  In this manner, the Papacy has removed itself from being the end time antichrist and the beast power of Rev 13:3. >>>

The belief that Jesus waited until 1844 to enter the Most Holy Place to sit at God the Father’s right hand is not biblical. The Bible clearly teaches that Jesus entered the Most Holy Place upon his ascension to heaven.

“He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high” (Hebrews 1:3 ESV).

“Now the point in what we are saying is this: we have such a high priest, one who is seated at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in heaven” (Hebrews 8:1 ESV).

“But when this priest had offered for all time one sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God” (Hebrews 10:12 NIV).

“Fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has  sat down at the right hand of the throne of God” (Hebrews 12:2 NASB).

“So then, after the Lord had spoken to them, He was received up into heaven, and sat down at the right hand of God” (Mark 16:19 NKJV).

<<< The phrase, “sat down at the right hand of God” and its variants does not mean Jesus could not have ministered in the Holy Place until 1844. Jesus’ rightful place in heaven has always been at the right hand of the Father. Before the cross He talked with man on earth as the “angel of the Lord” and therefore was not always seated at His Father’s right hand. He gave up that position when He came to this earth as one of us. Because His mission was successful He was restored to His rightful position at His Father’s right hand.

The Apostle John saw in vision Christ as High Priest ministering in the Holy Place of the heavenly sanctuary during the Church age (See Rev 1:13). The seventh Church is Laodicea which means “people judged”. That is the final church and it represents the final period of earth’s history beginning in 1844 and ending with the second coming. In the words of John the Baptist, ". . . Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." (Matthew 3:2 KJV) >>>  

It is true that the JWs & SDAs both could not accept the truth of their respective failed prophecies.

<<< The expert has once again used false wording to discredit the early SDA pioneers and the SDA Church. Neither William Miller nor Ellen White had a vision or dream showing them the Lord would return on Oct. 22, 1844. It is a misinterpretation of a Bible prophecy that led William Miller to say Jesus would return in 1843 or 1844. It also cannot be said that the IJ doctrine was invented to cover up a false prophecy for the same reason. It also cannot be said that the early pioneers could not accept the fact that they gave a prophecy that failed, once again for the same reason. And they had no trouble accepting the fact that the Lord did not return on Oct. 22, 1844. If they hadn’t accepted it they would not have pursued a correct understanding of the prophecy. And one final clarification. Mrs. White and the SDA Church have never prophesied a date for the return of Jesus. >>>

Therefore, we have the invisible return and the Investigative Judgment not to mention the Shut Door dogma of SDAism.

<<< There is soon to be one more shut door. “And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut. Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us. But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not. Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.” (Matthew 25:10-13 KJV) When the IJ is complete Jesus utters the fateful words, “He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still. And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.” (Revelation 22:11-12 KJV)

Thanks for the question.

God Bless You,

Brother Sal

<<< In Christ’s love,

Frank >>>  

Seventh-Day Adventists

I am privileged to be able to offer an alternative insight into the complicated world of Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) theology. I will rely heavily on the Bible, but will also consider history and use logic in exposing deficiencies in SDA teachings. I would ask anyone who is considering becoming a SDA or if you are already in the SDA church, but are searching for the truth, to please allow me to offer a different explanation for the claims of the SDA. Remember : "The truth will set you free" (John 8:32). I can answer your questions pertaining to the beliefs and history of the SDA. I am not able to answer questions concerning spirituality or church discipline.

I have extensively studied the theology of the Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) for a number of years. I have many books and tape sets produced by experts in this field of study. I have debated current members of the SDA church. I have a great desire to help these people see the truth.

M.S. degree in Food, Nutrition, and Dietetics