Seventh-Day Adventists/JWs and SDAs

Dear Sal:
Have you noticed a great similarity between the JWs and the SDAs? Both predicted the coming of Jesus on a particular date and when that failed to happen they claimed they weren't wrong. The JWs said Jesus did return, but it was invisibly! The SDAs said Jesus actually went from one room in the temple in heaven to another room again invisibly! Cult members can't accept being wrong even if it means having to invent new meanings for failed prophecies.

Dear Brother Ronald:

Yes, I have noticed the similarity, but I would not equate the JWs & the SDAs. JWs do not believe that Jesus is God to them he is an angel. SDAs do believe that Jesus is God. That’s a big difference. SDAs may be a cult depending on your definition of a cult (see You are correct that JWs predicted the return of Jesus in 1914. When that failed in order to save
face the organization announced that Jesus had returned invisibly! Such a return of Jesus is not in accordance with what we read in the Bible, but cults are rarely concerned with what the Bible has to say if it does not support their unique beliefs (for an SDA example see the
Investigative Judgment). “For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first” (1 Thessalonians 4:16 ESV). “Behold, He is coming with clouds, and every eye will see Him, even they who pierced Him. And all the tribes of the earth will mourn because of Him. Even so, Amen” (Revelation 1:7 NKJV). With phrases like, “cry of command”, “sound of the trumpet”, and “every eye will see Him” we can safely say that according to the Bible Jesus’ return will be anything but

You are not quite accurate concerning the other prophecy of Jesus’ return as it relates to SDAs. The SDA Church had not yet begun when a Baptist preacher named William Miller predicted the return of Jesus to be in 1843. When that prophecy failed he again set a date for Jesus’
return. This time it was October 22, 1844. This second failure is referred to as “The Great Disappointment”. Many believers in William Miller sold their homes and all their belongings in  anticipation of Jesus' prophecies return. When that didn't happen some people went insane and some committed suicide. In the aftermath of this disaster was conceived the SDA Church. In order to save face these SDA “pioneers” claimed the Miller wasn’t wrong about the date, but
was wrong concerning what was supposed to happen. They now claimed that on October 22, 1844 Jesus moved from the Holy Place in the heavenly sanctuary to the Most Holy Place. He did this to begin the Investigative Judgment (IJ) after completing the IJ he would then return to earth. Of course, making it "invisible" means no one can prove you wrong. The JWs (1914)learned this from their cousins the SDAs (1844). The belief that Jesus waited until 1844 to enter the Most Holy Place to sit at God the Father’s right hand is not biblical. The Bible clearly teaches that Jesus entered the Most Holy Place upon his ascension to heaven.

“He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high” (Hebrews 1:3 ESV).

“Now the point in what we are saying is this: we have such a high priest, one who is seated at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in heaven” (Hebrews 8:1 ESV).

“But when this priest had offered for all time one sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God” (Hebrews 10:12 NIV).

“Fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has  sat down at the right hand of the throne of God” (Hebrews 12:2 NASB).

“So then, after the Lord had spoken to them, He was received up into heaven, and sat down at the right hand of God” (Mark 16:19 NKJV).

It is true that the JWs & SDAs both could not accept the truth of their respective failed prophecies. Therefore, we have the invisible return and the Investigative Judgment not to mention the Shut Door dogma of SDAism.

Thanks for the question.

God Bless You,
Brother Sal  

Seventh-Day Adventists

I am privileged to be able to offer an alternative insight into the complicated world of Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) theology. I will rely heavily on the Bible, but will also consider history and use logic in exposing deficiencies in SDA teachings. I would ask anyone who is considering becoming a SDA or if you are already in the SDA church, but are searching for the truth, to please allow me to offer a different explanation for the claims of the SDA. Remember : "The truth will set you free" (John 8:32). I can answer your questions pertaining to the beliefs and history of the SDA. I am not able to answer questions concerning spirituality or church discipline.

I have extensively studied the theology of the Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) for a number of years. I have many books and tape sets produced by experts in this field of study. I have debated current members of the SDA church. I have a great desire to help these people see the truth.

M.S. degree in Food, Nutrition, and Dietetics