Seventh-Day Adventists/does God's law change

Question
Hello Sal and Happy New Year to you!
I praise God for you and look forward to what God has in store this year as He continues to use you as a vessel for His glory. I have said it before and I'll say it again, you are truly a blessing. My question today pertains to God's Law. I know God doesn't change but does His law change? I was speaking to an SDA friend of mine about clean and unclean foods. Of course, i believe all food is ok for believers to eat. My SDA friend disagreed completely. She stated that God would be contradicting His self if he allowed us to eat unclean meat. But Hebrews 7:12 states that God's law does Change. What is your understanding of heb. 7:12 about God's law changing and eating unclean meat?

Answer
Dear ANG:

A happy, healthy New Year to you & yours also.

You ask does God's law change? If by "God's law" you mean God's moral law then I say, no. If by "God's law" you mean everything God has ever required then I say, yes. Once God required His children to never wear clothes made of more than one material (see Leviticus 19:19). Have you ever heard a Christian preacher require this of God's people today? Once God required all males to be circumcised (see Genesis 17:10-12). This law of God does not apply to God's people in the New Covenant. In fact if one accepts circumcision he gives up Christ! "Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all" (Galatians 5:2 NIV; cf. 1 Corinthians 7:19).  So with these two examples we can see that God's law does indeed change in the sense that something once required is no longer necessary.

Concerning Hebrews 7:12 Paul clearly taught that the Old Covenant priesthood and the Old Covenant law were inseparable. “For when the priesthood is changed, of necessity there takes place a change of law also” (Hebrews 7:12 NASB). The Old Covenant priesthood was foundational to the Old Covenant law. The priests taught the people the law of God. The law could not function without the Levitical priesthood. The priesthood and the law were inseparable. Neither the Old Covenant law nor the Levitical priesthood could exist apart from one another.

“Now if perfection was through the Levitical priesthood (for on the basis of it the people received the Law), what further need was there for another priest to arise according to the order of Melchizedek, and not be designated according to the order of Aaron? For when the priesthood is changed, of necessity there takes place a change of law also” (Hebrews 7:11-12 NASB).

Note in v. 12 it says a change “of” law not “in” law. This is significant because a change “in” law would mean that some changes were made to the body of law. A change “of” law means the entire body of law is done away with and replaced with a completely new law. This is why Paul can say, “By calling this covenant ‘new,’ he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear” (Hebrews 8:13 NIV).

Some claim that this verse means a change occurred in the law by the removal of the ceremonial law. That would be a change "in" law not "of" law. The ceremonial law was part of the whole Old Covenant law. Therefore, its removal would be a change "in" the Old Covenant law. A change "of" law occurred when the Old Covenant law, the Ten Commandments and the Sabbath included, was replaced by the New Covenant law. The tablets of stone which brought death were replaced with the Holy Spirit which brings life (see 2 Corinthians 3:7-11). The transitory rest of the 7th day Sabbath was replaced with the eternal rest of Christ.

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light” (Matthew 11:28-30 NIV).

When God began the new creation with Noah and his family God told them to eat all animals (see Genesis 9:3). While Jesus was setting the foundation of the New Covenant he declared all foods clean (see Mark 7:15-23). Paul was convinced that Jesus rendered all foods clean, but that fellow believers consciences should be respected. "I know and am convinced by the Lord Jesus that there is nothing unclean of itself; but to him who considers anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean" (Romans 14:14 NKJV; cf. 14:1-6).  

Thank you for the questions. If I can be of further help just let me know.

God Bless You,

Brother Sal  

Seventh-Day Adventists

Sal