Seventh-Day Adventists/nature

Question
the humane nature we are born with its fallen but not sinful. therefore Jesus could take on our nature then live a sinless life. what is David saying in psalms 51:5 and 58:3 help me understand this most important topic. thanks so much in CHRIST bro mike

Answer
Mike,

>> the humane nature we are born with its fallen but not sinful.

Depends upon what you mean by that.  Are we born guilty of sin?  No.  But, are we born predisposed to sin?  Yes.  We are born with a carnal nature, which is a sinful nature that no matter how hard we try (on our own) is predisposed to sin.

>> therefore Jesus could take on our nature then live a sinless life.

Again, depends upon what you mean by that.  He took on our physical nature but not our spiritual nature (Luke 1:35).  To take on our physical nature means that He was subject to the same physical weaknesses that we have to deal with, too.  However, the reason He is called the second Adam (1Cor. 15:45-47) is because He was given the same perfect spiritual nature that Adam was originally given.  Adam squandered that gift and chose to sin.  Jesus Christ did <u>not </u> come to show that, on my own, I do not have to sin.  No, I am predisposed to sin and cannot help but sin if left to my own devices (Rom. 5:19).

Rather, Jesus Christ came to show that <u>Adam </u> did not have to make that choice.  God's Law <u>is </u> possible to keep if one chooses God, first.  Adam could have chosen to obey God -- but he didn't.  So, Christ came to choose obedience and then to take on our guilt and die the Second Death to provide an Atonement for all sin -- but only if the sinner chooses to accept Christ's death in place of their own.  If we make that choice, we have been promised a new heart and a new mind that comes through the process of sanctification (Ezekiel 36:26) and it comes with a new appreciation for God's Law (Jer. 31:33; Heb. 8:10).

>> what is David saying in psalms 51:5 and 58:3 ...

Psalm 51:5  Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.

Psalm 58:3  The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies.

To me, these two verses are proof that the carnal nature with which we are born will only lead to sin and destruction if left to our own devices.  So, we are born into sin -- not into its guilt; but, without Jesus Christ, we are born into the inescapable fact of sin's destruction.

May God richly bless you in direct proportion to your desire to know, and to do, the full truth even as it is in Yehsh' haMshyach, Jesus Christ, The Messiah, our Lord, and our Saviour.  Awmane!

Sincerely,
Dave

Seventh-Day Adventists

Dave L Clark