Seventh-Day Adventists/Confessed Sins & the IJ

Question
Dear Mr. Norris

I have a couple of questions to ask you about the Investigative Judgment.

"As the sins of the people were anciently transferred, in figure, to the earthly sanctuary by the blood of the sin offering, so our sins are, in fact, transferred to the heavenly sanctuary by the blood of Christ. And as the typical cleansing of the earthly was accomplished by the removal of the sins by which it had been polluted, so the actual cleansing of the heavenly is to be accomplished by the removal, or blotting out, of the sins which are there recorded. This necessitates an examination of the books of record to determine who, through repentance of sin and faith in Christ, are entitled to the benefits of His atonement."  - Ellen G White, The Faith I Live By page 206

Does the words "in fact" in the above passage refer to the transfer of real (actual sins) into the heavenly sanctuary? If confessed sins are only figuratively transferred to the heavenly sanctuary, then the heavenly sanctuary is not literally defiled and Christ is only figuratively cleansing it (i.e. pretending to cleanse it) and finally He will figuratively place those figuratively-transferred sins figuratively upon Satan's head. In other words, no actual confessed sins are placed upon Satan's head at the conclusion of the Investigative Judgment. If such is the case, then what has happened or will happen to your actual confessed sins? (To use a food analogy, the record of confessed sins is a photo of rotten eggs and the actual confessed sins are rotten eggs).

Thank you very much.

Andy

Answer
The IJ Is False

The SDA Pioneers were sincere, but very uneducated and wrong about many things.  They did the best they could with the primitive resources and knowledge available to them in the 19th century.  No one should expect them not to make some mistakes and errors that must be corrected by later generations.  

While the SDA’s did get some things right, the development of the Investigative Judgment was a great mistake.  This misunderstood prophetic teaching is legalistic and full of error.  It competes with the doctrine of the 2nd Coming and the Gospel, as well as the fundamentals of the Three Angels Messages.  

Let everyone understand: there is no such doctrine anywhere in the Bible, much less in the teachings of Christ or Historic Adventism.

In other words, the IJ, which is based on both Old Testament prophetic passages in Daniel and Levitical word associations from the Torah, is not of faith.   The IJ is not a valid New Covenant doctrine.  It is futile and fruitless speculation, and thus no amount of tinkering, adjustment, or revision can ever make it credible or true.  The IJ is “strange doctrine,” unknown to Jesus and the apostles.

1Tim. 1:3  As I urged you upon my departure for Macedonia, remain on at Ephesus so that you may instruct certain men not to teach strange doctrines,

1Tim. 1:4 nor to pay attention to myths and endless genealogies, which give rise to mere speculation rather than furthering the administration of God which is by faith.

1Tim. 1:5 But the goal of our instruction is love from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.

1Tim. 1:6 For some men, straying from these things, have turned aside to fruitless discussion,

1Tim. 1:7  wanting to be teachers of the Law, even though they do not understand either what they are saying or the matters about which they make confident assertions.

The SDA’s have made wretched fools of themselves by promoting the IJ all these years.  

Moreover, the changes and so called improvements that have been made to this awful doctrine in the late 20th century have only made matters worse, as did the fraudulent trial of Dr. Desmond Ford in 1980 at Glacier View.  

Today, it is clear that the doctrine of the IJ could not be more false and wrong.  There is zero truth to this amateur, naïve eschatology that has been proven impossible and very wrong by the leading SDA scholars, as well as all others.

See:

The Judgment in the 1st Angels Message
http://www.atomorrow.net/fluxbb/viewtopic.php?id=227

Investigative Judgment
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Seventh-Day-Adventists-2318/2012/7/investigative-judg

http://www.atomorrow.net/fluxbb/viewtopic.php?pid=11372#p11372

The Genuine Pre Advent Judgment (PAJ)

The repudiation of the IJ does not mean there is no Pre-Advent Judgment of the Church, --there is.  But it is not located in the OT book of Daniel.  Why?  Because the OT does not correct or judge the NT Church.  Daniel, an OC prophet, has no authority over the church.  

Only Jesus can judge the church.  So if there is going to be a PAJ, Christ must be involved as he is the judge of the church.

John 5:22 “For not even the Father judges anyone, but He has given all judgment to the Son,

So what is the real PAJ?

Let everyone in the Adventist Community understand that the genuine Pre- Advent Judgment of the last church is found in Rev 3: 14.  Not Dan 8: 14.  

The SDA’s need to repudiate their many Old Covenant errors and views and study the NT to find the genuine PAJ.  They must repent of the IJ, fully embracing the teachings of Christ in all things, including what Jesus teaches about the Pre-Advent Judgment of the church.

Rev. 3:14  “To the angel of the church in Laodicea write:  The Amen, the faithful and true Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God, says this:

Rev. 3:15   ‘I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot; I wish that you were cold or hot.

Rev. 3:16 ‘So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of My mouth.

Rev. 3:17 ‘Because you say, “I am rich, and have become wealthy, and have need of nothing,” and you do not know that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked,

Rev. 3:18 I advise you to buy from Me gold refined by fire so that you may become rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself, and that the shame of your nakedness will not be revealed; and eye salve to anoint your eyes so that you may see.

Rev. 3:19 ‘Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline; therefore be zealous and repent.

All SDA’s, must repudiate the IJ as false doctrine and error and move forward to embrace the true PAJ, which is found in Rev 3: 14.

Confessed Sins

As for this IJ based idea that confessed sins are transported into heaven by Jesus blood; this is absurd and “strange” on many levels.  It is great error, myth, and blasphemy promoted by those that do not understand the Gospel.

First, the Bible does not teach that sin resides in blood, much less that sins are transferred into heaven because of Jesus blood.  Such a view makes Christ an agent of sin, even as it defiles him and all heaven.

So this foolish teaching falls apart on this point alone, even as there are many other points that also make no biblical sense.

2Tim. 4:3-4 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires, and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths.

Confessed sins are not transferred to Jesus blood, nor are they taken to heaven in any form for later examination.  Such a legalistic Celestial Judgment, supposedly taking place in a galaxy far, far, away is cultic fantasy not supported by the Gospel.

Blood Does Not Equal Sin

The SDA’s are too found of the Old Covenant.  They have wasted their time looking at the smallest details in the Torah for them to mix with the New Covenant.  But their many assumptions have fallen flat.  They understand neither the Old Covenant nor the New, which is why they have such “strange” doctrines like the IJ.

Blood in the OT equates to LIFE.  Not sins.  It also represents Salvation, not wrath from Judgment.  

Blood in the NT equates to the Gospel teachings of Christ.  Not to sin.  Jesus teaches his blood represents Eternal Life, not sin.  Thus the SDA’s are very, very, confused about the details of the Gospel and it shows.

Gen. 9:4 “Only you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood.

Ex. 12:13 ‘The blood shall be a sign for you on the houses where you live; and when I see the blood I will pass over you, and no plague will befall you to destroy you when I strike the land of Egypt.

John 6:54 “He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.

John 6:55 “For My flesh is true food, and My blood is true drink.

John 6:56 “He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him.

1Cor. 10:16 Is not the cup of blessing which we bless a sharing in the blood of Christ? Is not the bread which we break a sharing in the body of Christ?

1Cor. 11:25 In the same way He took the cup also after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood; do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.”

Jesus “spotless” blood represents righteousness, perfection, healing, and peace; it is not a conduit for sin, nor is there any sin in his blood, metaphorically or literally, to be transported to heaven as the confused SDA’s teach.  The saints are saved and cleansed by Jesus righteous blood, which contains no sin.

1Pet. 1:18 knowing that you were not redeemed with perishable things like silver or gold from your futile way of life inherited from your forefathers,

1Pet. 1:19 but with precious blood, as of a lamb unblemished and spotless, the blood of Christ.

1Pet. 2:24 and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed.

1John 1:7 but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.

Rev. 1:5 and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth. To Him who loves us and released us from our sins by His blood —

Col. 1:20 and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His cross; through Him, I say, whether things on earth or things in heaven.

Where does the Bible teach that Jesus blood is full of sin?  And that these sins enter heaven because of Jesus blood?

Contrary to the SDA doctrine of the IJ, there is no sin in Christ’s blood to “defile” him, much less to transport into heaven!   

The cross destroyed sin; which is very different from claiming that sins are transferred into Jesus blood, becoming a part of him, so he could take sin into heaven to perform a judgment of works.   Such doctrines are worthless drivel.  Shame on the SDA’s for being so cultic and wrong about so much.  They are great blasphemers for all to see.

Rom. 6:8  Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him,

Rom. 6:9 knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, is never to die again; death no longer is master over Him.

Rom. 6:10 For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God.

Rom. 6:11 Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.

Heb. 7:26  For it was fitting for us to have such a high priest, holy, innocent, undefiled, separated from sinners and exalted above the heavens;

Heb. 7:27 who does not need daily, like those high priests, to offer up sacrifices, first for His own sins and then for the sins of the people, because this He did once for all when He offered up Himself.

Christ died to sin on the cross and destroyed sin then and there.  He did not become infused with the sins of the world so as to take them to heaven for future study and judgment out in deep space.  The IJ is cultic madness and great blasphemy.

We are “justified,” “blessed,” and “saved” by his Jesus blood, even as Christ “releases” the believer from their sins, “by his blood.”  How could this take place if Jesus blood is full of sin?

Just stop and think: if Jesus blood contains sin, how can anyone be saved by sinful blood?  How does that work?

Christ does not have sinful blood, nor did he take any sins to heaven in his blood as the confused SDA’s teach.  They must repent of these dangerous myths and fabrications before they become totally blind, unable to understand the Word or the Gospel.

Rev. 1:5  from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth. To Him who loves us and released us from our sins by His blood —

1Cor. 10:16 Is not the cup of blessing which we bless a sharing in the blood of Christ? Is not the bread, which we break a sharing in the body of Christ?

Eph. 1:7 In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace

Jesus has holy and righteous blood. It is not full of sin.  Nor did Christ take any sins with him to heaven, as the SDA teach.  There is no special judgment in heaven of the saints, much less one that examines their works, starting in 1844.

Let all understand: the doctrine of the IJ repudiates the blood of Christ, even as it fails to qualify as the Pre- Advent Judgment of the church, which is found in Revelation.  

The doctrine of the IJ is nothing more than absurd and innocent 19th century error that has been refuted by one SDA scholar after another, not to mention every non-SDA scholar in the world.  

The doctrine of the IJ is impossible.  It is anti-Gospel theology that cannot be defended in the 21st century.  It has zero support from the Bible, much less from the teachings of Christ.  It is great sin to embrace such doctrinal fraud.

John 5:24  “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

1John 1:9  If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

In fact, here is a discussion with a modern IJ expert.  He quickly ran away in defeat because he could not defend this absurd doctrine that has ruined the modern Advent Movement.  Let everyone see how easy it is to refute the IJ.

IJ Discussion: Tom Norris & Herb Kersten
http://www.atomorrow.net/fluxbb/viewtopic.php?id=1173

No scholar or apologist dares come online with Tom Norris or Dr. ford to debate the validity of the IJ.  Clifford Goldstein understands this fact and thus he still refuses such a debate because he knows he can’t prevail.  Herb Kersten had to learn what Goldstein already knew; that no one, no matter how well educated or motivated, can defend the IJ.  

The IJ is one of the worst doctrines in the world.  If anyone thinks otherwise I would welcome a public discussion to further prove the point.

Where Do Confessed Sins Go?

If sins are not sent into heaven via Jesus blood, as the SDA’s teach, then where do they go?  What does the Bible say?

When God forgives sin, in the name of Christ, those sins cease to exist.  They are “wiped away,” thrown into the “depths of the sea.”  They are not “taken into account,” much less moved into heaven and stored for future analysis and judgment.

Rom. 4:7 “BLESSED ARE THOSE WHOSE LAWLESS DEEDS HAVE BEEN FORGIVEN,

Rom. 4:8 “BLESSED IS THE MAN WHOSE SIN THE LORD WILL NOT TAKE INTO ACCOUNT.”

Mic. 7:19 He will again have compassion on us;
  He will tread our iniquities under foot.
  Yes, You will cast all their sins
  Into the depths of the sea.

Acts 3:19 “Therefore repent and return, so that your sins may be wiped away, in order that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord;

In addition, when a person embraces the Gospel, (their names, not their sins), are written in the Book of Life.

Phil. 4:3 Indeed, true companion, I ask you also to help these women who have shared my struggle in the cause of the gospel, together with Clement also and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life.

Rev. 3:5 ‘He who overcomes will thus be clothed in white garments; and I will not erase his name from the book of life, and I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.

The doctrine of the IJ teaches that our sins are transferred and stored in heaven. To be examined to see who is safe to save.  Thus the sinner never has true forgiveness, only conditional salvation until such time as their personal record and character are examined for sin.  

Such teaching is not from the Gospel.  The Bible knows nothing about any Judgment of the saints, starting in 1844.  The IJ is false doctrine.  Period!

Consequences of the IJ

No other church or denomination embraces, or has ever embraced, the doctrine of the IJ.  It is an SDA exclusive, original only to them.  It is also the reason why so many leave this disoriented Denomination, and why Adventism can no longer grow.

The legalistic SDA’s have confused themselves about the Gospel by thinking Jesus blood contains the sins of billions of people.  This is such an unbiblical, anti-Gospel concept that it boggles the mind.  But such is the way of legalists.  The SDA’s are Old Covenant Christians.  Consequently, their view of Jesus and his blood is very twisted and wrong.

Unless the SDA’s repent of this awful doctrine, which they claim is the “Pre-Advent Judgment” of the church, and repudiate what took place at Glacier View in 1980, they are doomed.  They will continue to self-destruct because they teach blasphemy and legalism, not Gospel eschatology as they pretend.

Jesus blood is righteous, not sinful.  It is “spotless,” cleansing, and holy.  It does not, not, not, represent sin.  It equates with Redemption and the forgiveness of sin.

Eph. 1:7  In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace

How ironic that the genuine Pre Advent Judgment, which is the Laodicean Message of Rev 3: 14, calls for repentance and Gospel Reform.   But the SDA’s have no plans to repent for anything.  They would rather embrace a false, legalistic version of the PAJ than the genuine doctrine, which condemns their wretched errors and demands repentance.  Thus, like the Jews, they are blind and deaf (on purpose) to the genuine teachings of Christ.  

Here are a number of points that easily expose the IJ as false doctrine.  These points stand alone, with each one being enough to fully repudiate the IJ.  When they are all added together, the IJ is condemned 7 x’s over.

**7 Irrefutable Points Prove IJ FALSE**

1. Jesus does not support the SDA interpretation of Dan 8:14; He embraces another view of this passage, which all that follow Christ must also embrace.

2.  The Pre-Advent Judgment of the Church cannot be in the OT or the book of Daniel.  If the PAJ exists at all, which it does, it must be found in the NT.  Only the NT can define Gospel doctrine for the church, not the OT.

3.  The PAJ of the last church is found in Rev 3: 14.  It is not found in the OT book of Daniel as the SDA’s claim.  Here is the true doctrine of the Pre-Advent Judgment, which applies to every church and denomination today, including the SDA’s!

4.  Neither the OT nor the NT supports a secret “Celestial Judgment” way out in deep space to examine the believer’s sanctification.  There is no such private and special Judgment in the Bible.  The IJ is a great error, and no amount of double-talk from the SDA’s can change the theological or historical facts.

5.  No serious scholars or historians support the IJ, nor has any church or denomination ever embraced this teaching, except for the SDA’s, and most of them now repudiate it, including their best scholars, like Dr. Ford and the late Raymond Cottrell.  The SDA’s are being very dishonest to pretend otherwise.

6.  While Traditional, Takoma Park Adventism defines the IJ as a fundamental “pillar” of the Advent Movement, anchored in Rev 14: 7.  This was never true.  Not one Pioneer, including Ellen White or Uriah Smith ever made such a claim.  In fact, there is no such “pillar” in any of the Three Angels Messages, nor is this doctrine the reason why Adventists exist, as many have been indoctrinated.

The doctrine of the 2nd Coming as the Day of Judgment is the reason why the Advent Movement came into existence.  Rev 14: 7 was only interpreted (correctly) as the Judgment of the 2nd Coming.  The later developing IJ, (1857) had zero to do with the doctrinal development of any the Three Angels Messages, which pillars had already been erected by 1847.

7.  The doctrine of the IJ is associated with long list of additional false, legalistic doctrines from the SDA’s, such as tithing, OC Sabbath keeping, Jewish food laws and perfectionism, just to name a few.  It is not a stand-alone error, but a cluster of error that must be repudiated.

The IJ repudiates the Gospel and marginalizes the 2nd Coming, which is the real Judgment pillar in the 1st Angels Message.   It refutes the Gospel and the Foundational pillars of Historic Adventism, which means it, must be disowned by anyone who wants to embrace the original and genuine version of the Three Angels Messages and the real PAJ.

Today, the Advent Movement is dying because of the false doctrine of the IJ.  Millions of members have left because they do not believe in this absurd, anti-Gospel eschatology that makes no biblical sense whatsoever.  It is time for the legalistic IJ to be removed from the Adventist Community.  It is a great evil that only brings debate and schism.

Conclusion:

While the SDA’s were correct to understand that there is a Pre-Advent Judgment of the church prior to the 2nd Coming, they failed to find it because they were looking in the Old Testament instead of the New. Unless they can repent and embrace the genuine PAJ in Rev 3: 14, as directed by Christ, they will continue to self-destruct for all to see.

Only Jesus can judge the Laodicean church prior to the 2nd Coming, (which is the great Judgment Day of the world).  And he has clearly done this in Rev 3: 14, which is also known as the Laodicean Message.

The SDA’s need to repent for thinking Daniel 8: 14 is the PAJ and return to the serious search for Gospel Truth in the New Testament.  The IJ is false and foolish doctrine for the blind.

I hope this answers your question.

Tom Norris for All Experts & Adventist Reform

Seventh-Day Adventists

Tom Norris